From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: John Johansen <john.johansen@canonical.com>
Cc: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@hansenpartnership.com>,
	Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>,
	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@suse.cz>,
	Seth Arnold <seth.arnold@canonical.com>,
	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: regression in 4.14-rc2 caused by apparmor: add base infastructure for socket mediation
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:36:12 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM, John Johansen
<john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:

> actually a lot of work and testing has been done. A regression was
> found, the fix is in testing and it should land soon, but its not the
> regression you are having issues with.

Stop gthis f*cking idiocy already!

As far as the kernel is concerned, a regressions is THE KERNEL NOT
GIVING THE SAME END RESULT WITH THE SAME USER SPACE.

The regression was in the kernel. You trying to shift the regressions
somewhere  else is bogus SHIT.

And seriously, it's the kind of garbage that makes me think your
opinion and your code cannot be relied on.

If you are not willing to admit that your commit 651e28c5537a
("apparmor: add base infastructure for socket mediation") caused a
regression, then honestly, I don't want to get commits from you.

It's that simple.

I'm *very* unhappy with the security layer as is, the last thing I
want to see is some security layer developer that then goes on to try
to re-define was regression means.

If you break existing user space setups THAT IS A REGRESSION.

It's not ok to say "but we'll fix the user space setup".

Really. NOT OK.

I think I will have to revert that garbage, for the simple reason that
I refuse to have code in the kernel from maintainers that cannot even
understand the first rule of kernel development.

The first rule is:

 - we don't cause regressions

and the corollary is that when regressions *do* occur, we admit to
them and fix them, instead of blaming user space.

The fact that you have apparently been denying the regression now for
three weeks means that I will revert, and I will stop pulling apparmor
requests until the people involved understand how kernel development
is done.

               Linus