* RE: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-05  8:12 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-05  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

I finally managed to get the interrupt handler running successfully. The
problem was, if you run the driver in debug mode, the interrupt handler goes
crazy, this also happened to me on 2.2.x.

Now the driver appears to be running successfully, but I still cannot pass
traffic through, any clue of where to start looking?.

http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&strTypes=PLU%
> > 2CDRV%2CUTL&ProductID=415&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21

<http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&strTypes=PLU
> > %2CDRV%2CUTL&ProductID=415&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21>
> >
> > I read a file called e1000.txt and it's attached.  They seem to be
giving
> > away the source for Advanced Networking Services too!!
> >
> > I prefer tech manuals too, and I can't seem to find one on their site.
But

@ 2001-03-05 17:45 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'mjacob@feral.com'; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

I meant that if I had the specs I would have finished the driver sooner,
unfortunately I do not have them, but I am eager to get them in order to
improve performance on the card.

You are right there are no specs on Intel's web site, nor did anyone in
Intel answered any of my e-mails or returned any of my calls.

Ofer

* RE: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-05 17:44 ` Matthew Jacob
From: Matthew Jacob @ 2001-03-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ofer Fryman; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Ofer Fryman wrote:

> I meant that if I had the specs I would have finished the driver sooner,
> unfortunately I do not have them, but I am eager to get them in order to
> improve performance on the card.
>
> You are right there are no specs on Intel's web site, nor did anyone in
> Intel answered any of my e-mails or returned any of my calls.

Heh!

Well- at least you have it working! Good!

* RE: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-05 17:21 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-05 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

Finally e1000 works on linux2.0.x kernel. If only I had the specs a couple
of days ago...

* RE: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-01 19:01 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-01 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

Some more info:
I compiled it with support for IANS and without, but I get the same outcome,
only setting E1000_IMS_RXSEQ will cause endless interrupts that cannot be
stopped not with int_disable and not with cli(), so I guess there must be a
bug somewhere, so I activated it on 2.2.x and surprisingly it works ok.

Another thing is that without E1000_IMS_RXSEQ, I can see that the interrupt
handler is being evoked, but the driver does not try to receive or send
although I try pinging in and out of my machine.

Ofer

* RE: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-01 17:21 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-01 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jes Sorensen'; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

I am upgrading to 2.2.x, but mean while I need e1000 driver to run on 2.0.x,
I'm sure that others might need it too.

From: Jes Sorensen @ 2001-03-01 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ofer Fryman
  Cc: 'kernel@kvack.org', 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

@ 2001-03-01 16:49 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-01 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'root@chaos.analogic.com'; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

Thanks Richard,

I guess I have know choice but to try your suggestion.

Ofer

From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2001-03-01 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jacob; +Cc: kernel, Ofer Fryman, 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > > Intel refuses to provide complete documentation for any of their ethernet
> > > cards.  I recommend purchasing alternative products from vendors like 3com
> > > and National Semiconduct who are cooperative in providing data needed by
> > > the development community.
> > >

> > Well Intel has been a continual contributor to Linux and BSD. Somebody
> > is not getting to the right person. There are lazy people at all
> > companies.
>
> Sorry, I don't believe that that this is correct in this case. I spoke on the
> telephone with the "Manager for Open Source Systems", and the concept of
> releasing documents to that a driver could be written whose source would be
> available was a concept too far. He kept on asking about NDAs- I kept on
> saying, yes, I'll sign an NDA (presumably so knowledge of advanced features,
> such as VLAN taggging, e.g., would not be released if they did not want it to
> be)- but the basic driver source would have to be OPEN! (this was for *BSD,
> but that's the same as linux in this case- we *all* want the damned source
> open). No meeting of minds. I have been trying this on and off for two years
> so that I can properly support the Wiseman && Livengood chipsets in *BSD. No
> luck, ergo, reverse engineering of what little they release with the Linux
> driver is the order of the day still. The Linux driver, btw, is pretty clearly
> a port of an NT driver- which is quite amusing.
>
> FWIW.....I just think that the overall company policy within Intel, much like
> that of NetApp and others, is, "Open Source? Well, maybe, err,umm.. "...  It's
> just not that important to them (as a company, they think). That said- if you
> can get access to said documentation (which I understand comes in a certain
> notebook that indicates releasing outside of Intel is a firing offense)- more
> power to you!
>
> -matt

The way I've gotten so-called proprietary information in the past is
to let the world know that "boneserver.analogic.com" 204.178.40.210 is
an open ftp site in which I don't even log what's uploaded and downloaded.

I check it once or twice a week to see if somebody has sent me anything
of interest. Sometimes, persons unknown to me, have deposited information
that I need.

Now I seem to need some programming information on the Intel e-1000.
I'll keep you informed if anything turns up.

@ 2001-03-01 16:21     ` Matthew Jacob
From: Matthew Jacob @ 2001-03-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard B. Johnson
  Cc: kernel, Ofer Fryman, 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

@ 2001-03-01 16:02   ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2001-03-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel; +Cc: Ofer Fryman, 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 kernel@kvack.org wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Ofer Fryman wrote:
>
> > I managed to compiled e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14, I can also load it
> > successfully.
> > With the E1000_IMS_RXSEQ bit set in IMS_ENABLE_MASK I get endless interrupts
> > and the computer freezes, without this bit set it works but I cannot receive
> > or send anything.
>
> Intel refuses to provide complete documentation for any of their ethernet
> cards.  I recommend purchasing alternative products from vendors like 3com
> and National Semiconduct who are cooperative in providing data needed by
> the development community.

Well Intel has been a continual contributor to Linux and BSD. Somebody
is not getting to the right person. There are lazy people at all
companies.

Here is a compressed `grep` of linux-kernel mail headers from Intel
who had something useful to say during the past year. Maybe you
can ask one of them for the information you need? You just need to
find an advocate at a big company.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/octet-stream, Size: 958 bytes --]

* RE: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-01 15:51 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'kernel@kvack.org'; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

I need a giga fiber PMC cards for linux2.0.36-pre14, the only cards I know
are either Intel based or level-one lxt-1001 card, the level-one lxt-1001
has very bad performance so I cannot use it.

Thanks,
Ofer

> I managed to compiled e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14, I can also load it
> successfully.
> With the E1000_IMS_RXSEQ bit set in IMS_ENABLE_MASK I get endless
interrupts
> and the computer freezes, without this bit set it works but I cannot
receive
> or send anything.

Intel refuses to provide complete documentation for any of their ethernet
cards.  I recommend purchasing alternative products from vendors like 3com
and National Semiconduct who are cooperative in providing data needed by
the development community.

		-ben

* RE: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-01 15:51 ` kernel
From: kernel @ 2001-03-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ofer Fryman; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Ofer Fryman wrote:

> I need a giga fiber PMC cards for linux2.0.36-pre14, the only cards I know
> are either Intel based or level-one lxt-1001 card, the level-one lxt-1001
> has very bad performance so I cannot use it.

Well, 2.0 kernels are sufficiently old that there's little likelyhood of
newer gige drivers supporting them unless you do the work yourself.  My
personal recommendation would be moving to a 2.2 or 2.4 kernel and using
an Acenic.

		-bem

* Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-01 15:33 Ofer Fryman
From: Ofer Fryman @ 2001-03-01 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

I managed to compiled e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14, I can also load it
successfully.
With the E1000_IMS_RXSEQ bit set in IMS_ENABLE_MASK I get endless interrupts
and the computer freezes, without this bit set it works but I cannot receive
or send anything.

Does any one have a clue?.
Thanks
Ofer

* Re: Intel-e1000 for Linux 2.0.36-pre14
@ 2001-03-01 15:30 ` kernel
From: kernel @ 2001-03-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ofer Fryman; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'