* unsigned long event initialization
@ 2003-12-05  0:43 Avishay Traeger
From: Avishay Traeger @ 2003-12-05  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I am trying to figure out exactly how Linux assigns generation numbers to
inodes.  In most filesystems (such as ext2/ext3) the generation number is
assigned to event++.  This variable is declared in kernel/timer.c, but
apparently not initialized.  I made 3 files, each one immediately after a
reboot, and this is the information I got:

generation#
10417bbc
bf612079
8cf4b829

>From what I can tell, event is only incremented in a few places in the fs
directory.  Can someone please explain if event is actually initialized,
and if so, to what?  And if it is initialized to a specific number, how
are these generation numbers so big and varied?

tia.

Avishay Traeger

File System and Storage Lab
Computer Science Department
Stony Brook University

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-12-05  0:43 UTC | newest]