From: "Hen, Shmulik" <shmulik.hen@intel.com>
To: "Michael Buesch" <fsdeveloper@yahoo.de>,
Cc: <linux-net@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Ethernet falls into deep sleep.
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:39:24 +0300	[thread overview]

It sounds like an ACPI issue. If ACPI is configuring the NIC to do wake-on-lan on pattern matching (I believe it does that by default), than a simple arp "who-has" packet with the target machine's IP address will do. You can take one other machine and clear the arp entry of the specific machine you're trying to wake, and then do ping. The first thing your other machine will send is an arp request that should wake the server up.

BTW, if this server is not supposed to be sleeping at all, you should consider turning ACPI (or maybe APM?) off.

--
| Shmulik Hen                             |
| Israel Design Center (Jerusalem)        |