From: "Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky" <inaky.perez-gonzalez@intel.com>
To: "Yasunori Goto" <ygoto@fsw.fujitsu.com>
Cc: "Pavel Machek" <pavel@suse.cz>, <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@intel.com>,
	"IWAMOTO Toshihiro" <iwamoto@valinux.co.jp>,
	"Hirokazu Takahashi" <taka@valinux.co.jp>,
	"Linux Hotplug Memory Support" <lhms-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: RE: [Lhms-devel] RE: memory hotremove prototype, take 3
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:59:04 -0800	[thread overview]

Grrrr ... my concern is that Murphy's Law says that we'll need to hotplug
the memory that we cannot in most of the cases (pray not). I guess I will
need to research some more to think how to do it.

I still think we could use the CPU's virtualization mechanism--of course,
and as you and Tony Luck mention, we'd had to track down and modify the
parts that assume physical memory et al. That they use large pages or
not doesn't seem to be such a big problem (other than allocating a bigger
chunk for transfer) and that performance wise, it'd take longer to
do _that_ part, but still I prefer it to taking the machine down.

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own (and my fault)