* commit 0f0aefd733f7 to linux-firmware effectively broke all of the setups with old kernels
@ 2021-02-15 14:35 Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2021-02-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
	netdev, Kalle Valo
  Cc: Peter Robinson, Josh Boyer, Ferry Toth

Hi!

Seems the commit 0f0aefd733f7 to linux-firmware effectively broke all
of the setups with the old kernels. Firmware name is an ABI (!) and
replacing it like this will definitely break systems with older
kernels. Linux firmware package likely, but unfortunately, should
carry on both versions as long as it's needed. Alternative solution is
to provide the links during installation.

Btw, I haven't seen the driver change for that. Care to provide a
commit ID in upstream?

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

* Re: commit 0f0aefd733f7 to linux-firmware effectively broke all of the setups with old kernels
@ 2021-02-15 18:02 ` Peter Robinson
From: Peter Robinson @ 2021-02-15 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Shevchenko
	netdev, Kalle Valo, Josh Boyer, Ferry Toth

> Seems the commit 0f0aefd733f7 to linux-firmware effectively broke all
> of the setups with the old kernels. Firmware name is an ABI (!) and
> replacing it like this will definitely break systems with older
> kernels. Linux firmware package likely, but unfortunately, should
> carry on both versions as long as it's needed. Alternative solution is
> to provide the links during installation.

It does provide the links using the copy-firmware.sh and the details in WHENCE.

The alternative is to leave firmwares in place with CVEs.

* Re: commit 0f0aefd733f7 to linux-firmware effectively broke all of the setups with old kernels
@ 2021-02-15 18:25   ` Andy Shevchenko
From: Andy Shevchenko @ 2021-02-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Robinson

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 8:03 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Seems the commit 0f0aefd733f7 to linux-firmware effectively broke all
> > of the setups with the old kernels. Firmware name is an ABI (!) and
> > replacing it like this will definitely break systems with older
> > kernels. Linux firmware package likely, but unfortunately, should
> > carry on both versions as long as it's needed. Alternative solution is
> > to provide the links during installation.
>
> It does provide the links using the copy-firmware.sh and the details in WHENCE.
>
> The alternative is to leave firmwares in place with CVEs.

Good, thanks, I haven't looked into that script.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko