Hi Tom :)) >> Why must I install Python in order to compile the kernel? I don't >> understand this. I think there are better alternatives, but kbuild >> seems to be imposed any way. >kbuild != CML2. Yes, sorry, just a mental shortcircuit ;)) >It all boils down to the current 'language' having no >real definitive spec, and having 3+ incompatible parsers. Yes, I know and I think that is a good thing to have a good configuration language, and it means having a good specification and a good parser. Just I don't think that 6Mb-Python is a good way to write a good parser. Well, I'm sure that I cannot do better (right now), so I don't want to flame anyone with this, just want to show my opinion (shared by many, although) and show the negative points of having Python as a dependence. >The spec for CML2 is out there, and there's even a CML2-in-C project. How advanced? Where is the spec, please? >that project out and then convince Linus to include it. Hard job... Convincing Linus, I mean ;))) >> The kernel should depend just on the compiler and assembler, IMHO. >The right tools for the right job. C is good for the kernel. Python is >good at manipulating strings. Well, IMHO Python is good only in being big and doing things slow, but... why the parser cannot be built over flex/bison?. That way it can be 'pregenerated' and people won't need additional tools to build the kernel. Raśl