* APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-02 18:23 Sean Middleditch
From: Sean Middleditch @ 2001-11-02 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Greetings,

On my nice new shiny cheap Compaq Laptop, I am unable to get APM
working.  It is a Via VT82C686 motherboard.  The APM support seems to be
running (RH 7.2, rawhide 2.4.12 kernels, at the moment), but I'm always
told that I'm on AC, and there is no system battery.  I do have a
battery, and I'm often not on AC power.  /proc/apm spits out the
following:

1.14ac 1.2 0x03 0x01 0x44 0x80 -1% -1 ?

This is with the AC plug pulled out.  I have no clue what the real
battery status would be.

I read there is now also ACPI, and in /proc/pci I see something about:

VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]

But I don't know how to configure it.  APM seems to be compiled into the
RH kernels (there is no apm module loaded, like I would on Debian), and
I don't see anything regarding ACPI.  I also read that ACPI should
automatically take over APM if support is available.  How can I tell if
I'm not using ACPI because it's not supported, or because it's not
compiled in?

Thanks everyone!
Sean Etc.

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-02 18:31   ` Sean Middleditch
From: Sean Middleditch @ 2001-11-02 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hmm, not to point fingers or anything, but...

"The WindowsXP that came preinstalled supported it!"

I dunno, perhaps there is some proprietary protocol?  Is ACPI backwards
compat with APM?  I mean, if the laptop doesn't support APM, would that
mean it can't support ACPI?

Thanks again,
Sean Etc.

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:34, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I don't see anything regarding ACPI.  I also read that ACPI should
> > automatically take over APM if support is available.  How can I tell if
> > I'm not using ACPI because it's not supported, or because it's not
> > compiled in?
>
> Red Hat shipped kernels dont include acpi. The -1% for the battery
> percentage does look like the laptop may not support much APM if any
> -

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-02 18:34 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-11-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Middleditch; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-11-02 18:41       ` Sean Middleditch
From: Sean Middleditch @ 2001-11-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

OK, so there's a good chance then that if I compile in ACPI I can have
things work OK.  Do I need something besides apmd to handle all that?
Will stuff like the GNOME battery applet still work?

Sean Etc.

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:42, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I dunno, perhaps there is some proprietary protocol?  Is ACPI backwards
> > compat with APM?  I mean, if the laptop doesn't support APM, would that
> > mean it can't support ACPI?
>
> ACPI and APM are exclusive but a BIOS can contain both. Its up to the OS
> not to try and run both together.
> -

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-02 18:42     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-11-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Middleditch; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

@ 2001-11-02 18:42     ` Patrick Mochel
From: Patrick Mochel @ 2001-11-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Middleditch; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

On 2 Nov 2001, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Hmm, not to point fingers or anything, but...
>
> "The WindowsXP that came preinstalled supported it!"

Windows XP requires systems to be fully ACPI (1.0b?) compliant. So, you
probably have an ACPII BIOS, though many BIOSes have some remnants of APM
left in them...

> I dunno, perhaps there is some proprietary protocol?  Is ACPI backwards
> compat with APM?  I mean, if the laptop doesn't support APM, would that
> mean it can't support ACPI?

Probably not, no, and no. ACPI support in Linux is still maturing, and
many things still do not work. I would recommend the ACPI mailing list and
archives for more assistance:

	http://phobos.fs.tum.de/acpi/index.html

	-pat

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-02 18:50         ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-11-02 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Middleditch; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> OK, so there's a good chance then that if I compile in ACPI I can have
> things work OK.  Do I need something besides apmd to handle all that?
> Will stuff like the GNOME battery applet still work?

If you compile in ACPI your box might work. You will need different
(development) tools and suspend wont work yet. ACPI is getting to the
useful point but not quite there - expect an adventure

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-02 18:56       ` Sean Middleditch
From: Sean Middleditch @ 2001-11-02 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Mochel; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

Alrighty!  Thank you!  I'll play around and see if I can't get it to
work.  I don't really care about suspend and whatnot at the moment, I
just want a warning when my battery is getting low.  ~,^

Sean Etc.

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:42, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> On 2 Nov 2001, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > Hmm, not to point fingers or anything, but...
> >
> > "The WindowsXP that came preinstalled supported it!"
>
> Windows XP requires systems to be fully ACPI (1.0b?) compliant. So, you
> probably have an ACPII BIOS, though many BIOSes have some remnants of APM
> left in them...
>
> > I dunno, perhaps there is some proprietary protocol?  Is ACPI backwards
> > compat with APM?  I mean, if the laptop doesn't support APM, would that
> > mean it can't support ACPI?
>
> Probably not, no, and no. ACPI support in Linux is still maturing, and
> many things still do not work. I would recommend the ACPI mailing list and
> archives for more assistance:
>
> 	http://phobos.fs.tum.de/acpi/index.html
>

> 	-pat

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-05  2:49           ` Sean Middleditch
From: Sean Middleditch @ 2001-11-05  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Sean Middleditch, linux-kernel

Erg, hrm.  In 2.4.13 (Debian version, Linux tree I think) I enabled
ACPI, disabled APM.  The latop locks up when the base ACPI support is
loaded.

How should I go about debugging this?  I want this working.

Thanks,
Sean Etc.

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:50, Alan Cox wrote:
> > OK, so there's a good chance then that if I compile in ACPI I can have
> > things work OK.  Do I need something besides apmd to handle all that?
> > Will stuff like the GNOME battery applet still work?
>
> If you compile in ACPI your box might work. You will need different
> (development) tools and suspend wont work yet. ACPI is getting to the
> useful point but not quite there - expect an adventure
> -

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-05  8:49             ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-11-05  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Middleditch; +Cc: Alan Cox, Sean Middleditch, linux-kernel

> Erg, hrm.  In 2.4.13 (Debian version, Linux tree I think) I enabled
> ACPI, disabled APM.  The latop locks up when the base ACPI support is
> loaded.
>
> How should I go about debugging this?  I want this working.

Send the apm maintainer list a report (see MAINTAINERS)

* Re: APM/ACPI
@ 2001-11-05 21:34           ` Mike Panetta
From: Mike Panetta @ 2001-11-05 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 06:50:42PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> If you compile in ACPI your box might work. You will need different
> (development) tools and suspend wont work yet. ACPI is getting to the
> useful point but not quite there - expect an adventure

Does poweroff work?  I cannot get it to work in 2.4.13...
Is this to be expected?  ACPI poweroff worked for me in
2.4.4 and 2.4.7, but alot of new options have been added
since then, maybe I just misconfigured it?

Oh and acpid does not work anymore in 2.4.13, should that
be upgraded too?

Thanks,
Mike

* RE: APM/ACPI