* 2.2.19: config help text about "TCO timer"
@ 2001-04-12  7:03 Ulrich Windl
From: Ulrich Windl @ 2001-04-12  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I know I'm late, but Configure.help in 2.2.19 says:

..."The TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) timer is a watchdog"...

I know TCO meaning that, but I can't believe it for a mainboard
component. Should the user then throw the PC away, or what? Or is it
more safe to reboot frequently. What has this to do with costs?

Confused,
Ulrich

* Re: 2.2.19: config help text about "TCO timer"
@ 2001-04-12 10:57 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-04-12 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Windl; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I know TCO meaning that, but I can't believe it for a mainboard
> component. Should the user then throw the PC away, or what? Or is it
> more safe to reboot frequently. What has this to do with costs?

Its a watchdog timer. It reduces the <buzzword>TCO</buzzword> by letting you
arrange for your machine to reboot regularly if not poked. Its wonderful and
one of the reasons I deploy i815 motherboards with VIA processors (to avoid
the need for/regular failure of CPU fans) for remote servers.

Alan