From: Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@calista.eckenfels.6bone.ka-ip.net>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Net device byte statistics
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:26:15 +0200	[thread overview]

In article <200307250437.50928.fredrik@dolda2000.cjb.net> you wrote:
> I almost thought that would be it. I do understand that that code needs to be
> really clean, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GCC's long long
> implementation efficient enough to only add minimal overhead to that?

I think there is mainly an issue with atomic incremets. I am not sure if the
counter can be incremeted concurrently, or if the code path would be
serialized, but there is always the reading side, which may need to retry an
read. Besides that, the counter is in the fast path, so it will add some
delay to packet handling.

I guess a 64bit implementation will need to be a per-cpu solution.

Greetings
Bernd
--
eckes privat - http://www.eckes.org/