LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* [PULL] topic/component-typed
@ 2019-02-11 17:15 Daniel Vetter
  2019-02-11 18:25 ` Sam Ravnborg
  2019-02-12  9:24 ` Maxime Ripard
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2019-02-11 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter, Greg KH, Takashi Iwai, Jani Nikula, Arnd Bergmann,
	Maarten Lankhorst, Sean Paul, Maxime Ripard, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Joonas Lahtinen
  Cc: dri-devel, Dave Airlie, intel-gfx,
	DRM maintainer tools announcements, discussion, and development,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi all,

Here's the typed component topic branch.

drm-intel maintainers: Please pull, I need this for the mei hdcp work from Ram.

drm-misc maintainers: Please pull, there's a drm doc patch follow-up
that I want to stuff into drm-misc-next.

Greg: The drm side missed our feature cutoff, so will only land in 5.2.
Probably good if you pull this into drivers-core so it lands a bit
quicker. You&Arnd will also get a topic pull later on with the MEI bits
for char-misc tree, which needs to be based on top of this tree here.

Takashi: Since the drm side only lands in 5.2 might be good if you
pull this in too to avoid conflicts.

Cheers, Daniel

topic/component-typed-2019-02-11:
typed componented support + i915/snd-hda changes

This is needed by the new MEI-HDCP support in i915, so will need to go
in through drm and drivers-misc trees at least.

Cheers, Daniel

The following changes since commit 8834f5600cf3c8db365e18a3d5cac2c2780c81e5:

  Linux 5.0-rc5 (2019-02-03 13:48:04 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-intel
tags/topic/component-typed-2019-02-11

for you to fetch changes up to 8857c7d065e900a0b3829c97634c99501b606541:

  i915/snd_hdac: I915 subcomponent for the snd_hdac (2019-02-08 16:58:59 +0100)

----------------------------------------------------------------
typed componented support + i915/snd-hda changes

This is needed by the new MEI-HDCP support in i915, so will need to go
in through drm and drivers-misc trees at least.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Vetter (3):
      component: Add documentation
      components: multiple components for a device
      i915/snd_hdac: I915 subcomponent for the snd_hdac

 Documentation/driver-api/component.rst   |  17 +++
 Documentation/driver-api/device_link.rst |   3 +
 Documentation/driver-api/index.rst       |   1 +
 drivers/base/component.c                 | 206 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_audio.c       |   4 +-
 include/drm/i915_component.h             |   4 +
 include/linux/component.h                |  76 ++++++++++++
 include/sound/hda_component.h            |   5 +-
 sound/hda/hdac_component.c               |   4 +-
 sound/hda/hdac_i915.c                    |   6 +-
 10 files changed, 308 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/driver-api/component.rst

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [PULL] topic/component-typed
  2019-02-11 17:15 [PULL] topic/component-typed Daniel Vetter
@ 2019-02-11 18:25 ` Sam Ravnborg
  2019-02-11 18:50   ` Daniel Vetter
  2019-02-11 18:57   ` Takashi Iwai
  2019-02-12  9:24 ` Maxime Ripard
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2019-02-11 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Greg KH, Takashi Iwai, Jani Nikula, Arnd Bergmann,
	Maarten Lankhorst, Sean Paul, Maxime Ripard, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Joonas Lahtinen, DRM maintainer tools announcements, discussion,
	and development, intel-gfx, Linux Kernel Mailing List, dri-devel

Hi Daniel.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:15:20PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> Here's the typed component topic branch.
> 
> drm-intel maintainers: Please pull, I need this for the mei hdcp work from Ram.
> 
> drm-misc maintainers: Please pull, there's a drm doc patch follow-up
> that I want to stuff into drm-misc-next.
> 
> Greg: The drm side missed our feature cutoff, so will only land in 5.2.

With all the dependencies why not bend the rule a little and get this in now?
It is not like this is a huge patchset.

	Sam

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [PULL] topic/component-typed
  2019-02-11 18:25 ` Sam Ravnborg
@ 2019-02-11 18:50   ` Daniel Vetter
  2019-02-11 18:57   ` Takashi Iwai
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2019-02-11 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg
  Cc: Greg KH, Takashi Iwai, Jani Nikula, Arnd Bergmann,
	Maarten Lankhorst, Sean Paul, Maxime Ripard, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Joonas Lahtinen, DRM maintainer tools announcements, discussion,
	and development, intel-gfx, Linux Kernel Mailing List, dri-devel

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:25 PM Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Daniel.
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:15:20PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here's the typed component topic branch.
> >
> > drm-intel maintainers: Please pull, I need this for the mei hdcp work from Ram.
> >
> > drm-misc maintainers: Please pull, there's a drm doc patch follow-up
> > that I want to stuff into drm-misc-next.
> >
> > Greg: The drm side missed our feature cutoff, so will only land in 5.2.
>
> With all the dependencies why not bend the rule a little and get this in now?
> It is not like this is a huge patchset.

The feature that depends upon this is almost 40 patches. That's a bit
much for bending :-) Hence why I'm asking Greg to pull this, so it's
not stuck out of tree for 3 months for no good reason.
-Daniel
-- 
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [PULL] topic/component-typed
  2019-02-11 18:25 ` Sam Ravnborg
  2019-02-11 18:50   ` Daniel Vetter
@ 2019-02-11 18:57   ` Takashi Iwai
  2019-02-11 19:18     ` Daniel Vetter
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2019-02-11 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg
  Cc: Daniel Vetter, Arnd Bergmann, Maxime Ripard, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Jani Nikula, Joonas Lahtinen, Maarten Lankhorst, Greg KH,
	discussion and development DRM maintainer tools announcements,
	dri-devel, intel-gfx, Sean Paul, tiwai,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 19:25:12 +0100,
Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> 
> Hi Daniel.
> 
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:15:20PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > 
> > Here's the typed component topic branch.
> > 
> > drm-intel maintainers: Please pull, I need this for the mei hdcp work from Ram.
> > 
> > drm-misc maintainers: Please pull, there's a drm doc patch follow-up
> > that I want to stuff into drm-misc-next.
> > 
> > Greg: The drm side missed our feature cutoff, so will only land in 5.2.
> 
> With all the dependencies why not bend the rule a little and get this in now?
> It is not like this is a huge patchset.

Yeah, that's likely the most straightforward way.

BTW, I tried to pull onto sound git tree for-next branch, and it
worked without conflicts.  So I don't think it needs to be pulled onto
mine.


thanks,

Takashi

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [PULL] topic/component-typed
  2019-02-11 18:57   ` Takashi Iwai
@ 2019-02-11 19:18     ` Daniel Vetter
  2019-02-11 19:34       ` Greg KH
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Vetter @ 2019-02-11 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai
  Cc: Sam Ravnborg, Arnd Bergmann, Maxime Ripard, Rodrigo Vivi,
	Jani Nikula, Joonas Lahtinen, Maarten Lankhorst, Greg KH,
	discussion and development DRM maintainer tools announcements,
	dri-devel, intel-gfx, Sean Paul, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:57 PM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 19:25:12 +0100,
> Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> >
> > Hi Daniel.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:15:20PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Here's the typed component topic branch.
> > >
> > > drm-intel maintainers: Please pull, I need this for the mei hdcp work from Ram.
> > >
> > > drm-misc maintainers: Please pull, there's a drm doc patch follow-up
> > > that I want to stuff into drm-misc-next.
> > >
> > > Greg: The drm side missed our feature cutoff, so will only land in 5.2.
> >
> > With all the dependencies why not bend the rule a little and get this in now?
> > It is not like this is a huge patchset.
>
> Yeah, that's likely the most straightforward way.
>
> BTW, I tried to pull onto sound git tree for-next branch, and it
> worked without conflicts.  So I don't think it needs to be pulled onto
> mine.

Yeah right now it's all conflict free, I'm more worried about what's
going to happen the next 3 months. That's also why I think it'd be
good if Greg can pull this still.
-Daniel
-- 
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [PULL] topic/component-typed
  2019-02-11 19:18     ` Daniel Vetter
@ 2019-02-11 19:34       ` Greg KH
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2019-02-11 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Takashi Iwai, Sam Ravnborg, Arnd Bergmann, Maxime Ripard,
	Rodrigo Vivi, Jani Nikula, Joonas Lahtinen, Maarten Lankhorst,
	discussion and development DRM maintainer tools announcements,
	dri-devel, intel-gfx, Sean Paul, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:18:04PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:57 PM Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 19:25:12 +0100,
> > Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Daniel.
> > >
> > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:15:20PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > > > Hi all,
> > > >
> > > > Here's the typed component topic branch.
> > > >
> > > > drm-intel maintainers: Please pull, I need this for the mei hdcp work from Ram.
> > > >
> > > > drm-misc maintainers: Please pull, there's a drm doc patch follow-up
> > > > that I want to stuff into drm-misc-next.
> > > >
> > > > Greg: The drm side missed our feature cutoff, so will only land in 5.2.
> > >
> > > With all the dependencies why not bend the rule a little and get this in now?
> > > It is not like this is a huge patchset.
> >
> > Yeah, that's likely the most straightforward way.
> >
> > BTW, I tried to pull onto sound git tree for-next branch, and it
> > worked without conflicts.  So I don't think it needs to be pulled onto
> > mine.
> 
> Yeah right now it's all conflict free, I'm more worried about what's
> going to happen the next 3 months. That's also why I think it'd be
> good if Greg can pull this still.

Ok, I've pulled this into my branch, it should go into 5.1-rc1.

thanks,

greg k-h

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [PULL] topic/component-typed
  2019-02-11 17:15 [PULL] topic/component-typed Daniel Vetter
  2019-02-11 18:25 ` Sam Ravnborg
@ 2019-02-12  9:24 ` Maxime Ripard
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2019-02-12  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter
  Cc: Greg KH, Takashi Iwai, Jani Nikula, Arnd Bergmann,
	Maarten Lankhorst, Sean Paul, Rodrigo Vivi, Joonas Lahtinen,
	dri-devel, Dave Airlie, intel-gfx,
	DRM maintainer tools announcements, discussion, and development,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 895 bytes --]

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:15:20PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> Here's the typed component topic branch.
> 
> drm-intel maintainers: Please pull, I need this for the mei hdcp work from Ram.
> 
> drm-misc maintainers: Please pull, there's a drm doc patch follow-up
> that I want to stuff into drm-misc-next.
> 
> Greg: The drm side missed our feature cutoff, so will only land in 5.2.
> Probably good if you pull this into drivers-core so it lands a bit
> quicker. You&Arnd will also get a topic pull later on with the MEI bits
> for char-misc tree, which needs to be based on top of this tree here.
> 
> Takashi: Since the drm side only lands in 5.2 might be good if you
> pull this in too to avoid conflicts.
> 
> Cheers, Daniel

Pulled into drm-misc, thanks!
Maxime

-- 
Maxime Ripard, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 228 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-02-11 17:15 [PULL] topic/component-typed Daniel Vetter
2019-02-11 18:25 ` Sam Ravnborg
2019-02-11 18:50   ` Daniel Vetter
2019-02-11 18:57   ` Takashi Iwai
2019-02-11 19:18     ` Daniel Vetter
2019-02-11 19:34       ` Greg KH
2019-02-12  9:24 ` Maxime Ripard

LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/0 lkml/git/0.git
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1 lkml/git/1.git
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2 lkml/git/2.git
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/3 lkml/git/3.git
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/4 lkml/git/4.git
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/5 lkml/git/5.git
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/6 lkml/git/6.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 lkml lkml/ https://lore.kernel.org/lkml \
		linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org linux-kernel@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index lkml


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.linux-kernel


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox