* Problem with ASUS CUV4X-D board
@ 2001-08-05 17:27 Alan
From: Alan @ 2001-08-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am running this under 2.4.3. I will be testing 2.4.7 this afternoon to see
if I can fix the problem.

The board works fine with a uniprocessor kernel.

When booking under the stock mandrake 8.0 kernel, I get cascading error
messages about clock problems and blaming a VIA686A chipset.

This has a VT82C686B PCI chipset.

I tried to find info on the web on this and was not ver successful.  (This is
at a friend's house.  He is out in the middle on nowhere and is lucky if he
get 28.8k connections.)

It this one of the non-correctable VIA chipsets?  Is there a workaround for
this?

It is a dual P-III 733 with a gig of ram. I would hate to see it go to waste.
 (Actually it will because it is not at MY house, but that is another
problem. ]:> )

I was going to get one of these boards. I am glad I did not...

* Re: Problem with ASUS CUV4X-D board
@ 2001-08-05 18:44 ` Rodrigo Souza de Castro
From: Rodrigo Souza de Castro @ 2001-08-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 10:27:34AM -0700, Alan wrote:
> I am running this under 2.4.3. I will be testing 2.4.7 this afternoon to see
> if I can fix the problem.
>
> The board works fine with a uniprocessor kernel.
>
> When booking under the stock mandrake 8.0 kernel, I get cascading error
> messages about clock problems and blaming a VIA686A chipset.
>
> This has a VT82C686B PCI chipset.
>
> I tried to find info on the web on this and was not ver successful.  (This is
> at a friend's house.  He is out in the middle on nowhere and is lucky if he
> get 28.8k connections.)
>
> It this one of the non-correctable VIA chipsets?  Is there a workaround for
> this?
>
> It is a dual P-III 733 with a gig of ram. I would hate to see it go to waste.
>  (Actually it will because it is not at MY house, but that is another
> problem. ]:> )
>
> I was going to get one of these boards. I am glad I did not...

	I have this board with a dual P-III 1 GHz and it works fine
with 2.4.7. Make sure you have at least revision 1007A for you BIOS
(the latest is 1010) and disable MPS 1.4 in BIOS configuration.

--
Rodrigo S. de Castro   <rcastro@ime.usp.br>

* Re: Problem with ASUS CUV4X-D board
@ 2001-08-05 18:45 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I tried to find info on the web on this and was not ver successful.  (This is
> at a friend's house.  He is out in the middle on nowhere and is lucky if he
> get 28.8k connections.)
>
> It this one of the non-correctable VIA chipsets?  Is there a workaround for
> this?

The messages about correcting the clock are themselves ok - they will fix
the problem up. It seems to be specific to some VIA firmware. Initially I
thought it might be hardware but it looks like certain SMM events sometimes
corrupt the clock configuration sending it wild

Alan

* Re: Problem with ASUS CUV4X-D board
@ 2001-08-06 23:49   ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2001-08-06 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 05 August 2001 11:44, Rodrigo Souza de Castro wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 10:27:34AM -0700, Alan wrote:
> > I am running this under 2.4.3. I will be testing 2.4.7 this afternoon to
> > see if I can fix the problem.
> >
> > The board works fine with a uniprocessor kernel.
> >
> > When booking under the stock mandrake 8.0 kernel, I get cascading error
> > messages about clock problems and blaming a VIA686A chipset.
> >
> > This has a VT82C686B PCI chipset.
> >
> > I tried to find info on the web on this and was not ver successful.
> > (This is at a friend's house.  He is out in the middle on nowhere and is
> > lucky if he get 28.8k connections.)
> >
> > It this one of the non-correctable VIA chipsets?  Is there a workaround
> > for this?
> >
> > It is a dual P-III 733 with a gig of ram. I would hate to see it go to
> > waste. (Actually it will because it is not at MY house, but that is
> > another problem. ]:> )
> >
> > I was going to get one of these boards. I am glad I did not...
>
> 	I have this board with a dual P-III 1 GHz and it works fine
> with 2.4.7. Make sure you have at least revision 1007A for you BIOS
> (the latest is 1010) and disable MPS 1.4 in BIOS configuration.

The BIOS version was 1010.

Disabling MPS 1.4 fixed the problem!

Thank you very much!