* Linux 5.6-rc1
@ 2020-02-10  0:43 Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2020-02-10  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

 The rc1 tag has been pushed out, and so the merge window for 5.6 is closed.

This was actually a slightly smaller merge window than usual, but I
think that what happened is simply that the holiday season impacted
new development. It impacted the 5.5 rc series less than I had
expected, but seems to instead have caused 5.6 to have slightly less
development than normal.

Of course, "slightly less" is just that - we still have more than 10k
commits (11.5k if you count merges too). So it's not like it's tiny,
and it's still _way_ too big to post full shortlogs or anything like
that. So below is my usual "mergelog" that shows my merges and who
they came from.

And as always, note that my merge log shows who I merged from, which
is not necessarily at all who developed the code. There's more than
1400 individual developers in there, and I always feel a bit bad by
just grouping things by top-level maintainer, but I've never found a
good way to summarize the merge window development by author (like the
rc shortlogs are done). So I just keep mentioning this, to make it
clear that this shows just _one_ side of the credits for getting code
merged.

Apart from being slightly smaller than usual, the stats all look
fairly normal. About two thirds of the patch is drivers (and it's all
over, but gpu and networking dominate as usual), with the rest being
the usual mix of arch updates, documentation, filesystem updates,
networking, tooling, and just misc core kernel updates. And none of
that is in the least surprising or unusual.

From an actual ABI perspective, I guess the openat2() support by
Aleksa might be worth mentioning - it's been in development for a long
time, and went through several revisions on the mailing lists. It's
seldom we end up adding some new interfaces to really core stuff, but
this makes it much easier to do some path resolution control in user
space - particularly for sandboxing, You can ask to do filename lookup
without following symlinks, for example, or not following mountpoints.
So it's much easier to write code that says "I have this untrusted
pathname that I want to open - only open it if it doesn't jump out of
my sandboxed area".

But otherwise it all looks fairly normal. A couple of new specialty
filesystems if you're into that kind of thing, you can see the big
picture in the merge log below.

Go forth and test,

               Linus

---

Al Viro (7):
    openat2 support
    adfs updates
    vfs timestamp updates
    vfs recursive removal updates
    misc vfs updates
    vfs file system parameter updates
    vboxfs

Alex Williamson (1):
    VFIO updates

Alexandre Belloni (1):
    RTC updates

Andreas Gruenbacher (2):
    gfs2 updates
    gfs2 fixes

Andrew Morton (2):
    updates
    more updates

Andy Shevchenko (1):
    x86 platform driver updates

Anton Ivanov (1):
    UML updates

Arnd Bergmann (2):
    y2038 updates
    compat-ioctl fix

Benson Leung (1):
    chrome platform updates

Bjorn Andersson (2):
    hwspinlock updates
    remoteproc updates

Bjorn Helgaas (2):
    PCI updates
    PCI fixes

Boris Brezillon (1):
    i3c updates

Borislav Petkov (3):
    EDAC updates
    RAS updates
    x86 microcode update

Bruce Fields (1):
    nfsd updates

Casey Schaufler (1):
    smack fix

Catalin Marinas (1):
    arm64 KVM fix

Christian Brauner (1):
    thread management updates

Christoph Hellwig (1):
    ioremap updates

Damien Le Moal (1):
    new zonefs file system

Daniel Lezcano (2):
    thermal updates
    thermal fixes

Daniel Thompson (2):
    kgdb updates
    kgdb fix

Darrick Wong (3):
    xfs updates
    iomap fix
    moar xfs updates

Davbe Airlie (1):
    drm updates

Dave Airlie (2):
    drm ttm/mm updates
    drm fixes

Dave Hansen (1):
    x86 MPX removal

David Kleikamp (1):
    jfs update

David Miller (7):
    networking updates
    sparc updates
    IDE updates
    networking fixes
    sparc fix
    networking fixes
    networking fixes

David Sterba (3):
    btrfs updates
    fs deduplication fix
    more btrfs updates

Dennis Zhou (1):
    percpu updates

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
    input updates

Dominik Brodowski (1):
    pcmcia updates

Eric Biggers (2):
    fscrypt updates
    fsverity updates

Gao Xiang (1):
    erofs updates

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
    m68k updates

Greg KH (6):
    USB/Thunderbolt/PHY driver updates
    tty/serial driver updates
    staging and IIO updates
    driver core updates
    char/misc driver updates
    char/misc fix

Greg Ungerer (1):
    m68knommu updates

Guenter Roeck (1):
    hwmon updates

Helge Deller (1):
    parisc updates

Herbert Xu (1):
    crypto updates

Ilya Dryomov (1):
    ceph fixes

Ingo Molnar (18):
    header cleanup
    objtool updates
    RCU updates
    EFI updates
    locking updates
    perf updates
    scheduler updates
    x86 apic fix
    x86 asm updates
    x86 boot update
    x86 resource control updates
    x86 cleanups
    misc x86 updates
    x86 cpu-features updates
    x86 FPU updates
    x86 mtrr updates
    core fixes
    x86 fixes

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
    f2fs updates

James Bottomley (2):
    SCSI updates
    misc SCSI fixes

James Morris (1):
    security subsystem update

Jan Kara (1):
    UDF, quota, reiserfs, ext2 fixes and cleanups

Jarkko Sakkinen (1):
    tpm updates

Jason Gunthorpe (2):
    mmu_notifier updates
    rdma updates

Jens Axboe (7):
    core block updates
    block driver updates
    libata updates
    io_uring updates
    libata updates
    more block updates
    io_uring updates

Jessica Yu (1):
    module updates

Jiri Kosina (2):
    HID updates
    livepatching updates

Joerg Roedel (1):
    iommu updates

Jonathan Corbet (2):
    documentation updates
    Documentation fixes

Juergen Gross (1):
    xen updates

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk (1):
    ibft update

Lee Jones (2):
    MFD updates
    backlight updates

Linus Walleij (2):
    GPIO updates
    pin control updates

Mark Brown (3):
    regmap updates
    spi updates
    regulator updates

Masahiro Yamada (3):
    Kbuild updates
    Kconfig updates
    more Kbuild updates

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (1):
    media updates

Max Filippov (1):
    xtensa updates

Michael Ellerman (2):
    powerpc updates
    powerpc fixes

Michael Tsirkin (1):
    virtio updates

Michal Simek (1):
    Microblaze update

Mike Marshall (1):
    orangefs fix

Mike Snitzer (1):
    device mapper updates

Miklos Szeredi (2):
    overlayfs update
    fuse fixes

Mimi Zohar (1):
    IMA updates

Miquel Raynal (2):
    UBI/UBIFS updates
    MTD updates

Olof Johansson (5):
    ARM SoC platform updates
    ARM Device-tree updates
    ARM SoC-related driver updates
    ARM SoC defconfig updates
    ARM SoC late updates

Palmer Dabbelt (1):
    RISC-V updates

Paolo Bonzini (2):
    KVM updates
    more KVM updates

Paul Burton (1):
    MIPS changes

Paul McKenney (1):
    RCU warning removal

Paul Moore (2):
    audit update
    SELinux update

Pavel Machek (1):
    LED updates

Petr Mladek (1):
    printk update

Rafael Wysocki (8):
    power management updates
    ACPI updates
    device properties framework updates
    PNP updates
    more power manadement updates
    more ACPI updates
    more power management updates
    more ACPI updates

Rob Herring (2):
    devicetree updates
    devicetree fixes

Russell King (1):
    ARM updates

Sasha Levin (1):
    Hyper-V updates

Sebastian Reichel (1):
    power supply and reset updates

Shuah Khan (2):
    Kselftest update
    Kselftest kunit updates

Stephen Boyd (2):
    clk updates
    clk fixes

Steve French (3):
    cifs updates
    cifs fix
    cifs fixes

Steven Rostedt (2):
    tracing fix
    tracing updates

Takashi Iwai (2):
    sound updates
    sound fixes

Ted Ts'o (2):
    ext4 updates
    random changes

Tejun Heo (2):
    workqueue updates
    cgroup updates

Tetsuo Handa (1):
    tomoyo update

Thierry Reding (1):
    pwm updates

Thomas Gleixner (13):
    timer fixes
    watchdog updates
    debugobjects update
    timer updates
    core SMP updates
    irq updates
    x86 pti updates
    EFI fix
    interrupt fixes
    timer fixes
    perf fixes
    SMP fixes
    x86 fixes

Ulf Hansson (1):
    MMC updates

Vasily Gorbik (2):
    s390 updates
    more s390 updates

Vineet Gupta (1):
    ARC updates

Vinod Koul (2):
    dmaengine updates
    dmaengine fixes

Will Deacon (1):
    arm64 updates

Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
    watchdog updates

Wolfram Sang (1):
    i2c updates

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-10  0:44 UTC | newest]