From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: jmcmullan@linuxcare.com (Jason McMullan)
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Why is Device3Dfx driver (voodoo1/2) not in the kernel?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:00:50 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

> > then voodoo would be safe for user direct access.
>
> 	Better stop that this minute Alan! You're starting
> to sound like those old KGI people, with their 'safe kernel
> drivers for video' spiel... ;^)

There are actually distinct similarities between some DRI drivers and what
Linus suggested the KGI people needed to be doing. Certain hardware isnt
totally user safe (not on the extremes of the voodoo1 here) and the drivers
do small amounts of work to stop abuse. All mode changes, rendering
primitives and the like are however in userspace.

I firmly believe you can do X11 with 3D in windows, including partial
occlusion of 3d windows on a 3dfx voodoo1 or voodoo2 card.

Alan