From: Daniel Phillips <phillips@arcor.de>
To: Dave McCracken <dmccr@us.ibm.com>,
	"Gerold J. Wucherpfennig" <gjwucherpfennig@gmx.net>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Page table sharing
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:08:12 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 20:40, Dave McCracken wrote:
> --On Wednesday, September 25, 2002 20:12:36 +0200 "Gerold J. Wucherpfennig"
> <gjwucherpfennig@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > What about page table sharing? Does anybody still care about this?
> >
> > The patch from Daniel Phillips
> > (http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7855063&list=35)
> > is a few month old and I can't see any progress.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not a kernel expert, so I can't help.
> > But page table sharing is still listed as betaware at the
> > Linux Kernel 2.5 Status page (http://kernelnewbies.org/status/latest.html)
> > and Page Table sharing isn't marked post Halloween.
> >
> > Some comments from Daniel Phillips or Dave McCracken?
>
> I'm working on it.  I sent out a patch to the mm list a few weeks ago, but
> it didn't have the locking right.  I'm in the proces of finishing an
> improved version with new locking.  I'll send a snapshot of it out when I
> can make it stop oopsing :)

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure how relevant page table sharing has to the halloween deadline
since it's not a feature per se, just an optimization.   It has more to do
with getting numa ia32 boxes to survive, so it's an ideal out-of-tree patch.

Anyway, I feel your pain - debugging these deep VM hacks can get very weird.
I just got back home, I'll have a read through your latest.

--
Daniel