From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Linux 5.14-rc1
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:49:31 -0700	[thread overview]

You all know the drill by now. It's been the usual two weeks of merge
window, and not it's closed, and 5.14-rc1 is out there.

As usual, it's much too big to post the shortlog, with about 13k
commits (an another ~800 merge commits) by about 1650 developers, and
a diffstat summary of

 11859 files changed, 817707 insertions(+), 285485 deletions(-)

Appended is my mergelog which gives you an overview of what I've
pulled during the merge window, and who I pulled from. And as usual, I
want to stress how this is obviously just a very high-level summary,
and tiny part of the actual developer community - if you want the full
details of all those changes, you'll have to go to the -git tree.

On the whole, I don't think there are any huge surprises in here, and
size-wise this seems to be a pretty regular release too. Let's hope
that that translates to a nice and calm release cycle, but you never
know. Last release was big, but it was all fairly calm despite that,
so size isn't always the determining factor here..

If somebody wants to look at the actual diff for the release, I'd
encourage you to ignore - once again - another set of big AMD GPU
hardware description header files. We seem to have those fairly
regularly, and they are always these huge generated headers that end
up dwarfing everything else. Almost exactly half of the whole 5.14-rc1
patch is comprised of those GPU headers, and it skews the statistics a
lot.

Now, even if you ignore that AMD header drop, drivers account for over
two thirds of the changes when you look at the diff, and that's
perfectly normal. What's slightly less usual is how there's a lot of
line _removals_ in there, with the old IDE layer finally having met
its long-overdue demise, and all our IDE support is now based on
libata.

Of course, the fact that we removed all that legacy IDE code doesn't
mean that we had a reduction in lines over-all: a few tens of
thousands of lines of legacy code is nowhere near enough to balance
out the usual kernel growth. But it's still a nice thing to see the
cleanup.

So drivers dominate: even when ignoring the AMD header addition
there's a fair amount of gpu updates, but there's networking drivers,
rdma, sound, scsi, staging, media...

Outside of drivers, there's all the usual suspects: architecture
updates (arm, arm64, x86, powerpc, s390, with a smattering of other
architecture updates too) and various core kernel updates: networking,
filesystems, VM, scheduling etc. And the usual documentation and
tooling (perf and self-tests) updates.

Please do test, and we can get the whole calming-down period rolling
and hopefully get a timely final 5.14 release.

                  Linus

---

Al Viro (3):
    vfs d_path() updates
    iov_iter updates
    vfs name lookup updates

Alex Williamson (1):
    VFIO updates

Alexandre Belloni (2):
    i3c updates
    RTC updates

Andreas Gruenbacher (1):
    gfs2 updates

Andrew Morton (3):
    misc updates
    more updates
    yet more updates

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo (2):
    perf tool updates
    more perf tool updates

Arnd Bergmann (1):
    asm/unaligned.h unification

Bartosz Golaszewski (1):
    gpio updates

Bjorn Andersson (2):
    remoteproc updates
    hwspinlock updates

Bjorn Helgaas (2):
    pci updates
    pci fix

Borislav Petkov (3):
    x86 RAS updates
    x86 cpu updates
    x86 SEV updates

Bruce Fields (1):
    nfsd updates

Casey Schaufler (1):
    smack updates

Christian Brauner (2):
    mount_setattr updates
    openat2 fixes

Christoph Hellwig (2):
    dma-mapping updates
    configfs updates

Corey Minyard (1):
    IPMI driver updates

Dan Williams (1):
    CXL (Compute Express Link) updates

Daniel Lezcano (1):
    thermal updates

Daniel Thompson (1):
    kgdb updates

Darrick Wong (1):
    xfs updates

Dave Airlie (2):
    drm updates
    drm fixes

David Kleikamp (1):
    jfs updates

David Sterba (1):
    btrfs updates

David Teigland (1):
    dlm updates

Dennis Zhou (2):
    percpu updates
    percpu fix

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
    input updates

Eric Biederman (1):
    user namespace rlimit handling update

Eric Biggers (1):
    fscrypt updates

Gao Xiang (1):
    erofs updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
    m68k updates

Greg KH (5):
    char / misc driver updates
    driver core changes
    staging / IIO driver updates
    tty / serial updates
    USB / Thunderbolt updates

Greg Ungerer (1):
    m68knommu update

Guenter Roeck (1):
    hwmon updates

Guo Ren (1):
    arch/csky updates

Gustavo Silva (3):
    fallthrough fixes
    array-bounds fixes
    more fallthrough fixes

Hans de Goede (1):
    x86 platform driver updates

Herbert Xu (2):
    crypto updates
    crypto fixes

Ilya Dryomov (1):
    ceph updates

Ingo Molnar (19):
    EFI updates
    objtool fix and updates
    locking updates
    perf events updates
    scheduler udpates
    timers/nohz updates
    x86 exception handling updates
    x86 asm updates
    x86 boot update
    x86 resource control documentation fixes
    x86 cleanups
    x86 uapi fixlet
    x86 mm update
    x86 splitlock updates