* 4.11-rc8 makes my Dell Inspiron 5558 crash
@ 2017-04-27 22:56 Diego Viola
From: Diego Viola @ 2017-04-27 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

For some reason 4.11-rc8 makes my Dell Inspiron 5558 crash. The
problem is very random and I don't know how to reproduce it.

That said, this only started happening with 4.11-rc8 and I've been
using 4.11 since rc3 and it didn't happen at all with the previous
RCs.

Not sure how I could debug this, there is nothing in the logs either.

I'm on Arch Linux x86_64.

Thanks,
Diego

* Re: 4.11-rc8 makes my Dell Inspiron 5558 crash
@ 2017-04-27 23:09 ` Diego Viola
From: Diego Viola @ 2017-04-27 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For some reason 4.11-rc8 makes my Dell Inspiron 5558 crash. The
> problem is very random and I don't know how to reproduce it.
>
> That said, this only started happening with 4.11-rc8 and I've been
> using 4.11 since rc3 and it didn't happen at all with the previous
> RCs.
>
> Not sure how I could debug this, there is nothing in the logs either.
>
> I'm on Arch Linux x86_64.
>
> Thanks,
> Diego

Not sure if "crash" is the best way to describe it, but when I'm using
i3 and browsing X will freeze and I won't be able to do anything, Num
Lock won't work either.

I can only do a hard reset at that point.

@ 2017-04-28 17:32   ` Diego Viola
From: Diego Viola @ 2017-04-28 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For some reason 4.11-rc8 makes my Dell Inspiron 5558 crash. The
>> problem is very random and I don't know how to reproduce it.
>>
>> That said, this only started happening with 4.11-rc8 and I've been
>> using 4.11 since rc3 and it didn't happen at all with the previous
>> RCs.
>>
>> Not sure how I could debug this, there is nothing in the logs either.
>>
>> I'm on Arch Linux x86_64.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Diego
>
> Not sure if "crash" is the best way to describe it, but when I'm using
> i3 and browsing X will freeze and I won't be able to do anything, Num
> Lock won't work either.
>
> I can only do a hard reset at that point.
>
> Diego

BTW, I should specify that this issue has nothing to do with the other
issue I had:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/8/603

That issue was with suspend/resume and it's fixed.

This issue I have now is with normal usage (S0) and not with suspend/resume.

In this case, everything freezes, X, etc. and only a hard reboot
works, I'm not sure I can git-bisect the problem also because it's
hard to reproduce and very random.

I'll see if the final 4.11 release fixes it and report back.

@ 2017-05-09 22:47     ` Diego Viola
From: Diego Viola @ 2017-05-09 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> For some reason 4.11-rc8 makes my Dell Inspiron 5558 crash. The
>>> problem is very random and I don't know how to reproduce it.
>>>
>>> That said, this only started happening with 4.11-rc8 and I've been
>>> using 4.11 since rc3 and it didn't happen at all with the previous
>>> RCs.
>>>
>>> Not sure how I could debug this, there is nothing in the logs either.
>>>
>>> I'm on Arch Linux x86_64.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Diego
>>
>> Not sure if "crash" is the best way to describe it, but when I'm using
>> i3 and browsing X will freeze and I won't be able to do anything, Num
>> Lock won't work either.
>>
>> I can only do a hard reset at that point.
>>
>> Diego
>
> BTW, I should specify that this issue has nothing to do with the other
> issue I had:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/8/603
>
> That issue was with suspend/resume and it's fixed.
>
> This issue I have now is with normal usage (S0) and not with suspend/resume.
>
> In this case, everything freezes, X, etc. and only a hard reboot
> works, I'm not sure I can git-bisect the problem also because it's
> hard to reproduce and very random.
>
> I'll see if the final 4.11 release fixes it and report back.
>
> Diego

Hello,

I've been using 4.11 for about a week, and it has not frozen since then.

Thanks,
Diego