Ulrich, I've incorporated your suggestions, wih the exception of passing the pthreaad mutex attribute into the kernel for futex_register. I'd like to be able to pass the attributes associated with the pthread_mutex into the kernel so the kernel can support whatever attributes are on the mutex without having to change the interface between glibc and the kernel. If we pass the attributes in for robustness we don't have to change the interface if/when the kernel supports other attributes, like priority inheritance. Let me know what you think of the implementation, and thanks for the suggestions, they made the patch much less intrusive. David The original code for this patch was supplied by Todd Kneisel. Incorporated changes suggested by Urich Drepper. fs/dcache.c | 2 include/linux/fs.h | 2 include/linux/futex.h | 33 ++++ init/Kconfig | 9 + kernel/exit.c | 2 kernel/futex.c | 395 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 6 files changed, 443 insertions(+)