From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>
To: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@intel.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux Memory Management List <linux-mm@kvack.org>,
	lkp@lists.01.org, kbuild test robot <lkp@intel.com>,
	kernel test robot <oliver.sang@intel.com>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [PM] bfcc1e67ff: kernel-selftests.breakpoints.step_after_suspend_test.fail
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:48:13 +0200	[thread overview]

  On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 8:17 PM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/21 9:00 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> With 4.9 which is what I used initially:
> >>
> >> # cat /sys/power/state
> >> freeze standby
> >> # cat /sys/power/
> >> pm_async           pm_print_times     pm_wakeup_irq      wakeup_count
> >> pm_freeze_timeout  pm_test            state
> >>
> >> With a newer kernel without my patch:
> >>
> >> # cat /sys/power/state
> >> freeze standby mem
> >> # cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
> >> s2idle shallow [deep]
> >
> > OK, so the "deep" and "shallow" suspend variants appear to be
> > supported.  What's the problem with advertising "mem" then?
>
> s2idle and shallow are, but deep is not.

Why is it there in mem_sleep, then?  It should not be there if
valid_state() returns 'false' for it.

mem_sleep_states[PM_SUSPEND_MEM] is only set by suspend_set_ops() if
valid_state(PM_SUSPEND_MEM) is 'true'.

> >> # cat /sys/power/
> >> mem_sleep          pm_freeze_timeout  pm_wakeup_irq      wakeup_count
> >> pm_async           pm_print_times     state
> >> pm_debug_messages  pm_test            suspend_stats/

> >> The problem is advertising "mem" in /sys/power/state when the state is
> >> not actually supported by the platform firmware here, whether that
> >> translates into the form of s2idle or not. It is not supported, and it
> >> should not be there IMHO.
> >
> > Well, it is there, because some user space expects it to be there on
> > systems supporting any kind of system-wide suspend, including s2idle.
> > Like it or not.
>
> But that was not the case before 406e79385f32 ("PM / sleep: System sleep
> state selection interface rework") and clearly nobody complained about
> that, did they?

Yes, it was and yes, they did.  Changes like that are not made without a reason.

> > If it is not there, the utilities in question assume that system-wide
> > suspend is not supported at all.
>
> What utilities do depend on that? That selftest that does not even check
> that "mem" is actually present in /sys/power/state and just fails its
> test if it is not, yes it's not great, but that can be fixed.

Various GUI-based things like KDE, GNOME and similar plus the Chrome
user space IIRC.

> >> I was late to the game in identifying that,
> >> but the 4.9 kernel makes sense to me.
> >>
> >> Similarly, if you take arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_pmc.c only
> >> PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY is valid, so advertising mem would be wrong if we
> >> don't look at what ->valid tells us.
> >
> > Again: "mem" appears in /sys/power/state if the system supports any
> > kind of system-wide suspend (because of the expectations of user space
> > mentioned above) and mem_sleep decides what it really means.
> >
> > And this is documented too (see Documentation/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html).
>
> The documentation just states that if the kernel supports *any* suspend
> state, then /sys/power/state will be present and likewise for
> /sys/power/mem_sleep, it does not say what the contents will be and that
> "mem" would always be present in there.

It doesn't say so directly, but it kind of wouldn't make sense to have
"mem_sleep" without "mem" in "state" and it implies that "mem_sleep"
is not empty if it is present.  Ergo "mem" is present in "state" if
"mem_sleep" is present which is the case if (at least) s2idle is
supported.  That is always the case if CONFIG_SUSPEND is set which
follows from the suspend-to-idle description.

Anyway, I'm still not sure what the problem really is.  Commit
406e79385f32 still allows user space to only trigger transitions to
s2idle and other states explicitly reported as valid by the platform.