From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
To: Linux kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: SMP spin-locks
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:26:05 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

I __finally__ got back on "the list". They finally fixed the
company firewall!

During my absence, I had the chance to look at some SMP code
because of a performance problem (a few microseconds out of
spec on a 130 MHz embedded system) and I have a question about
the current spin-locks.

Spin-locks now transfer control to the .text.lock segment.
This is a separate segment that can be at an offset that
is far away from the currently executing code. That may
cause the cache to be reloaded. Further, each spin-lock
invocation generates separate code within that segment.

Question 1: Why?

Question 2: What is the purpose of the code sequence, "repz nop"
generated by the spin-lock code? Is this a processor BUG work-around?
`as` doesn't "like" this sequence and, Intel doesn't seem to
document it.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.