From: "Kevin Leung" <sac98993@hotmail.com>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:49:51 -0800	[thread overview]
raw)

Hello All,

I am very new to Linux and am working on a project. The nature of the
project is to essentially record all process/thread scheduling activity for
use in a later application. I wanted to know if any experts out there knew
of any libraries that could essentially "monitor" or "listen" for any
scheduling changes made. For instance if the kernel decides to set process A
from "sleeping" to "running" and process B from "running" to "sleeping", I
wanted to know if there was a function that could generate an immediate
notification of this event. Priority change information is also desireable.
The more aspects which trigger notificaiton, the better. As a first attempt,
I tried understanding the source code of the system monitor application. I
gained some insight, but still have questions. Mainly questions pertaining
to how the system monitor application receives the most "up-to-the-minute"
information on what process are running, what processes are sleeping etc. I
got stuck in the code and decided to explore another means.  Any advice or
insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated. If a library isn't
available, does anyone know the difficulty involved if I tried to modify the
kernel to provide this information?

Please CC me the comments and responses posted to the list in response to my
posting

Thank You in advance

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
$29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/