* Re: Chipidea USB device goes infinite loop due to interrupt while hw_ep_prime
       [not found] ` <20210804013252.GA16420@nchen>
@ 2021-08-04  2:03   ` Jeaho Hwang
From: Jeaho Hwang @ 2021-08-04  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Chen
  Cc: linux-usb,
	변무광(Byeon Moo
	Kwang)/자동화연)Automation
	Platform연구팀,
	Linux team, linux-rt-users, linux-kernel

Hi. linux-usb and linux-rt experts.

> On 21-08-02 17:35:01, Jeaho Hwang wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > We found an infinite loop inside the function hw_ep_set_halt
> > (drivers/usb/chipidea/udc.c) if a cablle is repeatedly
> > connnected/disconnected while ping through RNDIS with chipidea USB device.
> >
> > Using ftrace tracing, we found that hw_ep_set_halt is called due to error
> > return of hw_ep_prime(drivers/usb/chipidea/udc.c:202) which is called from
> > isr_tr_complete_handler -> isr_setup_status_phase -> _ep_queue.
> >
> > The comment of function hw_ep_prime says (execute without interruption) but
> > timer interrupt is occurred while hw_ep_prime is executing. We believe that
> > the interrupt causes an error return of hw_ep_prime. We tried to protect
> > hw_ep_prime from irqs and then no case of the infinite loop is occurred.
> >
> > I want ask if it is appropriate way that turning off irq inside (threaded)
> > irq handlers. And should we explicitly turn off irqs before calling
> > hw_ep_prime?
> >

> Jeaho, do you use RT-Linux or standard Linux? The function hw_ep_prime is
> only called at udc_irq which is registered as top-half irq handlers.
> Why the timer interrupt is occurred when hw_ep_prime is executing?

We use preempt_RT so timer interrupt could be occurred. Now I found
out that forced threaded irq handler disables local irq on standard
linux so It is a linux-rt issue. Then should I make patch which
disables local irqs during hw_ep_prime for RT kernel and suggest it to
linux-rt maintainers?

Thanks for a kind answer Peter.

--
황재호, Jay Hwang, linux team manager of RTst
010-7242-1593

* Re: Chipidea USB device goes infinite loop due to interrupt while hw_ep_prime
@ 2021-08-09  1:27     ` Peter Chen
From: Peter Chen @ 2021-08-09  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeaho Hwang
  Cc: linux-usb,

On 21-08-04 11:03:44, Jeaho Hwang wrote:
> Hi. linux-usb and linux-rt experts.
> >
> > On 21-08-02 17:35:01, Jeaho Hwang wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > We found an infinite loop inside the function hw_ep_set_halt
> > > (drivers/usb/chipidea/udc.c) if a cablle is repeatedly
> > > connnected/disconnected while ping through RNDIS with chipidea USB device.
> > >
> > > Using ftrace tracing, we found that hw_ep_set_halt is called due to error
> > > return of hw_ep_prime(drivers/usb/chipidea/udc.c:202) which is called from
> > > isr_tr_complete_handler -> isr_setup_status_phase -> _ep_queue.
> > >
> > > The comment of function hw_ep_prime says (execute without interruption) but
> > > timer interrupt is occurred while hw_ep_prime is executing. We believe that
> > > the interrupt causes an error return of hw_ep_prime. We tried to protect
> > > hw_ep_prime from irqs and then no case of the infinite loop is occurred.
> > >
> > > I want ask if it is appropriate way that turning off irq inside (threaded)
> > > irq handlers. And should we explicitly turn off irqs before calling
> > > hw_ep_prime?
> > >

> > Jeaho, do you use RT-Linux or standard Linux? The function hw_ep_prime is
> > only called at udc_irq which is registered as top-half irq handlers.
> > Why the timer interrupt is occurred when hw_ep_prime is executing?
>
> We use preempt_RT so timer interrupt could be occurred. Now I found
> out that forced threaded irq handler disables local irq on standard
> linux so It is a linux-rt issue. Then should I make patch which
> disables local irqs during hw_ep_prime for RT kernel and suggest it to
> linux-rt maintainers?
>
> Thanks for a kind answer Peter.

No, that will lead to deadlock since the normal request queue API function
ep_queue disables irq which also calls into hw_ep_prime.

For RT kernel, you may try to disable local irq at isr_setup_status_phase.

Peter Chen

* Re: Chipidea USB device goes infinite loop due to interrupt while hw_ep_prime
@ 2021-08-09  1:45       ` Jeaho Hwang
From: Jeaho Hwang @ 2021-08-09  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Chen
  Cc: linux-usb,

2021년 8월 9일 (월) 오전 10:27, Peter Chen <peter.chen@kernel.org>님이 작성:

> On 21-08-04 11:03:44, Jeaho Hwang wrote:
> > Hi. linux-usb and linux-rt experts.

> > > Jeaho, do you use RT-Linux or standard Linux? The function hw_ep_prime is
> > > only called at udc_irq which is registered as top-half irq handlers.
> > > Why the timer interrupt is occurred when hw_ep_prime is executing?
> >
> > We use preempt_RT so timer interrupt could be occurred. Now I found
> > out that forced threaded irq handler disables local irq on standard
> > linux so It is a linux-rt issue. Then should I make patch which
> > disables local irqs during hw_ep_prime for RT kernel and suggest it to
> > linux-rt maintainers?
> >
> > Thanks for a kind answer Peter.

Thanks Peter.

> No, that will lead to deadlock since the normal request queue API function
> ep_queue disables irq which also calls into hw_ep_prime.

ep_queue disables irq by calling spin_lock_irqsave but it actually
does not disable irq for RT kernel.
Therefore local_irq_save at hw_ep_prime would not cause deadlock if
ep_queue calls it, i think.

Is it anything wrong?

--

@ 2021-08-09  6:31         ` Peter Chen
From: Peter Chen @ 2021-08-09  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeaho Hwang
  Cc: linux-usb,

On 21-08-09 10:45:16, Jeaho Hwang wrote:
> 2021년 8월 9일 (월) 오전 10:27, Peter Chen <peter.chen@kernel.org>님이 작성:
> >
> > On 21-08-04 11:03:44, Jeaho Hwang wrote:
> > > Hi. linux-usb and linux-rt experts.

> > > We use preempt_RT so timer interrupt could be occurred. Now I found
> > > out that forced threaded irq handler disables local irq on standard
> > > linux so It is a linux-rt issue. Then should I make patch which
> > > disables local irqs during hw_ep_prime for RT kernel and suggest it to
> > > linux-rt maintainers?
> > >
> > > Thanks for a kind answer Peter.
> > >

> Thanks Peter.
>
> > No, that will lead to deadlock since the normal request queue API function
> > ep_queue disables irq which also calls into hw_ep_prime.
>
> ep_queue disables irq by calling spin_lock_irqsave but it actually
> does not disable irq for RT kernel.
> Therefore local_irq_save at hw_ep_prime would not cause deadlock if
> ep_queue calls it, i think.
>
> Is it anything wrong?

Oh, I was wrong that I thought you would use spin_lock_irqsave to
disable interrupt. I am not familiar with spin_lock_irqsave behaviours
at RT kernel.

Yes, if you use local_irq_save at below sequence, that's ok.

spin_lock_irqsave(lock, flag_1);
func hw_ep_prime
{
	local_irq_save(flag_2);
	local_irq_restore(flag_2);
}
spin_unlock_irqrestore(lock, flag_1);

Peter

> > For RT kernel, you may try to disable local irq at isr_setup_status_phase.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter Chen
> >

> --
> 황재호, Jay Hwang, linux team manager of RTst
> 010-7242-1593

Peter Chen