* Re: Suspend and AGP in 2.6.0-test9
       [not found] ` <NN6b.pY.5@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2003-11-04 15:50   ` Ruben Puettmann
From: Ruben Puettmann @ 2003-11-04 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Dave Jones

        hy,

> Suspend/Resume code in agpgart is virtually non-existant.

Do you know if there is some work in progress? Without suspend and
resume with XFree most laptop users will not be happy with 2.6.

Here on Thinkpad with ATI 7500 I can suspend but not resume if XFree is
enabled.

                Ruben

--
Ruben Puettmann
ruben@puettmann.net

* Re: Suspend and AGP in 2.6.0-test9
@ 2003-11-04 16:05     ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-11-04 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruben Puettmann; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:50:16PM +0100, Ruben Puettmann wrote:

 > > Suspend/Resume code in agpgart is virtually non-existant.
 > Do you know if there is some work in progress?

not afaik.

 > Without suspend and
 > resume with XFree most laptop users will not be happy with 2.6.

then most laptop users will need to wait until I've got time to
fix it, or fix it themselves.

		Dave

* Re: Suspend and AGP in 2.6.0-test9
@ 2003-11-04 16:21     ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2003-11-04 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruben; +Cc: linux-kernel, Dave Jones

On 11/04/03 23:50, Ruben Puettmann wrote:
>         hy,
>

>>Suspend/Resume code in agpgart is virtually non-existant.
>

> Do you know if there is some work in progress? Without suspend and
> resume with XFree most laptop users will not be happy with 2.6.
>
> Here on Thinkpad with ATI 7500 I can suspend but not resume if XFree is
> enabled.

Here on thinkpad with ATI 7500 I have APM suspend/resume working
in -test9 with the following workaround:

$ more /etc/apm/event.d/video
#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in
suspend)
         /bin/fgconsole > /var/tmp/fgconsole.save
         /usr/bin/chvt 1
         ;;
resume)
         /usr/bin/chvt `cat /var/tmp/fgconsole.save`
         ;;
esac

* Re: Suspend and AGP in 2.6.0-test9
@ 2003-11-05 18:36 Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2003-11-05 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

See these pages:
http://cpbotha.net/dri_resume.html

you will need a patch for your agp chipset as well, although it seems
just re-running the configure() call should work, at least so the page
claims for intel and via chips.

Alex

------------------------------

Hi!

2.6.0-test9 is the first kernel with *almost* working suspend to ram
and suspend to disk.

Well, almost, because when i run X with AGP support enabled i can't
resume - either it hangs forever after displaying "Waiting for DMAs to
settle down..." message or it reboots right after displaying it.
When i force using of PCI bus for acceleration, then suspend (to ram as
well as to disk) with resume works perfectly - but of course, with
disabled
agp everything is significantly slower.

So, my question is - is it known (and not fixable :) bug or it's
something weird and shouldn't happen ? As fair as I googled for similar
problems I have found that people usually have problems with DRI, it
looks
like agp works ok for most of them :) However, on my laptop disabling
DRI doesn't help.

I have Dell Lattitude D600 with:
- ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [Radeon Mobility 9000 M9]
- Intel Corp. 82855PM Processor to AGP Controllerntel Corp. 82855PM
- Latest BIOS (A06)

Here is full output from dmesg, lspci and my current kernel config:

http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~fahren/dmesg
http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~fahren/lspci
http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~fahren/config.gz

I've tried both 2.6.0-test9 and 2.6.0-test9-mm1 with:
- XFree's radeon drivers (from XFree86's cvs) -
As i already wrote, everything work ok untill i load intel-agp
module (or don't force "BusType" to "PCI" in XF86Config) - enabling/
disabling DRI doesn't seem to affect anything.

- ATI's fglrx drivers (ver. 3.2.8) - the same, with enabled
"UseInternalAGPGART" i can't resume. When disabled and without loaded
intel-agp module i can.

I'm suspending by writing to /proc/acpi/sleep - writing to
/sys/power/state returns nice "call trace" screen.
On older versions of kernel (<= 2.6.0-test8*) suspend just doesn't work
- /proc/acpi/sleep behaves like /dev/null :)

If anyone know sollution for it *please* let me know. :>

BTW, standby mode doesn't work at all (and never had on 2.6.0-test* for
me, with 2.4 it is ok) - it goes to sleep, but when resuming it hangs
after displaying "PM: Finishing up."

Maciej Freudenheim.
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
in

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

* Re: Suspend and AGP in 2.6.0-test9
@ 2003-11-03 13:28 ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-11-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Freudenheim; +Cc: linux-kernel, pavel, davej, mochel

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:34:41PM +0100, Maciej Freudenheim wrote:

 > So, my question is - is it known (and not fixable :) bug or it's
 > something weird and shouldn't happen ? As fair as I googled for similar
 > problems I have found that people usually have problems with DRI, it looks
 > like agp works ok for most of them :) However, on my laptop disabling
 > DRI doesn't help.

Suspend/Resume code in agpgart is virtually non-existant.
I've not had chance to try suspend recently, but when I last looked
at it, it wasn't in a state that made debugging particularly easy.
(It's hard to see if you got things right, if it won't resume for eg).
I've not had chance to try it again more recently. It's possible
the various changes that have gone on over the last month or so have
improved the situation somewhat.

		Dave

* Suspend and AGP in 2.6.0-test9
@ 2003-11-03 12:34 Maciej Freudenheim