From: Matthias Brugger <matthias.bgg@gmail.com>
To: 박용배 <yongbae2@gmail.com>
Cc: Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: null pointer dereference error in mtk_timer.c
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:12:05 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Yongbae,

> Hello. My name is Yongbae Park.
>

> I would like to report a possible null pointer dereference error at
> mtk_timer_interrupt() in drivers/clocksource/mtk_timer.c (version:
> 3.19-rc5). The null pointer dereference error occurs if the interrupt
> handler mtk_timer_interrupt() accesses evt->dev.event_handler (line 146)
> when evt->dev.event_handler is null and not defined by mtk_timer_init().
>
> mtk_timer_init() first registers mtk_timer_interrupt() as the interrupt
> handler at line 227, and then defines the clockevent handler at line 246. As
> a consequence, the interrupt handler can be executed before the clockevent
> handler definition when an interrupt occurs between line 227 and line 246.
> The detail error scenario is the following:
>

> 183: static void __init mtk_timer_init(struct device_node *node) {

> 227: if (request_irq(evt->dev.irq, mtk_timer_interrupt,
>
> 228:           IRQF_TIMER | IRQF_IRQPOLL, "mtk_timer", evt)) {

> ------ An interrupt is fired and the interrupt handler is called -------
>
>     140: static irqreturn_t mtk_timer_interrupt(int irq, void *dev_id)
>
>     141: {
>
>     142:   struct mtk_clock_event_device *evt = dev_id;
>
>     143:
>
>     144:   /* Acknowledge timer0 irq */
>
>     145:   writel(GPT_IRQ_ACK(GPT_CLK_EVT), evt->gpt_base +
> GPT_IRQ_ACK_REG);
>
>     146:   evt->dev.event_handler(&evt->dev); // evt->dev.event_handler is
> not defined
>
>     147:
>
>     148:   return IRQ_HANDLED;
>
>     149: }
>
> ------ The execution of the interrupt handler is finished ------

> 246: clockevents_config_and_register(&evt->dev, rate, 0x3,
>
> 247:             0xffffffff);
>

> To resolve the problem, I think that the interrupt handler should be
> registered after the clock handler registration.

Thanks for your hint. Actually there are two race conditions.
First we register an interrupt handler, before disabling all
interrupts by calling mtk_timer_global_reset (line 227).
An secondly we register clockevents after enabling the interrupts (line 246).

I will provide a patch for this.

Best regards,
Matthias

--