* The x Bit Problem
       [not found]         ` <3FD00086.90607@ninja.dynup.net>
@ 2003-12-05  5:24           ` Grant Miner
From: Grant Miner @ 2003-12-05  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list; +Cc: linux-kernel

An interesting thing I discovered is that Windows simply ignores the 'x'
bit (I should say the Windows equivalent of the 'x' bit, called
"traverse folder / execute file"), but there is a policy setting that
overrides this attribute.

I know users get tripped up on this a lot in Unix, like when they don't
understand why the webserver can't read their public_html directory.  It
might be a good option for Linux.

* Re: The x Bit Problem
@ 2003-12-05  8:07             ` Bob
From: Bob @ 2003-12-05  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Grant Miner wrote:

> An interesting thing I discovered is that Windows simply ignores the
> 'x' bit (I should say the Windows equivalent of the 'x' bit, called
> "traverse folder / execute file"), but there is a policy setting that
> overrides this attribute.
>
> I know users get tripped up on this a lot in Unix, like when they
> don't understand why the webserver can't read their public_html
> directory.  It might be a good option for Linux.
>
> -
> linux-kernel" in

Windows doesn't just ignore it. When I move
files from win to linux all the x bits are turned
on so txt and bz2 and jpg files are marked
executable. That's annoying and a security
risk.

-Bob

* Re: The x Bit Problem
@ 2003-12-05 12:30               ` Tomasz Rola
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2003-12-05 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob; +Cc: linux-kernel, Tomasz Rola

* Re: The x Bit Problem
@ 2003-12-05 12:44             ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2003-12-05 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Miner; +Cc: reiserfs-list, linux-kernel

Grant Miner wrote:

> An interesting thing I discovered is that Windows simply ignores the
> 'x' bit (I should say the Windows equivalent of the 'x' bit, called
> "traverse folder / execute file"), but there is a policy setting that
> overrides this attribute.
>
> I know users get tripped up on this a lot in Unix, like when they
> don't understand why the webserver can't read their public_html
> directory.  It might be a good option for Linux.

The right solution is to have a separate readdir permission, so that a
file-directory can be not executable but be listable, and vice-versa.
The problem comes from overloading the bit and also changing whether
objects can be simultaneously files and directories.

--
Hans

* Re: The x Bit Problem
@ 2003-12-05 14:04                 ` Tomasz Rola