From: Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>
To: Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org>
Cc: Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org>,
	Matt Fleming <matt@codeblueprint.co.uk>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>,
	Dave Jones <davej@codemonkey.org.uk>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de>,
	Andy Lutomirski <luto@kernel.org>,
	Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk@redhat.com>,
	"linux-efi@vger.kernel.org" <linux-efi@vger.kernel.org>,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@coreos.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] x86/mm changes for v4.4
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 22:58:52 -0800	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Ard Biesheuvel
<ard.biesheuvel@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 7 November 2015 at 08:09, Ingo Molnar <mingo@kernel.org> wrote:
>>
>> * Matt Fleming <matt@codeblueprint.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Sorry, this isn't true. I misled you with one of my earlier posts on
>>> this topic. Let me try and clear things up...
>>>
>>> Writing to EFI regions has to do with every invocation of the EFI
>>> runtime services - it's not limited to when you read/write/delete EFI
>>> variables. In fact, EFI variables really have nothing to do with this
>>> discussion, they're a completely opaque concept to the OS, we have no
>>> idea how the firmware implements them. Everything is done via the EFI
>>> boot/runtime services.
>>>
>>> The firmware itself will attempt to write to EFI regions when we
>>> invoke the EFI services because that's where the PE/COFF ".data" and
>>> ".bss" sections live along with the heap. There's even some relocation
>>> fixups that occur as SetVirtualAddressMap() time so it'll write to
>>> ".text" too.
>>>
>>> Now, the above PE/COFF sections are usually (always?) contained within
>>> EFI regions of type EfiRuntimeServicesCode. We know this is true
>>> because the firmware folks have told us so, and because stopping that
>>> is the motivation behind the new EFI_PROPERTIES_TABLE feature in UEFI
>>> V2.5.
>>>
>>> The data sections within the region are also *not* guaranteed to be
>>> page granular because work was required in Tianocore for emitting
>>> sections with 4k alignment as part of the EFI_PROPERTIES_TABLE
>>> support.
>>>
>>> Ultimately, what this means is that if you were to attempt to
>>> dynamically fixup those regions that required write permission, you'd
>>> have to modify the mappings for the majority of the EFI regions
>>> anyway. And if you're blindly allowing write permission as a fixup,
>>> there's not much security to be had.
>>
>> I think you misunderstood my suggestion: the 'fixup' would be changing it from R-X
>> to RW-, i.e. it would add 'write' permission but remove 'execute' permission.
>>
>> Note that there would be no 'RWX' permission at any given moment - which is the
>> dangerous combination.
>>

> The problem with that is that /any/ page in the UEFI runtime region
> may intersect with both .text and .data of any of the PE/COFF images
> that make up the runtime firmware (since the PE/COFF sections are not
> necessarily page aligned). Such pages require RWX permissions. The
> UEFI memory map does not provide the information to identify those
> pages a priori (the entire region containing several PE/COFF images
> could be covered by a single entry) so it is hard to guess which pages
> should be allowed these RWX permissions.

I'm sad that UEFI was designed without even the most basic of memory
protections in mind. UEFI _itself_ should be setting up protective
page mappings. :(

For a boot firmware, it seems to me that safe page table layout would
be a top priority bug. The "reporting issues" page for TianoCore
doesn't actually seem to link to the "Project Tracker":
https://github.com/tianocore/tianocore.github.io/wiki/Reporting-Issues

Does anyone know how to get this correctly reported so future UEFI
releases don't suffer from this?

-Kees

--
Kees Cook