Hi, All! I compiled the latest kernel and installed it on my old laptop (Hardware name: Hewlett-Packard HP ProBook 440 G2/2247, BIOS M74 Ver. 01.02 06/17/2014). But when I tried to enable function tracer via debugfs, the system went _hung_! Compared with the last kernel compiling process, the only change I have made is that I enabled KASAN configuration this time. Reproducing this issue is simple as below: 0. `uname -a` shows: Linux ubuntuu 5.0.0-rc2+ #9 SMP Fri Jan 18 03:04:01 CST 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux 1. `make menuconfig` to enable KASAN configuration: Kernel hacking ---> Memory Debugging ---> KASAN: runtime memory debugger compile, install, reboot, then `dmesg | grep kasan` shows: [ 0.342882] kasan: KernelAddressSanitizer initialized 2. enable function tracer `echo function > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/current_tracer` (then my poor laptop was locked and didn't respond to me ...) What's more, enabling function graph tracer will suffer from the same problem. I have no idea about what wrong thing had happened inside kernel -- about ftrace, or about KASAN? So I report it to you and waiting for your solution! I have provided my *.config* file as attachment for those who're interested in this issue. But sorry for that I can't provide any useful call trace because the system went down so quickly. P.S. I'm a newcomer for KASAN. If any mis-configuration or mis-understand, please fix me up and let me know :). Thanks! Zenghui