* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-16 16:49 ` Robert Love
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Love @ 2003-04-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Vargas; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 12:54, Antonio Vargas wrote:

> I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
> if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
> 2.4.19+.

Other than modutils(*) there are no issues with RH9 and 2.5.  I am
running RH9 with 2.5 on my daily workstation.

Even NPTL, sysenter, and all the other goodies work flawlessly.  It is
quite nice.

(*) modutils may even work if RH ships the compatibility layer and the
new module tools.  I have no idea, I do not use modules.

	Robert Love

* RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-16 16:54 Antonio Vargas
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Antonio Vargas @ 2003-04-16 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
2.4.19+.

I've got a separate machine for mail, compiling and whatever
else I need for real work. I just need to assure I can run
my 2.5 kernel on this distro and use it for desktop. Do I
need some special packages, manual installs, etc...???

I can recall there are modutils issues, and would not mind
compiling/installing my own, but are there any other issues?

Greets, Antonio.

ps. cowahead! ;)

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-16 16:56 ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2003-04-16 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Vargas; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:54:08 +0200, Antonio Vargas <wind@cocodriloo.com>  said:

> I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
> if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
> 2.4.19+.

I'm running 2.5.67 on an otherwise mostly-RH9, and it works fine modulo the
usual issues with bleeding-edge kernels.  I've only hit two issues that are
at all redhat specific:

1) Get Rusty's module tools (but you knew that).  If you install them
right, they'll DTRT if you boot a 2.4 kernel too (keep the RH kernel
around just in case. ;)

2) You'll need this work-around for modules, probably:

*** etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.orig    2003-04-16 12:52:22.780531536 -0400
--- etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit 2003-04-09 21:40:36.000000000 -0400
***************
*** 360,365 ****
--- 360,366 ----
  if ! LC_ALL=C grep -iq nomodules /proc/cmdline 2>/dev/null && [ -f /proc/ksyms ]; then
      USEMODULES=y
  fi
+ USEMODULES=y

  # Our modutils don't support it anymore, so we might as well remove
  # the preferred link.

(or some other similar work-around for /proc/ksyms not being in 2.5 kernels)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-16 18:32 ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-04-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Vargas; +Cc: LKML

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 18:54, Antonio Vargas wrote:
> I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
> if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
> 2.4.19+.

I'm running on RHL 9 with 2.5.67-mm3 (plus Russell King PCMCIA/CardBus
patches) and updated modutils + procutils + nfs-utils. It works
flawlessly, although I needed some tweaking for "/etc/init.d/rc.sysinit"
which insists in setting the module and hotplug helper binaries to
"/sbin/true" due to missing "/proc/ksyms".
Linux Registered User #287198

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-16 18:53 ` Arador
From: Arador @ 2003-04-16 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Vargas; +Cc: linux-kernel

Antonio Vargas <wind@cocodriloo.com> wrote:

> compiling/installing my own, but are there any other issues?

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt is a pretty good guide
for starting to use 2.5 .

Diego Calleja

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-16 18:54   ` jjs
From: jjs @ 2003-04-16 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux kernel

Robert Love wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 12:54, Antonio Vargas wrote:
>

>>I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
>>if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
>>2.4.19+.
>>

>Other than modutils(*) there are no issues with RH9 and 2.5.  I am
>running RH9 with 2.5 on my daily workstation.
>
>Even NPTL, sysenter, and all the other goodies work flawlessly.  It is
>quite nice.

Bestaetigt!

RH9 + 2.5.67-mm is quite nice here - apache,
squid, postfix, iptables, openvpn, bind - and a
very snappy X11 desktop -

The only extra requirement is rusty's module
init-tools.

Joe

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-17 14:23   ` jlnance
From: jlnance @ 2003-04-17 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 12:49:02PM -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 12:54, Antonio Vargas wrote:
>
> > I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
> > if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
> > 2.4.19+.
>
> Other than modutils(*) there are no issues with RH9 and 2.5.  I am
> running RH9 with 2.5 on my daily workstation.

I have a related question.  While I am confident I can get RH9 to work
with a 2.5 kernel, I would like to do this in such a way that booting
into a 2.4 kernel still works, and installing updated 2.4 kernel RPMs
from Red Hat also continues to work.  I would also like to avoid making
any changes that prevent me from upgrading to the next RH release.  I
assume I can accomplish this by only making changes that involve installing
rpms rather than installing programs directly.  I am not confident I can
accomplish all this, having failed in my attempt with RH8 :-)

Can anyone comment on the feasibility of this?

Thanks,

Jim

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-17 14:47     ` Pau Aliagas
From: Pau Aliagas @ 2003-04-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml, jlnance

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 jlnance@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:

> I have a related question.  While I am confident I can get RH9 to work
> with a 2.5 kernel, I would like to do this in such a way that booting
> into a 2.4 kernel still works, and installing updated 2.4 kernel RPMs
> from Red Hat also continues to work.  I would also like to avoid making
> any changes that prevent me from upgrading to the next RH release.  I
> assume I can accomplish this by only making changes that involve installing
> rpms rather than installing programs directly.  I am not confident I can
> accomplish all this, having failed in my attempt with RH8 :-)

* ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modutils-2.4.21-18.src.rpm
* rpmbuild --rebuild modutils-2.4.21-18.src.rpm
* rpm -Uvh modutils-2.4.21-18.i386.rpm
* add the new kernel to /boot/grub/grub.conf

# vi /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
:360,360s/ksyms/modules/g
:wq

You are done.
Pau

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-17 14:48     ` John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-04-17 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlnance; +Cc: Robert Love, linux-kernel

> > > I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
> > > if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
> > > 2.4.19+.
> >
> > Other than modutils(*) there are no issues with RH9 and 2.5.  I am
> > running RH9 with 2.5 on my daily workstation.
>
> I have a related question.  While I am confident I can get RH9 to work
> with a 2.5 kernel, I would like to do this in such a way that booting
> into a 2.4 kernel still works, and installing updated 2.4 kernel RPMs
> from Red Hat also continues to work.  I would also like to avoid making
> any changes that prevent me from upgrading to the next RH release.  I
> assume I can accomplish this by only making changes that involve installing
> rpms rather than installing programs directly.  I am not confident I can
> accomplish all this, having failed in my attempt with RH8 :-)
>
> Can anyone comment on the feasibility of this?

If you don't use modules at all, and simply compile everything in, you
can ignore the modutils issue completely.  Other than that, you should
have no problems.

John.

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-17 14:54       ` John Jasen
From: John Jasen @ 2003-04-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: jlnance, Robert Love, linux-kernel

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, John Bradford wrote:

> If you don't use modules at all, and simply compile everything in, you
> can ignore the modutils issue completely.  Other than that, you should
> have no problems.

Isn't modules-init backward compatible, or did I read wrong somewhere?

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen@realityfailure.org)
-- User Error #2361: Please insert coffee and try again.

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-17 15:02         ` John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-04-17 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Jasen; +Cc: John Bradford, jlnance, Robert Love, linux-kernel

> > If you don't use modules at all, and simply compile everything in, you
> > can ignore the modutils issue completely.  Other than that, you should
> > have no problems.
>
> Isn't modules-init backward compatible, or did I read wrong somewhere?

Yes, but I was assuming that you'd want to leave the RedHat module
utilities RPM as it was, to make future upgrades easier.

I.E. you can use 2.5.X without hitting the modutils issue at all, is
what I meant.

John.

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-17 15:03   ` Antonio Vargas
From: Antonio Vargas @ 2003-04-17 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Alfaro Solana; +Cc: Antonio Vargas, LKML

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:32:34PM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 18:54, Antonio Vargas wrote:
> > I've just installed RedHat 9 on my desktop machine and I'd like
> > if it will support running under 2.5.65+ instead of his usual
> > 2.4.19+.
>
> I'm running on RHL 9 with 2.5.67-mm3 (plus Russell King PCMCIA/CardBus
> patches) and updated modutils + procutils + nfs-utils. It works
> flawlessly, although I needed some tweaking for "/etc/init.d/rc.sysinit"
> which insists in setting the module and hotplug helper binaries to
> "/sbin/true" due to missing "/proc/ksyms".

I managed to avoid some of these things:

1. I compiled everything in-kernel and disabled modules, thus no modules
   related problems (*)

2. RH9 procutils _seems_ to work fine: I can do "vmstat 1" whereas the older
   gentoo image from summer I used to test boot 2.5 didn't.

(*) RH9 detected my elitegroup motherboard integrated sound and unsed the i810
    module, but now with everything in it seems I can't have sound any ideas?
    Hmm, yes I _did_ compile i810 support in-kernel ;)

I'm also having another problem: gnome-terminal is freaking out when i run
"make menuconfig" on it, very strange....

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-17 16:05     ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-04-17 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Vargas; +Cc: Felipe Alfaro Solana, LKML

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 11:03, Antonio Vargas wrote:

> 2. RH9 procutils _seems_ to work fine: I can do "vmstat 1" whereas the older
>    gentoo image from summer I used to test boot 2.5 didn't.

It does work fine.

The Red Hat 9 procps is very recent, even with some nice NPTL
enhancements.  If you want to try a newer release, you can get a CVS
snapshot from http://tech9.net/rml/procps.  But the RH9 version should
be fine in 2.5.

	Robert Love

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-18 14:31         ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-04-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Jasen; +Cc: John Bradford, jlnance, Robert Love, linux-kernel

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, John Jasen wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, John Bradford wrote:
>
> > If you don't use modules at all, and simply compile everything in, you
> > can ignore the modutils issue completely.  Other than that, you should
> > have no problems.
>
> Isn't modules-init backward compatible, or did I read wrong somewhere?

It can be installed such that it calls the old versions, renamed to
xxx-old, if used from a 2.4 system. However, I don't think Redhat did that
type install for 9.0, so it will probably not work after an upgrade.

The last I looked modprobe.conf was a seriously deficient subset of
modules.conf, but I haven't d/l the latest version, so some of the
omissions may have been addressed. The major feature missing is (or was)
the lack of probe capability (and probeall). You can run a dual system,
but you do have to work at it a little bit.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-18 15:45           ` Paul Clements
From: Paul Clements @ 2003-04-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Davidsen
  Cc: John Jasen, John Bradford, jlnance, Robert Love, linux-kernel

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> The last I looked modprobe.conf was a seriously deficient subset of
> modules.conf, but I haven't d/l the latest version, so some of the
> omissions may have been addressed. The major feature missing is (or was)
> the lack of probe capability (and probeall).

I think you can achieve the same outcome with a carefully crafted "install"
command in modprobe.conf (granted it will be much more verbose than the
equivalent "probe").

Try "man modprobe.conf" after installing Rusty's new modutils...

--
Paul

* Re: RedHat 9 and 2.5.x support
@ 2003-04-18 16:32             ` Paul Clements
From: Paul Clements @ 2003-04-18 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidsen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Paul Clements wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > The last I looked modprobe.conf was a seriously deficient subset of
> > modules.conf, but I haven't d/l the latest version, so some of the
> > omissions may have been addressed. The major feature missing is (or was)
> > the lack of probe capability (and probeall).
>
> I think you can achieve the same outcome with a carefully crafted "install"
> command in modprobe.conf (granted it will be much more verbose than the
> equivalent "probe").

Actually, it's even easier than that...Rusty's included a script:

/sbin/generate-modprobe.conf

in the new modutils package that will convert modules.conf to modprobe.conf
automagically...

--
Paul