From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: davem@redhat.com (David S. Miller)
Cc: groudier@free.fr, matthias@winterdrache.de, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: sym53c875: reading /proc causes SCSI parity error
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:47:45 +0000 (GMT)	[thread overview]

> Why not just put some bitmap pointer into the pci device
> struct.  If it is non-NULL, it specifies PCI config space
> areas which have side-effects.

Why not avoid poking around in dangerous device spaces. We don't have a
bitmap to protect /dev/mem either. The problem is similar too, we have many
devices with config space beyond the guaranteed bytes that do fatal
things that are not driven directly by Linux - eg some bridges have acpi
stuff overlapping there.

A non root user can only touch the safe bytes