Merged into cifs-2.6.git for-next Made a trivial tab/space correction in the patch (pointed out by checkpatch) and then added a trivial followon patch to address a comment/style (trivial) issue pointed out by checkpatch and to add a little more detailed comments about generally when to use each debug function. If any objections let me know. On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 10:21 AM Rodrigo Freire wrote: > > Hi Steve, > From our conversation over v2, I came out with this v3 patch, which I broke > in two commits: > > * The first commit in cifs_debug.h, creating the cifs_info() function. > - The aim of this commit is to allow to the developer to be able to print > informational-level data without having to use pr_info, pr_notice etc, > in line with other filesystems. > . One interesting and noteworthy feature of cifs_info() is that it is > transparent to the CIFS_DEBUG config state, either in "y" or "n". > . Also, by using KERN_INFO level, it can be safely filtered by a > maintainer / administrator, without cluttering their log monitors, > since this is a low level alert. > - I took the liberty to not add it inside the existing pr_debug, because > of the eventual need of some developer to print stuff that should be > printed not only in CIFS_DEBUG mode (as there are plenty of pr_notice > scattered over the code). > - Also, this is not a debug but a info message, so i liked cifs_info() > more ;-) > - I saw plenty of pr_notice() in CIFS code, but I resisted the urge to > convert them to cifs_info(). > > * The second commit contains the code printing a cifs_info() when attempting > a CIFS mount operation. > > Appreciate your review. > > V3: Created a new cifs_info() function, moved the mount attempt message to > cifs_info > > V2: Created a loop to select the right cifs_dbg message to be printed, > considering the current system's scenario, in order to avoid a > duplicate message or stripping out important information in > debug. > > Rodrigo Freire (2): > CIFS: Adds information-level logging function > CIFS: Print message when attempting a mount > > fs/cifs/cifs_debug.h | 16 ++++++++++++++++ > fs/cifs/cifsfs.c | 7 ++++++- > fs/cifs/transport.c | 2 +- > 3 files changed, 23 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-) > > -- > 1.8.3.1 > -- Thanks, Steve