From: "John Chris Wren" <jcwren@jcwren.com>
To: "Daniel" <ddickman@nyc.rr.com>,
	"Linux kernel" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: obsolete code must die
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:11:12 -0400	[thread overview]

	As an end user who uses cheap laptops for firewalls, I'm pretty much
against this.  I've got 2.2.18, 2.4.4-ac8, and 2.4.4-ac12 installed as
firewall machines on 486 laptops.  Why should we (the collective Linux
world, not me personnally, since I'm not a kernel developer) limit the class
of machines people can run?

	In fact, this seems to be one of the appealing features of Linux, that it
runs on any x86 hardware class with a MMU.  It allows people to get involved
in Linux without making a committment to buying a new PC until they know
they like it, or buying a new HD to do a dual boot install to experiment.
Laptops are a particular issue here, because many of the laptops people can
obtain inexpensively ARE 386/486 class machines.

	I'm all for cleaning up the kernel code, but I think it would be better
served by documentation, not by limiting the hardware that can be run.

	I can't speak authoritively on how much of the kernel code is processor
specific, since GCC takes care of most of that.  I do know there are
sections that are affected by the processor selection, but I can't believe
that it's a significantly large enough portion to justify ripping it out in
the name of cleaning it up.

	I do agree with deleting obsolete code, but not obsoleting hardware so we
CAN delete code.

	--John