On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 3:24 PM Thomas Gleixner wrote: > > Nicholas presented the idea to (ab)use speculative execution for random > number generation years ago at the Real-Time Linux Workshop: What you describe is just a particularly simple version of the jitter entropy. Not very reliable. But hey, here's a made-up patch. It basically does jitter entropy, but it uses a more complex load than the fibonacci LFSR folding: it calls "schedule()" in a loop, and it sets up a timer to fire. And then it mixes in the TSC in that loop. And to be fairly conservative, it then credits one bit of entropy for every timer tick. Not because the timer itself would be all that unpredictable, but because the interaction between the timer and the loop is going to be pretty damn unpredictable. Ok, I'm handwaving. But I do claim it really is fairly conservative to think that a cycle counter would give one bit of entropy when you time over a timer actually happening. The way that loop is written, we do guarantee that we'll mix in the TSC value both before and after the timer actually happened. We never look at the difference of TSC values, because the mixing makes that uninteresting, but the code does start out with verifying that "yes, the TSC really is changing rapidly enough to be meaningful". So if we want to do jitter entropy, I'd much rather do something like this that actually has a known fairly complex load with timers and scheduling. And even if absolutely no actual other process is running, the timer itself is still going to cause perturbations. And the "schedule()" call is more complicated than the LFSR is anyway. It does wait for one second the old way before it starts doing this. Whatever. I'm entirely convinced this won't make everybody happy anyway, but it's _one_ approach to handle the issue. Ahmed - would you be willing to test this on your problem case (with the ext4 optimization re-enabled, of course)? And Thomas - mind double-checking that I didn't do anything questionable with the timer code.. And this goes without saying - this patch is ENTIRELY untested. Apart from making people upset for the lack of rigor, it might do unspeakable crimes against your pets. You have been warned. Linus