* Need help with failling gcm_base(ctr,ghash-generic) selftest
@ 2019-08-01 19:42 Corentin Labbe
From: Corentin Labbe @ 2019-08-01 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herbert, linux-crypto; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello

I am writing the Allwinner sun8i-ce driver and when running tcrypt I got
[   30.201739] alg: aead: gcm_base(ctr-aes-sun8i-ce,ghash-generic) decryption failed on test vector 3; expected_error=0, actual_error=-74, cfg=\"random: may_sleep use_digest src_divs=[100.0%@+2614] dst_divs=[5.90%@alignmask+3015, 60.56%@+3996, 17.92%@+865, 15.62%@+10]\"
or
[  148.613537] alg: aead: gcm_base(ctr-aes-sun8i-ce,ghash-generic) encryption test failed (wrong result) on test vector 2, cfg=\"random: may_sleep use_final src_divs=[100.0%@+0] iv_offset=20\"

Since ctr-aes-sun8i-ce is passing the ctr(aes) selftest, I dont understand what could be wrong.

Thanks
Regards

* RE: Need help with failling gcm_base(ctr,ghash-generic) selftest
@ 2019-08-02  0:24 ` Pascal Van Leeuwen
From: Pascal Van Leeuwen @ 2019-08-02  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corentin Labbe, herbert, linux-crypto; +Cc: linux-kernel

The decryption reports only an -EBADMSG here, which means the decryption itself went
fine, but the authentication tag mismatched.

> [  148.613537] alg: aead: gcm_base(ctr-aes-sun8i-ce,ghash-generic) encryption test failed
> (wrong result) on test vector 2, cfg=\"random: may_sleep use_final src_divs=[100.0%@+0]
> iv_offset=20\"

Can't say for sure, but considering the decrypt error, this is most likely just a
mismatch on the appended authentication tag.

> Since ctr-aes-sun8i-ce is passing the ctr(aes) selftest, I dont understand what could be
> wrong.

That is possible, as this appears to be a problem with the authentication part,
not the encryption part. So possibly a problem with the way you setup the
authentication key (which is actually derived from the encryption key, but I don't
know if your hardware does this autonomously, mine doesn't) and/or operation?

> Thanks
> Regards

Regards,
Pascal van Leeuwen
Silicon IP Architect, Multi-Protocol Engines @ Verimatrix
www.insidesecure.com

* Re: Need help with failling gcm_base(ctr,ghash-generic) selftest
@ 2019-08-02  5:18   ` Corentin Labbe
From: Corentin Labbe @ 2019-08-02  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Van Leeuwen; +Cc: herbert, linux-crypto, linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 12:24:04AM +0000, Pascal Van Leeuwen wrote:
> [...]

But since my driver is just a skcipher, I dont understand why I should care about any aead part, right ?

* RE: Need help with failling gcm_base(ctr,ghash-generic) selftest
@ 2019-08-02  8:55     ` Pascal Van Leeuwen
From: Pascal Van Leeuwen @ 2019-08-02  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 12:24:04AM +0000, Pascal Van Leeuwen wrote:

Ah, my bad ... your aes-ctr skcipher is being wrapped by the generic gcm_base
template here, I missed that detail ... wish I could help you further, but
I can't think of anything obvious that could cause this (decrypt fails on auth
as I remarked earlier but only with a specific scatter buffer layout??).