* CHKDT error by f95cad74acdb ("dt-bindings: clocks: Convert Allwinner legacy clocks to schemas")
@ 2020-03-28 12:26 H. Nikolaus Schaller
From: H. Nikolaus Schaller @ 2020-03-28 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Herring, Maxime Ripard

Hi Rob,
I am trying to check my new bindings with v5.6-rc7 but get this before
the process tries mine:

make dt_binding_check dtbs_check

  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/renesas,bsc.yaml - due to target missing
  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/simple-pm-bus.yaml - due to target missing
  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml - due to target missing
/Volumes/CaseSensitive/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml: Additional properties are not allowed ('deprecated' was unexpected)
make[2]: *** [Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.example.dts] Error 1
make[1]: *** [dt_binding_check] Error 2
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

What am I doing wrong?
Is there an option to skip such errors and continue?
Is there an option to just test my bindings and yaml file?

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus Schaller

* Re: CHKDT error by f95cad74acdb ("dt-bindings: clocks: Convert Allwinner legacy clocks to schemas")
@ 2020-03-28 17:20 ` Andreas Kemnade
From: Andreas Kemnade @ 2020-03-28 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Nikolaus Schaller
  Cc: Discussions about the Letux Kernel, Rob Herring, Maxime Ripard,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi Nikolaus,

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:26:24 +0100
"H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
> I am trying to check my new bindings with v5.6-rc7 but get this before
> the process tries mine:
>
> make dt_binding_check dtbs_check
>
>   CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/renesas,bsc.yaml - due to target missing
>   CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/simple-pm-bus.yaml - due to target missing
>   CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml - due to target missing
> /Volumes/CaseSensitive/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml: Additional properties are not allowed ('deprecated' was unexpected)
> make[2]: *** [Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.example.dts] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [dt_binding_check] Error 2
> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> Is there an option to skip such errors and continue?
> Is there an option to just test my bindings and yaml file?

maybe your tools are outdated, so rerun

pip3 install git+https://github.com/devicetree-org/dt-schema.git@master

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: CHKDT error by f95cad74acdb ("dt-bindings: clocks: Convert Allwinner legacy clocks to schemas")
@ 2020-03-28 18:21   ` H. Nikolaus Schaller
From: H. Nikolaus Schaller @ 2020-03-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Kemnade
  Cc: Discussions about the Letux Kernel, Rob Herring, Maxime Ripard,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

> Am 28.03.2020 um 18:20 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas@kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:26:24 +0100
> "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>> I am trying to check my new bindings with v5.6-rc7 but get this before
>> the process tries mine:
>>
>> make dt_binding_check dtbs_check
>>
>>  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/renesas,bsc.yaml - due to target missing
>>  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/simple-pm-bus.yaml - due to target missing
>>  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml - due to target missing
>> /Volumes/CaseSensitive/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml: Additional properties are not allowed ('deprecated' was unexpected)
>> make[2]: *** [Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.example.dts] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [dt_binding_check] Error 2
>> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>> Is there an option to skip such errors and continue?
>> Is there an option to just test my bindings and yaml file?
>>
> maybe your tools are outdated, so rerun
>
> pip3 install git+https://github.com/devicetree-org/dt-schema.git@master

Yes, that one solves the problem!

A better error message of CHKDT would have been helpful. Or an auto-update.

Now I just get a lot of messages like

  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml - due to: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml:: $id: relative path/filename doesn't match actual path or filename
	expected: http://devicetree.org/schemas/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml:#
  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml - due to target missing
Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml:: $id: relative path/filename doesn't match actual path or filename
	expected: http://devicetree.org/schemas/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml:#

but they do not abort the process, except for an error found in my yaml document.
So now I can start debugging.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus

* Re: CHKDT error by f95cad74acdb ("dt-bindings: clocks: Convert Allwinner legacy clocks to schemas")
@ 2020-03-28 21:48     ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2020-03-28 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Nikolaus Schaller
  Cc: Andreas Kemnade, Discussions about the Letux Kernel,
	Maxime Ripard, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 12:21 PM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> > Am 28.03.2020 um 18:20 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas@kemnade.info>:
> >
> > Hi Nikolaus,
> >
> > On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:26:24 +0100
> > "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Rob,
> >> I am trying to check my new bindings with v5.6-rc7 but get this before
> >> the process tries mine:
> >>
> >> make dt_binding_check dtbs_check
> >>
> >>  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/renesas,bsc.yaml - due to target missing
> >>  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/bus/simple-pm-bus.yaml - due to target missing
> >>  CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml - due to target missing
> >> /Volumes/CaseSensitive/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml: Additional properties are not allowed ('deprecated' was unexpected)
> >> make[2]: *** [Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.example.dts] Error 1
> >> make[1]: *** [dt_binding_check] Error 2
> >> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong?
> >> Is there an option to skip such errors and continue?
> >> Is there an option to just test my bindings and yaml file?
> >>
> > maybe your tools are outdated, so rerun
> >
> > pip3 install git+https://github.com/devicetree-org/dt-schema.git@master
>
> Yes, that one solves the problem!
>
> A better error message of CHKDT would have been helpful. Or an auto-update.

If you know of a "python way" to do auto/self updating I'd like to
know. I looked a while back and didn't find anything. I'm working on a
version check so I can enforce/warn on a minimum version which should
help some.

> Now I just get a lot of messages like
>
>   CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml - due to: Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml:: $id: relative path/filename doesn't match actual path or filename
>         expected: http://devicetree.org/schemas/arm/sunxi/allwinner,sun4i-a10-mbus.yaml:#
>   CHKDT   Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml - due to target missing
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml:: $id: relative path/filename doesn't match actual path or filename
>         expected: http://devicetree.org/schemas/clock/allwinner,sun4i-a10-ahb-clk.yaml:#

Should be fixed if you are on a current rc.

Rob