From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@opensourceadvocate.org>
To: Dan Streetman <ddstreet@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ps2 keyboard filter hook
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:50:24 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Dan Streetman wrote:

>Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:03:38 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Dan Streetman <ddstreet@us.ibm.com>
>To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
>Cc: Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
>Subject: Re: ps2 keyboard filter hook
>

>>Didn't we just conclude a discussion here on linux-kernel, which said
>>that patches which simply add hooks allowing proprietary extensions are
>>not accepted into the kernel?
>
>Yes (I assume you mean the whole 'sockreg' register/unregister thread(s)...;-)
>
>I never intended to get that patch in.  In fact I would be shocked (and a bit
>horrified) if it was accepted.
>
>But management doesn't listen to me when I say it will never get accepted so I
>had to make a token effort of submitting it to prove it won't get accepted.
>
>And I did try hard to convince them to release the actual driver but it didn't
>work.

I find it very odd indeed with IBM's big voice of open source
praise, yada yada, and what Lou has said in the past, that there
would be any question at all of wether it would be open source or
not.  Isn't big blue behind open source?  Or is it just for
publicity?  Makes me wonder now...

Must be some real good rocket science in that interface that
theres no way on earth someone else could come up with it for it
to be important IP to protect.  Makes me wonder what's hiding
behind it...

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open Source advocate
       Opinions and viewpoints expressed are solely my own.
DISCLAIMER - These opoi^H^H "damn", ^H, [esc :q :qq !q "shoot!" :Q! "Whaddya
mean, Not an editor command?" :wq! ^C^C^C !STOP ^bye ^quit :quit! !halt ...
^w^q :!w :wq! ^D :qq!! ^STOP [HALT!   HALT!!! "Why's it doing this?" :stopit!
:wwqq!! ^Z ^L ^ESC STOP  :bye  bye  bye! "Hey, what's this red button d..."