* Re: Linux 5.11-rc1
@ 2020-12-28  7:30 Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2020-12-28  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds, Masahiro Yamada; +Cc: inux-kbuild, linux-kernel

[ Please CC me I am not subscribed to LKML and linux-kbuild ML ]

Hi Linus, Hi Mashiro,

thanks for the Linux v5.11-rc1 release.

With a new release I always do my first builds with my distro's
default compiler and linker (GCC v10.2.1 and GNU/ld BFD v2.35.1).
( It's approx. 40% faster than LLVM toolchain v11.0.1-rc2 here on
Debian/testing AMD64. )

The only warning I see for the first time (with v5.10.3 not observed):

  sh ./scripts/depmod.sh depmod 5.11.0-rc1-1-amd64-gcc10-bfd
Warning: 'make modules_install' requires depmod. Please install it.
This is probably in the kmod package.

The only change I see in this area is:

436e980e2ed5 kbuild: don't hardcode depmod path

depmod from kmod Debian package is placed and I have no /sbin in my
user's path (and not before?):

$ dpkg -L kmod | grep bin | grep depmod
/sbin/depmod

$ which depmod
[ empty ]

$ echo $PATH
/opt/proxychains-ng/bin:/home/dileks/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

OK, this is a warning, but might confuse other users.

Please, let me know if you need further information and keep me CCed.

Thanks.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] https://git.kernel.org/linus/436e980e2ed526832de822cbf13c317a458b78e1

* Re: Linux 5.11-rc1
@ 2021-01-02 23:26 Ilkka Prusi
From: Ilkka Prusi @ 2021-01-02 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> PATH for the root on Debian is
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Note that /sbin is now just a symlink to /usr/sbin on Debian since 10 (Buster) as per FHS[1][2].

[1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/lsb/fhs
[2] https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/debian-10-playing-catch-up-with-the-rest-of-the-linux-world-thats-a-good-thing/

--
  - Ilkka

* Linux 5.11-rc1
@ 2020-12-28  0:04 Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2020-12-28  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two weeks have passed, Christmas is over, and so is the merge window.

I want to thank all the maintainers who sent in their pull requests
early: we all wanted to get things done before the holidays really
hit, and mostly it seemed to work quite well.

In fact, it was rather nice to handle the big bulk of all the merge
window pull requests in the first three or four days of the merge
window.  I wouldn't want to do it that way every time - it would
stress me out - but as an occasional "let's get it over with so that
the second week is calm" it really wasn't bad at all.

It probably helped that 5.11 isn't going to be an LTS release and
isn't as big as 5.10 was, but it's not small either. Solidly average.

Well, it's average, unless you look at the actual diffs, and notice
another huge dump of AMD GPU descriptor header files, which completely
dwarfs all the "real" changes here. The AMD "Van Gogh" include file
additions are in fact about two thirds of the whole patch, even if it
comes from basically one single commit that just adds the register
definitions. We've had it before, I'm sure we'll see it in the future
too: header files probably generated from the hardware description for
all the possible bit masks etc get very very big.

Oh well. If you ignore that area, everything else looks normal. Driver
updates dominate, but all the usual other suspects are there: arch
updates, filesystems, networking, docs and tooling.

And while it doesn't look like a huge release, it's certainly still
big enough that what's appended below is just my "merge log". As
always, my merge logs credit only the people I pull from, which is a
much smaller set than all the people involved in actually writing the
patches. As usual we had more than 1500 actual developers, and roughly
12,500 changes merged. That's pretty much our average these days.

Please go kick the tires,

                Linus

---

Al Viro (3):
    epoll updates
    regset updates
    misc vfs updates

Alex Williamson (1):
    VFIO updates

Alexandre Belloni (1):
    RTC updates

Andreas Gruenbacher (1):
    gfs2 updates

Andrew Morton (5):
    misc updates
    more updates
    yet more updates
    still more updates
    KASAN updates

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (2):
    perf tools updates
    more perf tools updates

Arnd Bergmann (8):
    asm-generic cleanups
    asm-generic mmu-context cleanup
    asm-generic cross-architecture timer cleanup
    ARM SoC updates
    ARM SoC defconfig updates
    ARM device tree updates
    ARM SoC driver updates
    ARM SoC OMAP GenPD updates

Benson Leung (1):
    chrome platform updates

Bjorn Andersson (3):
    remoteproc updates
    hwspinlock updates
    rpmsg updates

Bjorn Helgaas (2):
    PCI updates
    PCI fixes

Boris Brezillon (1):
    i3c updates

Borislav Petkov (12):
    EDAC updates
    x86 RAS updates
    x86 microcode loader update
    x86 SGC support
    x86 cpuid updates
    x86 platform updates
    misc x86 updates
    x86 mm update
    x86 cleanups
    x86 cache resource control updates
    x86 build updates
    EFI updates

Casey Schaufler (2):
    smack updates
    smack fix

Catalin Marinas (2):
    arm64 updates
    more arm64 updates

Christian Brauner (4):
    time namespace updates
    misc fixes
    close_range/openat2 updates
    close_range fix

Christoph Hellwig (2):
    configfs update
    dma-mapping updates

Chuck Lever (1):
    nfsd updates

Corey Minyard (1):
    IPMI updates

Dan Williams (1):
    libnvdimm updates

Daniel Lezcano (2):
    thermal updates
    thermal fixlet

Daniel Vetter (1):
    more drm updates

Darrick Wong (1):
    xfs updates

Dave Airlie (2):
    drm updates
    drm fixes

David Kleikamp (1):
    jfs updates

David Sterba (1):
    btrfs updates

David Teigland (1):
    dlm updates

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
    input updates

Dominik Brodowski (1):
    pcmcia updates

Dominique Martinet (1):
    9p update

Eric Biederman (3):
    signal cleanup
    execve updates
    exec-update-lock update

Eric Biggers (2):
    fscrypt updates
    fsverity updates

Gao Xiang (1):
    erofs updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
    m68k updates

Greg KH (5):
    USB / Thunderbolt updates
    tty / serial updates
    driver core updates
    char / misc driver updates
    staging / IIO driver updates

Greg Ungerer (1):
    m68knommu updates

Guenter Roeck (2):
    hwmon updates
    another hwmon update

Gustavo A (1):
    fallthrough fixes

Hans de Goede (1):
    x86 platform driver updates

Heiko Carstens (2):
    s390 updates
    more s390 updates

Helge Deller (1):
    parisc updates

Herbert Xu (2):
    crypto updates
    crypto fixes

Ilya Dryomov (1):
    ceph updates

Ingo Molnar (4):
    scheduler fix
    timer fixes
    locking fixes
    objtool fix

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
    f2fs updates

Jakub Kicinski (2):
    networking updates
    networking fixes

James Bottomley (1):
    SCSI updates

Jan Kara (2):
    fsnotify updates
    ext2, reiserfs, quota and writeback updates

Jason Gunthorpe (1):
    rdma updates

Jassi Brar (1):
    mailbox updates