From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: Hillf Danton <hdanton@sina.com>
Cc: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>,
	Alexey Gladkov <legion@kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] ucount fix for v5.14-rc
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 01:23:07 -0700	[thread overview]

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 10:03 PM Hillf Danton <hdanton@sina.com> wrote:

> Then the current atomic_add_negative() in consideration over the "risk"
> of count overflow in real workloads can be replaced with the not_zero
> version.

What? No.

The atomic_add_negative() has absolutely nothing to do with not_zero.

The "negative" comes not at all from the count ever being zero, and as
I explained, that isn't even an issue here.

The "negative" is from a large _positive_ count growing so much that
the sign bit gets set. It's basically a "31-bit overflow" thing.

So:

 - not_zero makes no sense for get_ucounts(), because it can't be
zero, because we hold a reference to it

 - atomic_add_negative() is about not letting the counts become too
large, and when they do, we undo the reference (ie the pattern is
"increment ref - but if it then overflows into bit #31, decrement it
again"

and the two have *NOTHING* to do with each other. So your statement
about replacing one with the other makes no sense.

I was trying to explain that in _other_ situations, the
"atomic_inc_not_zero()" kind of pattern is used as a way to allow the
find-vs-last-drop race to be done without locking, but that's not what
the ucounts code does.

ucounts uses the ucounts_lock, and that one is entirely immaterial for
the atomic_add_negative() case, because the "negative" test is
literally about the value being as far away from zero as is _possible_
(and at that point, the lock is most definitely not needed - it's
needed only for the cases where the refcount goes to zero, and to make
sure that a "find" cannot race with that).

                Linus