On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 2:55 PM Eric W. Biederman wrote: > > The alpha_switch_to will remove the extra registers from the stack and > then call ret which if I understand alpha assembly correctly is > equivalent to jumping to where $26 points. Which is > ret_from_kernel_thread (as setup by copy_thread). > > Which leaves ret_from_kernel_thread and everything it calls without > the extra context saved on the stack. Uhhuh. Right you are, I think. It's been ages since I worked on that code and my alpha handbook is somewhere else, but yes, when alpha_switch_to() has context-switched to the new PCB state, it will then pop those registers in the new context and return. So we do set up the right stack frame for the worker thread, but as you point out, it then gets used up immediately when running. So by the time the IO worker thread calls get_signal(), it's no longer useful. How very annoying. The (obviously UNTESTED) patch might be something like the attached. I wouldn't be surprised if m68k has the exact same thing for the exact same reason, but I didn't check.. Linus