From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc: jakub@redhat.com, David <dllorens@lsi.uji.es>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Posible bug in gcc
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:02:45 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Well gcc-bugs would be the better place to send it but this is a known problem
> > > fixed in CVS gcc 2.95.3, CVS gcc 3.0 branch and gcc 2.96 (unofficial, Red Hat)
> >
> > I'm not sure if it is known, at least not known to me, but definitely not
> > fixed in any of gcc 2.95.2, CVS gcc 3.0 branch, CVS gcc 3.1 head, gcc 2.96-RH.
>
> Sorry my error for assuming it was the exsting known strength reduce bug

Script started on Mon Feb 26 12:54:20 2001
# gcc -o xxx bug.c
# ./xxx
Correct output: 5 2
GCC output:  5 2
# gcc --version
egcs-2.91.66
# gcc -O2 -o xxx bug.c
# ./xxx
Correct output: 5 2
GCC output:  10 5
# exit
exit

Script done on Mon Feb 26 12:55:21 2001

Definitely has something to do with broken optimization. No optimization,
no bug, turn on '-O2' and you have the bug.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.