* Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-15 22:06 Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-06-15 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

	ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/

		 Intermediate diffs are available from
			http://www.bzimage.org

2.4.5-ac15
o	Enable MMX extensions on Cyrix MII		(me)
o	Make pid on core dump configurable		(Ben LaHaise)
o	Random UML fixups, add fcntl64/getdents64	(Jeff Dike)
o	Add multicast support to UML			(Harland Welte)
o	Ensure promise raid driver doesnt look at non	(Arjan van de Ven)
	disk devices
o	Fix IDE chipsets that incorrectly think a 64K	(Mark Lord)
	DMA is in fact zero size
o	Fix generic alpha build trident driver		(Michal Jaegermann)
o	SHM accounting fixes				(Christoph Rohland)
o	Update refill_inactive to match Linus tree	(Rik van Riel)
o	Add Asustek L8400K to the dmi data		(me)
o	Add kernel mode keyboard rate setup		(Sergey Tursanov)
o	Alpha compile fix				(Richard Henderson)
o	Add Ali1533 to the isa dma quirks		(Angelo Di Filippo)
o	Fix a procfs oops				(Al Viro)
o	Alpha symbol/warning fixes			(Michal Jaegermann)
o	Some laptops take a long time for the cs4281	(Rik van Riel)
	and codec bus to wake up
o	Fix potential flags corruption on error path	(me)
	in comx-mixcom driver

2.4.5-ac14
o	Fix oops on command abort on aha152x		(me)
	| This so far is only a partial fix
o	Switch to unlazy swap cache free up		(Marcelo Tosatti)
o	Page launder changes				(Rik van Riel)
o	Remove dead irda irlap compression code		(Dag Brattli)
o	Fix bug where init/main.c executes freed code	(Hans-Peter Nilsson)
o	Fix ramfs accounting. truncate/freepage hook	(Christoph Rohland)
o	Add MTWEOF ioctl to parallel tape		(Russ Ingram)
o	Add driver for CATC based USB ethernet		(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Update cris architecture code			(Bjorn Wesen)
o	Clean up reiserfs tail->full page convert	(Chris Mason)
o	Clean up lp init, fix lp= option handling	(Tim Waugh)
o	Don't panic on out of memory during ps/2 setup	(Andrey Panin)
o	Initialise vc_cons objects in full		(Richard Hirst)
o	Futher Configure.help resync			(Eric Raymond)
o	Fix misdeclaration of xtime			(Petr Vandrovec)
o	Add yet more sb variants			(Andrey Panin)
o	Fix bogus VIA warning triggers (I hope)		(me)
o	Fix 3c509 symbols when building nonpnp		(Keith Owens)

2.4.5-ac13
o	Fix i2o_block to use invalidate_device		(me)
o	Fix viodasd to use invalidate_device		(me)
o	Fix missing ipc alloc check			(Manfred Spraul)
o	Use skb_purge_queue in isdn			(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Fix epic100 printk error			(Francois Romieu)
o	Resync with master Configure.help		(Eric Raymond)
o	Avoid oops when reading swap proc during swapon	(Paul Menage)
o	Sony pi driver update				(Stelian Pop)
o	Sony motioneye camera driver			(Stelian Pop,
							 Andrew Tridgell)
o	Fix eepro100 access by user to some registers	(Andrey Savochkin)
o	Small APM real mode reboot clean ups		(Stephen Rothwell)
o	Fix isofs buffer leak on invalid iocharset	(Tachino Nobuhiro)
o	Fix default encoding on pwc videocam		(Mark Cooke)
o	Clean up FAT further, fix endian bug, and times	(OGAWA Hirofumi)
	before 1/1/1980
o	Support combo parallel/serial PCI cards		(Tim Waugh)
o	CS46xx mmap oops fix				(me)

2.4.5-ac12
o	Report apic timer vector in hex too		(Philip Pokorny)
	| With 0x in front so we can tell on reports..
o	Report card services differently if kernel	(Jeff Garzik)
o	Don't terminate init on sysrq			(Adam Slattery)
	unless forced
o	Add more pci wrappers when PCI is off		(Jeff Garzik)
o	Remove 4K object from the stack in emu10k1	(me)
o	Remove 3.5K object from the i2o_proc stack	(me)
o	Remove 3K object from the ewrk3 ioctl stack	(me)
o	Fix bugs in the es1371 locking			(me)
o	Fix ohci iso alignments				(Roman Weissgaerber)
o	Updated megaraid driver				(Atul Mukker)
	| In paticular this now uses the new PCI api

2.4.5-ac11
o	Fix the megaraid driver ioctl check		(me)
o	Fix the moxa ioctl checks			(me)
o	Fix the i810 dri length check			(me)
o	Fix array check in se401.c			(me)
o	Fix scc irq array problems			(me)
o	Fix sign check on zr36120			(me)
o	Fix sign check in raw driver			(me)
o	Fix zr36067 array size check			(me)
	| All the above from the Stanford checker
o	Fix an irq order assumption in the i810 audio	(Doug Ledford)
o	Make real mode poweroff configurable and also	(Arjan van de Ven)
	add DMI entries for it
o	Clean up Alpha oops reporting			(Will Woods)
o	Fix ia64 build bug from mmap change		(Bill Nottingham)
o	Fix sysinfo padding so m68k comes out right	(Jes Sorensen)
o	Update pci ids related to ide devices		(Andre Hedrick)
o	Update ide registers/ioctl numbers/info		(Andre Hedrick)
o	Fix speed detection on slc90e66			(Andre Hedrick)
o	Update promise IDE driver			(Andre Hedrick)
o	osb4 becomes generic serverworks ide driver	(Andre Hedrick)
o	Use new inits on ide_tape, add a reinit		(Andre Hedrick)
o	Use new inits on ide_floppy add a reinit	(Andre Hedrick)
o	Add amd74xx ide driver				(Andre Hedrick)
o	Tidy up ide disk init/reinit. Add feature	(Andre Hedrick)
	register clear
o	Additional ide updates				(Andre Hedrick)

2.4.5-ac10
o	Fix xircom cardbus filter setup			(Ion Badulescu)
o	Dave Jones has moved				(Dave Jones)
o	Further Configure.help cleanup			(Eric Raymond)
o	Switch usb serial driver locking		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Update IRDA Irnet protocol code			(Jean Tourrilhes)
o	Update ide-tape and osst drivers		(Willem Riede)
o	Add ethtool support to ne2k-pci			(Jeff Garzik)
o	Misc small network driver tweaks/cleanup	(Jeff Garzik)
o	Module description strings for net drivers	(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix thread/unload race in reiserfs		(Nikita Danilov)
o	Fix a race in reiserfs_writepage		(Chris Mason)
o	Add prolific 2203 USB serial support		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Update isdn maintainers				(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Add another USS720 device entry			(Steve Tell)
o	Reap dead swap cache pages			(Marcelo Tosatti)
o	Fix USB sign handling error			(Jochen Pernsteiner)
o	Update input driver docs			(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix locking bug in hysdn			(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Fix hid parsing bug with feature reports	(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix ataraid config.in bug			(Jim Wright)

2.4.5-ac9
o	Fix gameport link problems			(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix an oops in the sg driver			(Tachino Nobuhiro)
o	Fix brlock indexing bug				(Takanori Kawano)
o	Add parport_pc_unregister_port			(Tim Waugh)
o	Configure.help updates				(Eric Raymond)
o	Fix xircom_cb problems with some cisco kit	(Ion Badulescu)
o	Fix tdfxfb cursor rendering bug			(Franz Melchior)
o	Add driver for the sony vaio i/o controller	(Stelian Pop,
				Junchi Morita, Takaya Kinjo, Andrew Tridgell)
o	Orinoco updates for symbol, intel, 3com cards	(Jean Tourrihles)
o	Use list_del_init in uhci driver		(Herbert Xu)
o	Fix a uhci SMP deadlock				(Herbert Xu)
o	Allow faster freeing of reisefs metadata	(Chris Mason)
o	Fix error path leaks in reiserfs		(Chris Mason,
							 Vladimir Saveliev)
o	Fix NFS problems triggered by 2.4.5 mmap change	(Trond Myklebust)
o	Resynchronize with m68k tree			(Jes Sorensen)
o	Add es1371 sound driver locking			(Frank Davis)
o	Fix a small error in the trident locking	(Frank Davis)

2.4.5-ac8
o	Fix sign handling bug in random sysctl		(me)
	| From Stanford tools
o	Add more idents to the NS558 driver		(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix oops on some HID descriptor sets		(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix reuse bug in UML net code + clean up	(Jeff Dike)
o	ES1370 driver locking				(Frank Davis)
o	Update init/main.c patch for umask		(Andrew Tridgell)
o	Fix uml fault race, and looping fault on 	(Jeff Dike)
	protection error
o	Update devices.txt				(H Peter Anvin)
o	Update the airo driver (fix pci pm oops.	(Jeff Garzik)
	spinlock abuse, delete after kfree, unchecked
	copies)
o	Remove old UML umn driver			(Jeff Dike)
o	Fix resource leaks and printk levels in isapnp	(Mike Borrelli)
o	Add new procfs programming documentation	(Erik Mouw)
o	Fix usb xconfig breakage		(Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Replace accidentaly lost UP_APIC help		(Mikael Pettersson)
o	Olypmic driver update				(Mike Phillips)
o	Clean up LVM spelling, debug macros		(Andreas Dilger)
o	Make various bits of LVM static			(Andreas Dilger)
o	Make lvm_snapshot_use_rate its own function	(Andreas Dilger)
o	Make lvm_do_lv_create loop the right amount
o	Fix lvm stamping on a semaphore causing an oops
o	Fix lvm hardware block size handling		(Andrea Arcangeli)

2.4.5-ac7
o	UML cleanups					(Jeff Dike)
o	Trap invalid addresses in UML ethernet driver	(Jeff Dike)
o	Reimplment UML user space access		(Jeff Dike)
o	Add device node support to hostfs		(Jorgen Cederlof)
o	Fix hang if the UML net helper fails to run	(Jeff Dike)
o	Support setting time in UML kernels		(Livio Baldini Soares)
o	Move more non portable code out of UML core	(Jeff Dike)
o	Merge most of remaining UML ppc changes		(Chris Emerson)
o	Printk cleanups, remove one non portable	(James Stevenson)
o	Add speaker mixer support to the cmpci mixer	(Carlos Gorges)
o	Fix inittdata ordering in i2c docs	     (Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Add usb skeleton driver				(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Fix ns558 unload 				(Marcus Meissner)
o	Further cs46xx fixing				(Frank Davies)
o	S/390 updates from the IBM folks		(Martin Schwidefsky)
o	CS46xx pop/crackle fixes on IBM T20		(Thomas Woller)
o	Make USB require PCI				(me)
o	Tulip driver update				(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix slip/slhc missing symbols problem		(Michael Guntsche)
o	IRDA updates					(Dag Brattli)
o	Add cs4232 isapnp probing			(Marcus Meissner)
o	Merge airo_cs driver		(Benjamin Reed, Javier Achirica,
							Jean Tourrilhes)
o	VIA workarounds for APIC IRQ routing		(Jeff Garzik)
o	Fix bootmem.c comment cut&paste accident	(Richard Urena)
o	Update LVM with new VG_CREATE ioctl (and 	(Joe Thornber)
	VG_CREATE_OLD for back compatibility)
o	Fix pv_t/lv_t confusion in lv_status_bydev_req	(Joe Thornber)
o	Lots of update/fixes for _lv_status_by* code	(Joe Thornber)
o	Add support for I2O IOP's requiring private	(me)
	resource spaces
o	Hopefully fix hid jerkiness			(Michael)

2.4.5-ac6
o	Fix the cs46xx right this time			(me)
o	Further FATfs cleanup				(OGAWA Hirofumi)
o	ISDN PPP code cleanup, cvs tag update		(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Large amount of UFS file system cleanup		(Al Viro)
o	Fix endianness problems in FATfs		(Petr Vandrovec)
o	Fix -ac quota crashes				(Jan Kara)
o	Fix bluetooth out of memory handling		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Fix freevxfs readdir				(Christoph Hellwig)
o	Fix freevxfs sign/unsigned issues		(Christoph Hellwig)
o	Fix doctypos, other freevxfs cleanup		(Christoph Hellwig)
o	Fix flush_dirty_buffers warning			(J A Magallon)
o	Add Carlos Gorges to credits			(Carlos Gorges)
o	Further atm cleanup fixes (kmalloc/signedness)	(Mitchell Blank)
o	Fix hotplug variable in matroxfb		(Petr Vandrovec)
o	Fix ns558 crash					(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Revert to Pete Zaitcev's khub locking		(Pete Zaitcev)
	| It works for me, Johannes changes don't seem to
o	Fix usb Config.in breakage for input devices	(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Add another 3c509 ISAPnP id			(Marcus Meissner)
o	Fix oopses and null checks on iphase		(Mitchell Blank)
o	CS46xx update					(Thomas Woller)
o	Fix mmap cornercase				(Maciej Rozycki)
o	Tidy up aironet and saa9730 delay abuse	   (Andrzej Krzysztofowicz)
o	Force initial umask to be sane for broken	(Andrew Tridgell)
	init programs
o	Teach CML1 to strip out <file: > from the	(Eric Raymond)
	Configure.help
o	Resync with Eric's master Configure.help	(Eric Raymond)
o	Revert FIOQSIZE
o	Fix missing copy_*_user in cosa driver		(me)
	| From Stanford tools
o	Fix missing copy_*_user in eicon		(me)
	+ clean up ioctls a bit more
	| From Stanford tools
o	Fix use after free in lpbether			(me)
	| From Stanford tools
o	Fix missing return in rose_dev			(me)
	| From Stanford tools
o	Fix use after free in bpqether			(me)
	| From Stanford tools

2.4.5-ac5
o	Fix bug introduced in cs46xx/trident locking	(me)
o	Fix reiserfs unload/exit locking race		(Paul Mundt)
o	Miscellaneous small UML updates			(Jeff Dike)
o	Further FAT cleanups				(OGAWA Hirofumi)
o	Fix ext2fs oops following disk error		(Andreas Dilger)
o	Optimise segment reloads, syscall path		(Andi Kleen)
o	Clean up .byte abuse where asm is now known	(Brian Gerst)
	by required tools
o	Fix eepro100 on 64bit machine bitops bug	(Andrea Arcangeli)
o	Move the pagecache and pagemap_lru_lock to	(Andrea Arcangeli)
	different cache lines
o	Clean up .byte abuse where asm is now known	(Brian Gerst)
	by required tools
o	Fix user space dereference in bluetooth		(me)
	| From Stanford tools
o	Fix user space dereference in sbc60wdt		(me)
	| From Stanford tools
o	Fix user space dereference in mdc800		(me)
	| From Stanford tools
o	Fix a rather wrong memset in nubus.c		(Chris Peterson)
o	Remove fpu references from dmfe			(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Fix spelling of Portuguese			(Nerijus Baliunas)

2.4.5-ac4
o	APIC parsing updates				(Ingo Molnar)
o	Retry rather than losing I/O on an IDE DMA	(Jens Axboe)
	timeout.
o	Add missing locking to cs46xx			(Frank Davis)
o	Clean up sym53c416 and add PnP support		(me)
o	Tidy up changelog in apm.c			(Stephen Rothwell)
o	Update jffs2, remove abuse of kdev_t		(David Woodhouse)
o	Fix oops on unplugging bluetooth		(Greg Kroah-Hartmann)
o	Move stuff into bss on aironet4500		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix up alpha oops output			(George France)
o	Update SysKonnect PCI id list			(Mirko Lindner)
o	Update SysKonnect GigE driver			(Mirko Lindner)
o	Add ATM DS3/OC12 definitions to atmdev.h	(Mitchell Blank)
o	Clean up atm drivers, fixed up user space	(Mitchell Blank,
	access with irqs off, kmalloc and use after	 John Levon)
	free.
o	Update input device/joystick/gameport drivers	(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Update USB hid drivers				(Vojtech Pavlik)
o	Fix out of memory oops in hysdn			(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Belarussian should be Belarusian according to	(Nerijus Baliunas)
	the standards
o	Support booting off old 720K floppies		(Niels Jensen,
							 Chris Noe)

2.4.5-ac3
o	Ignore console writes from an IRQ handler	(me)
o	Make SIGBUS/SIGILL visible to UML debugger	(Jeff Dike)
o	Clean up UML syscalls add missing items		(Jeff Dike)
o	Clean up non portable UML code			(Jeff Dike)
o	Fix off by one and other oddments in hostfs	(Henrik Nordstrom)
o	Update UML to use CONFIG_SMP not __SMP__	(Jeff Dike)
o	Fix UML crash if console is typed at too early	(Jeff Dike)
o	Clean up UML host transports			(Lennert Buytenhek,
							 Jim Leu)
o	Resynchronize UML/ppc				(Chris Emerson)
o	Fix UML crash if it had an address space hole	(Jeff Dike)
	between text and data
o	Fix rd_ioctl crash with initrd			(Go Taniguchi)
o	Fix IRQ ack path on Alpha rawhide		(Richard Henderson)
o	Drop back to older 8139too driver from 2.4.3
	| Seems the new one causes lockups
o 	Experimental promise fastrak raid driver	(Arjan van de Ven)

2.4.5-ac2
o	Restore lock_kernel on umount			(Al Viro)
	| Should cure Reiserfs crash in 2.4.5
o	Fix additional scsi_ioctl leak			(John Martin)
o	Clean up scsi_ioctl error handling		(me)
o	Configure.help typo fixes			(Nerijus Baliunas)
o	Fix hgafb problems with logos			(Ferenc Bakonyi)
o	Fix lock problems in the rio driver		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Make new cmpci SMP safe				(Carlos E Gorges)
o	Fix missing restore flags in soundmodem		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Set max sectors in ps2esdi			(Paul Gortmaker)
o	Fix interrupt restore problems in mixcom	(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix alpha compile on dp264/generic		(Andrea Arcangeli)
o	Fix irda irport locking restores		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix failed kmalloc handling in hisax		(Kai Germaschewski)
o	Add missing memory barrier in qlogicisp		(?)
o	Fix missing restore_flags in eata_dma		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix procfs locking in irttp			(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Winbond updates					(Manfred Spraul)
o	Stop network eating PF_MEMALLOC ram		(Manfred Spraul)
o	Drop fs/buffer.c low mem flush changes		(me)
o	Drop changes to mm/highmem.c			(me)
	| I don't think the Linus one is quite right but its easier
	| for everyone to be working off one base
o	Revert GFP_FAIL and some other alloc bits	(me)
o	Hopefully fix initrd problem			(me)
o	Fix kmalloc check in ide-tape			(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix irda irtty locking				(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix missing irq restore in qla1280		(Rasmus Andersen)
o	Fix proc/pid/mem cross exec behaviour		(Arjan van de Ven)
o	Fix direct user space derefs in eicon		(me)
	| From Stanford checker
o	Fix direct user space derefs in ipddp		(me)
	| From Stanford checker
o	Fix direct user space derefs in ixj		(me)
	| From Stanford checker
o	Fix direct user space derefs in decnet		(me)
	| From Stanford checker

2.4.5-ac1
o	Merge Linus 2.4.5 tree

Summary of changes for Linux 2.4.5-ac versus Linus 2.4.5

o	Fix memory leak in wanrouter
o	Fix memory leak in wanmain
o	Use non atomic memory for linearising NFS buffers as they are
	done in task context
o	Fix dereference of freed memory in NetROM drivers
o	Fix writing to freed memory in ax25_ip
o	Support debugging of slab pools
o	NinjaSCSI pcmcia scsi driver
o	Raw HID device for USB peripheral buttons/controllers
o	Updated NTFS
o	RAMfs with resource limits
o	NMI watchdog available on uniprocessor x86
o	Update CMPCI drivers (not yet SMP safe)
o	Configurable max_map_count
o	Dynamic sysctl key registration
o	SE401 USB camera driver
o	Updated Zoran ZR3606x driver (replaces buz)
o	w9966 parallel port camera driver (partially merged with Linus)
o	Include headers in etags
o	Don't delete empty directories on make distclean
o	Fix halt/reboot handling on Alcor Alpha
o	IDE driver support for Etrax E100
o	IDE infrastructure support for IDE using non standard data transfers
o	Run ~/bin/installkernel if present
o	Support for out of order stores on x86 with this mode (IDT Winchip)
	- worth 20% performance on them
o	Configure level debugging menu
o	Make BUG() default to an oops only - saves 70K
o	Power management help for UP-APIC
o	Work around 440BX APIC hang (eg the ne2000 SMP hang)
o	Run time configurable APM behaviour (interrupts, psr etc)
o	Smarter DMI parser - handles multiple use of names
o	DMI layer has blacklist tables fixing Dell Inspiron 5000e crashes,
	PowerEdge reboot problems , and IBM laptop APM problems
o	PNPBios support
o	Fix atomicity of IRQ error count
o	Handle PCI/ISA boxes that don't list edge levels but have an ELCR
o	Don't erroneously mangle settings on all VIA bridges - cures the
	horrible performance problem in 2.4.5 vanilla with VIA
o	Fix bootmem corruption on x86 boot
o	Scan and retrieve multipliers for processors (not yet used to handle
	the SMP cases where we need to disable tsc use)
o	Support machine check on Athlon and Pentium
o	Fix SUS violation with signal stacks
o	Handle boxes where firmware resets the timer to 18Hz (this should
	now not show false positives)
o	Better OOPS formatting on x86
o	Fix nasty problems with interrupts being disabled for long periods
	in frame buffer drivers
o	PAE mode alignment assumption fixes
o	32bit UID clean quota
o	Fix quota deadlocks
o	Fix TLB shootdown races
o	Experimental merge of usermode Linux
o	Fix memory leaks and othe rproblems with the iphase driver
o	IBM AS/400 iSeries virtual drivers
o	DAC960 null pointer checks
o	CCISS driver leak fixes
o	MPT fusion drivers for scsi and networking
o	Handle out of memory allocating request queue entries and avoid oops
o	Free the initial ramdisk correctly
o	Small CD-ROM layer updates
o	AGP power management hooks
o	First basic applicom driver fixes
o	Fix copy_from_user with interrupts off in cyclades driver
o	Fix out of memory handling in DRM
o	Clean up dsp56K driver
o	Update generic serial driver with break support
o	Clean up h8 driver namespace
o	Fix keymap changing problems in console drivers
o	Fix locking in machzwd
o	Updated rio serial driver
o	A2232 driver
o	Fix serial driver mangling of some clone uarts
o	Handle xircom serial port setup delay bug
o	Updated sx driver for newer generic_serial
o	W83877F watchdog driver
o	ITE8172 IDE driver support
o	Q40/Q60 IDE support
o	Fix nodma handling bug in alim15x3
o	hpt366 DMA blacklist
o	IDE-CD updates
o	Updated IDE DMA blacklist
o	OOPS catch for sg reuse in IDE driver
o	Support formatting of IDE floppies
o	Support PIIX4U4 (851EM)
o	Enable second port on promise pseudo raid
o	Support nodma on pmac
o	Support more PCI irq sharing on IDE
o	IDE tape updates - DI-50 support,
o	Much updated VIA IDE support
o	video1394 updated to newer module API
o	Support write on the input event driver
o	Quieten mouse and keyboard input drivers
o	Fix compile problem with pc110pad
o	Fix memory leak in isdnppp
o	LVM updates
o	Fix plan b locking
o	Fix saa5249 locking
o	Fix stradis locking
o	Acenic driver updates
o	aironet4500 cleanups, probe tables
o	Ariadne updated to newer API
o	Don't limit mtu to 68+ in arlan drivers
o	Updated eepro100 driver
o	Fix potential crash on downing a bpqether port
o	Updated nsc-ircc driver
o	Updated toshoboe driver
o	Intel Panther LP486e ethernet driver
o	Remove erroneous check in eth_change_mtu
o	Alternative xircom_cb driver
o	Avoid ibm tr being rebuilt each make
o	Updated ibm token ring drivers
o	Add 'static' to bits of ppp code
o	Add pci probe table to roadrunner
o	Fix memory leak in sk_ge
o	sk_g16 updates
o	sk_mca updates
o	Add tools to generate starfire firmware
o	Synclink driver can be compiled in
o	Fix possible oops in lapbether
o	Fix memory leak in lanmedia driver
o	Fix SDLA_X25 warnings
o	Fix syncppp negotiation loop bug
o	GSC parallel port support
o	PCMCIA parallel port support
o	Support PnPBIOS probing for PC parallel ports
o	Fix leak in PCMCIA bulkmem driver
o	Fix leak in PCMCIA ds driver
o	Add more cards to the ti list for the yenta pcmcia
o	Updated 3ware scsi driver
o	NCR 53c700 and 53c700/66 driver core
o	Fix pci_enable/resource read order on buslogic
o	Updated NCR53c8xx driver
o	Updated SYM53c8xx driver
o	Fix NCR53c406 warnings
o	NCR dual MCA driver
o	AIC7xxx pci probe table for hotplug
o	Updated aic7xxx_old
o	Fix resource leaks in dec esp driver
o	Fix printk levels in dmx3191 driver
o	Allow per device max sector counts. (2.4 workaround until 2.5 does
	this in the block layer per device)
o	Support SCSI2/SCSI3 extended LUN numbering
o	Limit qlogicisp and qlogicpti to 64 sectors/write
o	Fix missing EFAULT return in scsi proc
o	Fix locking of scsi_unregister_host
o	Fix leaks in scsi_ioctl
o	Fix potential lost requests in scsi merges
o	Fix leak on write when scsi driver has no proc write op
o	Extend the scsi black/whitelist
o	Fix locking/eject/rescan on removable scsi disk media
o	Updated scsi generic driver
o	Updated scsi cdrom driver
o	Correct ac97 handling on sparc
o	Fix use after kfree in cs4281
o	Update ess solo to new PCI style and PM
o	Update maestro to new PCI style and PM
o	Add docking station support to maestro
o	Update sonicvies to new PCI api
o	Fix trident locking problems
o	Fix buzzing on ymfpci
o	Power management for ymfpci
o	Fix leak/missized copy on xjack driver
o	CDCEther driver
o	ACM driver with fixed CLOCAL
o	Updated USB audio drivers
o	Fix locking/reporting in USB device list
o	Allow dsbr100 to take a radio_nr option
o	HP5300 series USB scanner driver
o	Updated IBM cam driver
o	Fix USB inode locking
o	Driver for Kawasaki based USB ethernet
o	Small ov511 fixes
o	Updated USB storage drivers
o	Entries for Sony MSC-U01N memory stick, Fujifilm FinePix 1400Zoom,
	Casio QV Digial Camera
o	USB Ultracam driver
o	Fix derefence of freed memory in the USB code
o	Generic USB host->host drivers for anchorchip 2270, ipaq, netchip
	1080, and Prolific PL-2301/2
o	Updated ATI frame buffer drivers
o	Updated clgen and control frame buffer drivers
o	Updated cyber2000 driver
o	Documentation for fbcon driver
o	Additional modes for titanium powerbook (1152x768)
o	Updated matrxofb drivers
o	Support __setup in mdacon
o	Radeon console driver
o	Handle out of memory on sun3 fb
o	Updated tga/vesa fb
o	CMS file system (basic R/O)
o	JFFS journalling flash file system with compression
o	Updated AFFS file system
o	Threaded core dumps
o	Fix security holes in binfmt_misc
o	Allow flushing of low buffers only when we need bounce buffers
o	Use brelse in cramfs
o	Fix memory leaks in freevxfs
o	Updated isofs
o	Small lockd updates (experimental)
o	Fix nfs alignment funnies
o	Report correct SuS errors on some opens
o	Add generic_file_open to get 64bit stuff right
o	Locking on make_inode_number for procfs
o	Report shmem size in shared memory proc field
o	Fail lseek outside of allowed range for filesystem
o	Fix select race with fdset growth
o	Kernel message levels and handle oom on superblock/mount ops
o	Updated frame buffer logos
o	Prefetch support for AMD Athlon
o	Support out of order stores in spinlocks on x86
o	m68k bitop compile fixes
o	Add truncatepage op to address operations
o	shmem filesystem cleanups and updates
o	Fix off by one on real time pre-emption in scheduler
o	Use prefetches in scheduler and wakeups
o	Support GFP_FAIL to avoid highmem deadlocks

---
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Red Hat Kernel Hacker
& Linux 2.2 Maintainer                        Brainbench MVP for TCP/IP
http://www.linux.org.uk/diary                 http://www.brainbench.com

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-16 16:48 ` Tom Vier
From: Tom Vier @ 2001-06-16 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

mach_kbd_rate was changed to kbd_rate, but not defined.

vt.c: In function `vt_ioctl':
vt.c:504: `kbd_rate' undeclared (first use in this function)
vt.c:504: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
vt.c:504: for each function it appears in.)
vt.c:510: `kbd_rate' used prior to declaration
vt.c:510: warning: implicit declaration of function `kbd_rate'
make[3]: *** [vt.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_subdir_char] Error 2
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

--
Tom Vier <tmv5@home.com>
DSA Key id 0x27371A2C

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-17 18:11 ` Walter Hofmann
From: Walter Hofmann @ 2001-06-17 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

I had already two crashes with ac15. The system was still ping-able, but
login over the network didn't work anymore.

The first crash happened after I started xosview and noticed that the
system almost used up the swap (for no apparent reason). The second
crash happened shortly after I started fsck on a crypto-loop device.

This does not happen with ac14, even under heavy load.

I noticed a second problem: Sometimes the system hangs completely for
approximately ten seconds, but continues just fine after that. I have
seen this with ac14 and ac15, but not with ac12.

This is a mixed IDE/SCSI (Adaptec) system, 128MB RAM/256MB swap on a
Gigabyte 440LX mainboard with a Pentium II.

Walter

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-19  9:19   ` Walter Hofmann
From: Walter Hofmann @ 2001-06-19  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Walter Hofmann wrote:

> I had already two crashes with ac15. The system was still ping-able, but
> login over the network didn't work anymore.
>
> The first crash happened after I started xosview and noticed that the
> system almost used up the swap (for no apparent reason). The second
> crash happened shortly after I started fsck on a crypto-loop device.
>
> This does not happen with ac14, even under heavy load.

I had a hang with ac14 now, too.
It hung when I tried to close a browser window after reading the text in
it for quite some time. No swapping was going on.

Walter

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-19 21:23   ` Walter Hofmann
From: Walter Hofmann @ 2001-06-19 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Walter Hofmann wrote:

> I had already two crashes with ac15. The system was still ping-able, but
> login over the network didn't work anymore.
>
> The first crash happened after I started xosview and noticed that the
> system almost used up the swap (for no apparent reason). The second
> crash happened shortly after I started fsck on a crypto-loop device.
>
> This does not happen with ac14, even under heavy load.
>
> I noticed a second problem: Sometimes the system hangs completely for
> approximately ten seconds, but continues just fine after that. I have
> seen this with ac14 and ac15, but not with ac12.

FWIW, here is the vmstat output for the second (short) hang. Taken with
ac14, vmstat 1 was started (long) before the hang and interrupted about
five seconds after it. The machine has 128MB RAM and 256MB swap.

   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 1  1  0  77332   1584  15632  67740  44   0   448     0  496   932  84  15   1
 1  2  0  77456   1848  15944  66960   0   0   372   724  625  2296  62  20  18
 3  0  1  77456   1780  16208  67044  72   0   336    80  584  1695  20  20  61
 2  0  0  77404   1464  16672  66652   0   0   572     0  530  2649  26  19  55
 3  1  0  77344   1464  17000  66480 124   0   656     0  419   879  12  16  72
 0  3  0  77344   1468  17076  66388 184   0  1080     0  561   654   8   8  84
 0  5  0  77892   1464  17184  66892 176 128   800   396  415  1050  14  11  74
 0  5  0  77892   1600  17216  66868  16   0    68  1020  508   295   5   5  90
 0  3  0  77892   1464  17316  66784  56   0   372    68  464  1287  22  14  64
 2  3  0  77892   1464  17524  66828  76   0   440     0  398   987   8  12  79
 1  3  0  77892   1464  17780  66680  32   0   512     0  367  1061  10  10  79
 1  1  0  77880   1464  18020  66392 224   0   756     0  394  1579  43  12  44
 2  1  0  77784   2172  18324  64820  16   0   992     0  529  1745  37  19  44
 0  4  0  77936   1848  18428  65180 124   0   252   920  570   451  23   9  69
 0  2  0  77888   1680  18564  65656  84   0   744     0  532   721  21  12  67
 3  0  0  77876   1464  18700  65564   4   0  1176     0  487   804  26  16  58
 0  3  1  77496   1468  18712  65700 424 100  1296   384  401   532  70  10  20
 2  0  0  77920   1508  18804  65504  72 248   968   260  525   709  40   9  51
 2  2  0  77908   1728  18788  65388   0 120  1000   568  568   608  41   8  51
 0  4  0  77908   1620  18828  65548   0   0   172   356  545   420  22   8  69
 1  1  0  77904   1712  18472  65464  36   0  1600     0  485   621  52  15  33
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 2  1  0  78124   1528  18496  64940 116  20   884   288  545   604  54  16  30
 4  0  0  78124   1468  18548  64260   4   0   468     0  449   663  49   6  46
 3  0  0  77844   3416  18492  63932 100   0   304     0  431  1915  80  16   4
 1  2  0  77844   2892  18536  64204  60   0   284   820  583   917  64  13  23
 1  0  0  77844   2824  18544  64236   0   0    40    68  591   550  36   6  58
 3  0  0  77844   2604  18568  64372   0   0   120     0  455   474  64  13  23
 1  0  0  77844   2472  18572  64440   0   0    56     0  399   617  35   9  56
 1  0  0  77844   2456  18572  64460   0   0     0     0  515   721   8   6  87
 0  0  0  77844   2448  18572  64468   0   0     4     0  469   655   8   8  83
 1  0  0  77844   2384  18572  64528   0   0     0   428  538   641   7  10  83
 0  0  0  77844   2388  18572  64528   0   0     0     0  492   733   3   9  89
 0  0  0  77844   2368  18572  64548   0   0     0     0  520   804  11   7  82
 0  0  0  77844   2336  18572  64580   0   0     0     0  473   680   6   6  89
 1  0  0  77844   2276  18584  64608   0   0    12     0  490   966  30  13  56
 2  0  0  77844   2228  18584  64648   0   0     0   344  539   589  47   7  47
 3  0  0  77844   2228  18588  64692   0   0     4     0  381   455  29  11  60
 2  0  1  77844   2180  18588  64700   0   0     0     0  453   781  33   9  58
 1  0  0  77844   2160  18604  64708   0   0    16     0  390   852  18   5  77
 2  0  1  77844   1940  18616  64912 124   0   212     0  318   756  40   8  52
 3  0  0  77844   1680  18620  65180 240   0   244   576  492  1632  87  13   0
 2  0  1  77844   1528  18540  65540 584   0   592     0  352  2466  90  10   0
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 2  0  0  77844   1800  18516  65588  40   0    40     0  357   675  89  11   0
 3  5  2  77844   1464  18536  65916 1508  44  1660   264  435   852  37  16  47
 1  0  0  77844   1484  18532  65968 864   0   936     0  386   667  89   7   5
 1  0  1  77844   1464  18344  66220 1328   0  1416   280  416   519  54   5  41
 1  0  0  78856   1464  18236  67776 4276 104  4276   228  528   743  25  12  63
 2  0  1  78820   1540  18220  67748 588  24  1148    92  507  1816  72  11  16
 1  0  1  78820   1500  18216  67664   0   0     4     0  319   327  92   8   0
 1  0  0  78820   1484  18216  67684   0   0     0     0  391   308  94   6   0
 0  0  0  78812   1468  18196  67716 636   0   996   488  578  1106  12  13  75
 0  0  0  78808   1476  18196  67712   0   0     0     0  337   399  12  10  77
 0  0  0  78808   1724  18196  67736  16   0    16     0  368   517   6   8  87
 0  0  0  78808   1676  18220  67760   0   0    24     0  405   475   7   6  88
 1  0  0  78752   1680  18232  67832 132   0   192     0  412   457  10  11  78
 0  2  0  78752   1464  18244  67884  64   0    96   620  542  3293   8  27  66
 5  0  0  77888   1464  18252  68060 896   0  1516     0  519   611  39  13  48
 0  0  0  77000   2416  18276  67464 600   0  1516   280  592   764  19   8  73
 2  0  0  77000   2556  18296  67500   4   0    28   268  595  1789  37  10  52
 3  0  0  77000   1632  18320  67848 188   0   344   128  561   848  30  11  59
 2  2  1  77000   1464  18404  67688   0   0   228   412  542  2434  42  18  39
 1  0  0  77000   1464  18444  67324   8   0   152   224  386  1345  26  19  55
 2  4  2  77084   1524  18396  66904   0 1876   108  2220 2464 66079   1  98   1
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 0  1  0  77076   1608  18500  66452   0   0   456   200  493  1175  21  11  68
 1  0  0  77108   1464  18512  66124   0   0   688     0  286   509  10   6  85
 1  0  0  77292   1464  17740  66600   0 472  3580   580  463   872  43  16  41
 2  0  0  77424   1464  17568  66988  40 288  1604   508  539  1289  38  13  49
 2  0  1  77448   2520  15880  67100  88 164  3696   304  495  2258  60  21  19
 1  1  0  77516   1464  15500  68396 200   0  2516   204  573   583  24  12  64
 1  2  0  77608   1692  15268  68844 672   0  2252     0  543   572  14   9  77
 0  2  0  77944   1464  15080  69584 532   0  1568     0  488   492   5   5  91
 0  0  0  78444   1544  15032  70028 156   0   340     0  468   512  11   8  81
 0  0  0  78444   1524  15032  70048   0   0     0     0  445   452   4   5  91
 0  0  0  78444   1464  15028  70112  24   0    36   404  502   420   3  10  87
 0  0  0  78444   1464  15028  70096   0   0     0     0  439   487   2   6  92
 0  0  0  78444   1464  15032  70100   0   0     4     0  441   488   6   4  90

Walter

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-20 19:25     ` Adam Sampson
From: Adam Sampson @ 2001-06-20 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Walter Hofmann; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

Walter Hofmann <walter.hofmann@physik.stud.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> It hung when I tried to close a browser window after reading the
> text in it for quite some time. No swapping was going on.

I've just seen this as well (for the first time) with -ac15. I was
playing music with madplay at the time, and then did a "find . -type f
-print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644" on a large directory tree on a reiserfs
partition. A few seconds after I started the command, I got a hang
which lasted a few seconds, then another, then another just after the
find finished. It hasn't happened again since.

All I got in the kernel log was:
2001-06-20 20:15:52.260230500 warning: Sound: DMA (output) timed out -
IRQ/DRQ config error?
2001-06-20 20:16:07.472837500 warning: Sound: DMA (output) timed out -
IRQ/DRQ config error?
which makes sense, since the sound paused at the same time...

Memory stats at the moment (i.e. about five minutes after it happened,
with exactly the same stuff running):

(azz:~) free
Mem:        288240     286652       1588        196      30348     224860
-/+ buffers/cache:      31444     256796
Swap:      1048784      52176     996608
(azz:~) vmstat
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 1  0  0  52184   1588  30348 224876   0   2    53    62  153   400  68  10  22

.config available on request.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@gnu.org>                  <URL:http://azz.us-lot.org/>

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-20 19:56     ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2001-06-20 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Walter Hofmann; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Walter Hofmann wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Walter Hofmann wrote:
>
> > I had already two crashes with ac15. The system was still ping-able, but
> > login over the network didn't work anymore.
> >
> > The first crash happened after I started xosview and noticed that the
> > system almost used up the swap (for no apparent reason). The second
> > crash happened shortly after I started fsck on a crypto-loop device.
>
> FWIW, here is the vmstat output for the second (short) hang. Taken with
> ac14, vmstat 1 was started (long) before the hang and interrupted about
> five seconds after it. The machine has 128MB RAM and 256MB swap.

>    procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
>  r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
>  1  0  0  77000   1464  18444  67324   8   0   152   224  386  1345  26  19  55
>  2  4  2  77084   1524  18396  66904   0 1876   108  2220 2464 66079   1  98   1

Does the following patch help with this problem, or are
you both experiencing something unrelated to this particular
buglet ?

regards,

Rik
--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
   "we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

		http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/	http://distro.conectiva.com/

--- linux/mm/swapfile.c.~1~	Thu May  3 16:34:46 2001
+++ linux/mm/swapfile.c	Thu May  3 16:36:07 2001
@@ -67,8 +67,14 @@
 	}
 	/* No luck, so now go finegrined as usual. -Andrea */
 	for (offset = si->lowest_bit; offset <= si->highest_bit ; offset++) {
-		if (si->swap_map[offset])
+		if (si->swap_map[offset]) {
+			/* Any full pages we find we should avoid
+			 * looking at next time. */
+			if (offset == si->lowest_bit)
+				si->lowest_bit++;
 			continue;
+		}
+
 	got_page:
 		if (offset == si->lowest_bit)
 			si->lowest_bit++;
@@ -79,6 +85,7 @@
 		si->cluster_next = offset+1;
 		return offset;
 	}
+	si->highest_bit = 0;
 	return 0;
 }

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-21  4:35     ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2001-06-21  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Walter Hofmann; +Cc: Alan Cox, lkml

> [...]

>  0  0  0  77000   2416  18276  67464 600   0  1516   280  592   764  19   8  73
>  2  0  0  77000   2556  18296  67500   4   0    28   268  595  1789  37  10  52
>  3  0  0  77000   1632  18320  67848 188   0   344   128  561   848  30  11  59
>  2  2  1  77000   1464  18404  67688   0   0   228   412  542  2434  42  18  39
>  1  0  0  77000   1464  18444  67324   8   0   152   224  386  1345  26  19  55
>  2  4  2  77084   1524  18396  66904   0 1876   108  2220 2464 66079   198   1
							   *************
>    procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
>  r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
>  0  1  0  77076   1608  18500  66452   0   0   456   200  493  1175  21  11  68
>  1  0  0  77108   1464  18512  66124   0   0   688     0  286   509  10   6  85

Ok, I suspect that GFP_BUFFER allocations are fucking up here (they can't
block on IO, so they loop insanely).

Can you reproduce the problem with 2.4.6pre kernels ?

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-21  5:44         ` Marcelo Tosatti
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2001-06-21  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Galbraith; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > >  2  4  2  77084   1524  18396  66904   0 1876   108  2220 2464 66079   198   1
>                                                                    ^^^^^
> > Ok, I suspect that GFP_BUFFER allocations are fucking up here (they can't
> > block on IO, so they loop insanely).
>
> Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
> wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?

Actually the VM should limit the amount of data being queued for _all_
kind of allocations.

The problem is the lack of a mechanism which allows us to account the
approximated amount of queued IO by the VM. (except for swap pages)

You can see it this way: To get free memory we're "polling" instead of
waiting on the IO completion of pages.

> (which seems to me will only cause the allocation to be resubmitted,
> effectively changing nothing but adding overhead)

Yes.

> Does failing the allocation in fact accomplish more than what I'm
> (uhoh:) assuming?

No.

It sucks really badly.

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-21  6:56       ` Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2001-06-21  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> >  2  4  2  77084   1524  18396  66904   0 1876   108  2220 2464 66079   198   1
                                                                   ^^^^^
> Ok, I suspect that GFP_BUFFER allocations are fucking up here (they can't
> block on IO, so they loop insanely).

Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?
(which seems to me will only cause the allocation to be resubmitted,
effectively changing nothing but adding overhead)  Does failing the
allocation in fact accomplish more than what I'm (uhoh:) assuming?

	-Mike

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-21  8:10           ` Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2001-06-21  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> >                                                                    ^^^^^
> > > Ok, I suspect that GFP_BUFFER allocations are fucking up here (they can't
> > > block on IO, so they loop insanely).
> >
> > Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
> > wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?
>
> Actually the VM should limit the amount of data being queued for _all_
> kind of allocations.

Limiting the amount of data being queued for IO will make things less
ragged, but you can't limit the IO.. pages returning to service upon
completion is the only thing keeping you alive.  That's why I hate not
seeing my disk utterly saturated when things get hot and heavy.  The
only thing that I can see that's possible is to let tasks proceed in
an ordered fashion as pages return.. take a number and wait.  IMHO,
right now we try to maintain low latency way too long and end up with
the looping problem because of that.  We need a more controlled latency
roll-down to the full disk speed wall.  We hit it and go splat ;-)

> The problem is the lack of a mechanism which allows us to account the
> approximated amount of queued IO by the VM. (except for swap pages)

Ingo once mentioned an io thingy for vm, but I got kind of dizzy trying
to figure out exactly how I'd impliment, what with clustering and getting
information to seperate io threads and back ;-)

> You can see it this way: To get free memory we're "polling" instead of
> waiting on the IO completion of pages.
>
> > (which seems to me will only cause the allocation to be resubmitted,
> > effectively changing nothing but adding overhead)
>
> Yes.

(not that overhead really matters once you are well and truely iobound)

	-Mike

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-21 13:14           ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-06-21 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti, Mike Galbraith; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thursday 21 June 2001 07:44, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > > Ok, I suspect that GFP_BUFFER allocations are fucking up here (they
> > > can't block on IO, so they loop insanely).
> >
> > Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
> > wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?
>
> Actually the VM should limit the amount of data being queued for _all_
> kind of allocations.
>
> The problem is the lack of a mechanism which allows us to account the
> approximated amount of queued IO by the VM. (except for swap pages)

Coincidence - that's what I started working on two days ago, and I'm moving
into the second generation design today.  Look at 'queued_sectors'.  I found
pretty quickly it's not enough, today I'm adding 'submitted_sectors' to the
soup.  This will allow me to distinguish between traffic generated by my own
thread and other traffic.

> > Does failing the allocation in fact accomplish more than what I'm
> > (uhoh:) assuming?
>
> No.
>
> It sucks really badly.

Amen.

--
Daniel

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-21 15:22       ` Walter Hofmann
From: Walter Hofmann @ 2001-06-21 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik van Riel; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > FWIW, here is the vmstat output for the second (short) hang. Taken with
> > ac14, vmstat 1 was started (long) before the hang and interrupted about
> > five seconds after it. The machine has 128MB RAM and 256MB swap.
>
> >    procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
> >  r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
> >  1  0  0  77000   1464  18444  67324   8   0   152   224  386  1345  26  19  55
> >  2  4  2  77084   1524  18396  66904   0 1876   108  2220 2464 66079   1  98   1
>
> Does the following patch help with this problem, or are
> you both experiencing something unrelated to this particular
> buglet ?

Hi Rik,

I tried 2.4.6-pre5 with your patch (quoted at the end).
Oberservations: I still see this hang, it seemed to last longer than
with ac14/ac15 (say, 30 seconds).
There was no heavy swapping going on, eiter before or after the hang.
During the hang there was no disc activity.

Compared with 2.4.5ac I saw that 2.4.6-pre5 uses much less swap
(according to xosview). With the load I tried (many open browser
windows) the ac series used to use 80-100MB of swap; 2.4.6-pre5 only
used 40MB swap for roughly the same number of windows open.

I forgot to press SysRq-T to get a trace, I'm afraid. kdb didn't compile
with this kernel either (although patching worked).

I had vmstat running in another window and stopped it a couple of
seconds after the hang, here are the last line of its output:

   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 2  0  0  36424   3232    888  45036   0   0     4     0  255  3250  56  13  32
 1  0  0  36424   3096    888  45048   0   0    12     0  140  1010  37   6  58
 4  0  0  36424   2964    888  45060   0   0    12     0  228  1304  90   6   4
 3  0  0  36424   3052    900  44668   0   0    88     0  259  2522  88  12   0
 2  0  0  36424   3164    900  44524   0   0     4     0  144  3556  87  13   0
 3  0  0  36424   2812    900  44468   0   0     8     0  211  2007  87  11   3
 5  0  0  36424   2812    912  44108   0   0    20     0  196  1243  92   8   0
 4  0  0  36424   2812    920  43836   0   0   108     0  271  2928  88  12   0
 4  0  0  36424   2808    920  42728   0   0   228     0  284  2042  85  11   5
 2  0  0  36424   3112    924  42416  76 5004   288  5260  385   948  84  11   6
 4  0  0  36424   2816    940  42016   0   0   100     0  223  1252  94   3   3
 3  0  0  36424   2812    944  41472   0   0     0     0  229  1392  92   8   0
 3  0  0  36424   2812    948  41112   0   0    68     0  264  1107  95   3   2
 1  0  0  36424   2932    948  40756   0   0     0     0  262   879  92   8   0
 2  0  0  36424   2808    952  40740   0   0     0     0  191  2244  36  12  53
 4  0  0  36424   2808    952  40504  32   0    32     0  242   975  93   6   2
 2  0  0  36424   3252    956  40008   0   0    64     0  249  2505  85  15   0
 3  0  0  36424   2972    956  39996   0   0     8     0  127  1419  88  10   2
 3  0  0  36424   2988    956  39108   0   0    20     0  247  1632  83  17   0
 2  0  0  36424   3332    964  38496   0   0   176     0  218   955  91   9   0
 3  0  0  36424   3180    964  38724 120   0   232     0  112  3026  89  11   0
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 4  0  0  36424   3020    968  38800  64   0    64     0  158  2008  87  13   1
 3  0  0  36424   2808    936  38192   0   0   192   552  232   678  90   6   4
 2  0  0  36424   2988    936  37632   0   0     0     4  167   678  98   2   0
 2  0  0  36424   2868    940  37592   0   0     4   104  177  1137  93   7   0
 3  0  0  36396   2852    940  37592   0   0     0    20  185  1125  93   7   0
 4  0  0  36396   2848    984  37624   0   0    60    64  193  1245  92   8   0
 5  0  0  36396   2244   1000  37656   0   0    28   176  161  2377  69  31   0
 1  0  0  36396   2364   1004  37660   0   0     8   244  180  1836  75  25   0
 1  0  1  36396   2484   1004  37780 100   0   104   248  178  2369  61  38   1
 4  0  1  36384   2020   1012  38328 520   0   560   148  185  1696  58  19  22
 6  0  0  45940   1744   1012  47676 108 724   368   868 6886 186930   1  99   0
 2  0  1  45856   2528   1028  46480 272 5480   752  5524  264  2413  82  18   0
 5  0  0  46072   2732   1028  45740   0 6636     8  6636  297  1165  84  16   0
 4  0  0  46072   2532   1028  45776   0   0    20     4  245  3310  88  13   0
 3  0  0  46072   2392   1040  45336   0   0    24     0  119  1296  91   9   0
 2  0  0  46072   2832   1052  44872   0   0    48     4  113  1276  91   9   0
 3  0  0  46072   2392   1056  44544   0   0     0     0  104   943  97   3   0
 2  0  0  46068   2808   1056  44112 1104   0  1164     0  144   870  70  11  19
 1  0  0  46052   2812   1060  44044 216   0   252     0  118  3325  20   6  74
 0  1  0  45964   3000   1104  43216 676   0  1576     0  198  1365   2   8  90
 1  0  0  45964   2976   1212  42948   0   0   332     0  187  1319  10   8  83
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 1  0  0  45964   2928   1212  42948   0   0     0     0  113  1251   6   3  92
 1  0  0  45964   2924   1212  42948   0   0     0     0  112  1217   2   6  92

Walter

> --- linux/mm/swapfile.c.~1~	Thu May  3 16:34:46 2001
> +++ linux/mm/swapfile.c	Thu May  3 16:36:07 2001
> @@ -67,8 +67,14 @@
>  	}
>  	/* No luck, so now go finegrined as usual. -Andrea */
>  	for (offset = si->lowest_bit; offset <= si->highest_bit ; offset++) {
> -		if (si->swap_map[offset])
> +		if (si->swap_map[offset]) {
> +			/* Any full pages we find we should avoid
> +			 * looking at next time. */
> +			if (offset == si->lowest_bit)
> +				si->lowest_bit++;
>  			continue;
> +		}
> +
>  	got_page:
>  		if (offset == si->lowest_bit)
>  			si->lowest_bit++;
> @@ -79,6 +85,7 @@
>  		si->cluster_next = offset+1;
>  		return offset;
>  	}
> +	si->highest_bit = 0;
>  	return 0;
>  }

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-21 19:50             ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2001-06-21 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Phillips; +Cc: Mike Galbraith, linux-kernel

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> On Thursday 21 June 2001 07:44, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > >
> > > Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
> > > wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?
> >
> > Actually the VM should limit the amount of data being queued for _all_
> > kind of allocations.
> >
> > The problem is the lack of a mechanism which allows us to account the
> > approximated amount of queued IO by the VM. (except for swap pages)
>
> Coincidence - that's what I started working on two days ago, and I'm moving
> into the second generation design today.  Look at 'queued_sectors'.  I found
> pretty quickly it's not enough, today I'm adding 'submitted_sectors' to the
> soup.  This will allow me to distinguish between traffic generated by my own
> thread and other traffic.

Could you expand on this, please ?

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-22  0:32               ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-06-22  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: Mike Galbraith, linux-kernel

On Thursday 21 June 2001 21:50, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> > > Actually the VM should limit the amount of data being queued for _all_
> > > kind of allocations.
> > >
> > > The problem is the lack of a mechanism which allows us to account the
> > > approximated amount of queued IO by the VM. (except for swap pages)
> >
> > Coincidence - that's what I started working on two days ago, and I'm
> > moving into the second generation design today.  Look at
> > 'queued_sectors'.  I found pretty quickly it's not enough, today I'm
> > adding 'submitted_sectors' to the soup.  This will allow me to
> > distinguish between traffic generated by my own thread and other traffic.
>
> Could you expand on this, please ?

OK, I am doing opportunistic flushing, so I want to know that nobody else is
using the disk, and so long as that's true, I'll keep flushing out buffers.
Conversely, if anybody else queues a request I'll bail out of the flush loop
as soon as I've flushed the absolute minimum number of buffers, i.e., the
ones that were dirtied more than bdflush_params->age_buffer ago.  But how do
I know if somebody else is submitting requests?  The surest way to know is to
have a sumitted_sectors counter that just counts every submission, and
compare that to the number of sectors I know I've submitted.  (This counter
wraps, so I actually track the difference from value on entering the flush
loop).

The first thing I found (duh) is that nobody else ever submits anything while
I'm in the flush loop because I'm on UP and I never (almost never) yield the
CPU.  On SMP I will get other threads submitting, but only rarely will the
submission happen while I'm in the flush loop.  No good, I'm not detecting
the other disk activity reliably, back to the drawing board.

My original plan was to compute a running average of submission rates and use
that to control my opportunistic flushing.  I departed from that because I
seemed to get good results with a much simpler strategy, the patch I already
posted.  It's fundamentally flawed though - it works fine for constant light
load and constant full load, but not for sporadic loads.  What I need is
something a lot smoother, more analog, so I'll return to my original plan.

What I want to notice is that the IO submission rate has fallen below a
certain level then, when the IO backlog has also fallen below a few ms worth
of transfers I can do the opportunistic flushing.  In the flush loop I want
to submit enough buffers to make sure I'm using the full bandwidth, but not
so many that I create a big backlog that gets in the way of a surge in demand
from some other source.  I'm still working out the details of that, I will
not post an updated patch today after all ;-)

By the way, there's a really important throughput benefit for doing this
early flushing that I didn't put in the list when I first wrote about it.
It's this: whenever we have a bunch of buffers dirtied, if the disk bandwidth
is available we want to load up the disk right away, not 5 seconds from now.
If we wait 5 seconds, we just wasted 5 seconds of disk bandwidth.  Again,
duh.  So my goal in doing this was initially do have it cost as little in
throughput as possible - I see now that it's actually a win for throughput.
End of discussion about whether to put in the effort or not.

--
Daniel

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-22  9:06           ` Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2001-06-22  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> >                                                                    ^^^^^
> > > Ok, I suspect that GFP_BUFFER allocations are fucking up here (they can't
> > > block on IO, so they loop insanely).
> >
> > Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
> > wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?
> > Does failing the allocation in fact accomplish more than what I'm
> > (uhoh:) assuming?
>
> No.

hmm..

Jun 18 07:11:36 kernel: reclaim_page: salvaged ref:1 age:0 buf:0 cnt:1
Jun 18 07:11:36 last message repeated 27 times

One thing that _could_ be done about looping allocations is to steal
a page from the clean list ignoring PageReferenced (if you have any).
That would be a very expensive 'rob Peter to pay Paul' trade though.

	-Mike

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-22  9:57             ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2001-06-22  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Galbraith; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > >                                                                    ^^^^^
> > >
> > > Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
> > > wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?
> > > Does failing the allocation in fact accomplish more than what I'm
> > > (uhoh:) assuming?
> >
> > No.
>
> hmm..
>
> Jun 18 07:11:36 kernel: reclaim_page: salvaged ref:1 age:0 buf:0 cnt:1
> Jun 18 07:11:36 last message repeated 27 times
>
> One thing that _could_ be done about looping allocations is to steal
> a page from the clean list ignoring PageReferenced (if you have any).
> That would be a very expensive 'rob Peter to pay Paul' trade though.

Don't like it.

This goes against the aging logic.

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15
@ 2001-06-22 11:50               ` Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2001-06-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> > One thing that _could_ be done about looping allocations is to steal
> > a page from the clean list ignoring PageReferenced (if you have any).
> > That would be a very expensive 'rob Peter to pay Paul' trade though.
>
> Don't like it.

(I like it only slightly better than using cpu to heat air;)

Oh well.  Someone will think up the right answer eventually.

	-Mike

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15 / 2.4.6-pre5
@ 2001-06-22 14:08         ` Walter Hofmann
From: Walter Hofmann @ 2001-06-22 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Galbraith; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, linux-kernel, Rik van Riel, Alan Cox

Mike Galbraith schrieb am Donnerstag, den 21. Juni 2001:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> > >  2  4  2  77084   1524  18396  66904   0 1876   108  2220 2464 66079   198   1
>                                                                    ^^^^^
> > Ok, I suspect that GFP_BUFFER allocations are fucking up here (they can't
> > block on IO, so they loop insanely).
>
> Why doesn't the VM hang the syncing of queued IO on these guys via
> wait_event or such instead of trying to just let the allocation fail?
> (which seems to me will only cause the allocation to be resubmitted,
> effectively changing nothing but adding overhead)  Does failing the
> allocation in fact accomplish more than what I'm (uhoh:) assuming?

Ok, I managed to press SysRq-T this time ond got a trace for my hang.
Symbols are resolved by klog. If you prefer ksymopps please tell me, I
used klog because ksymopps seems to drop all lines without symbols.

There seem to be no kernel deamons in the trace? Is this normal, or is
the log buffer too small? If it is the latter, how can I increase its
size?

Kernel was 2.4.6pre5 plus Rik's patch (at the end). I see the same hangs
with the ac series.

Walter

Jun 22 15:42:09 frodo kernel: 2672  1021      1  1035  (NOTLB)    1050  1004
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: mysqld    S 7FFFFFFF     0  1035   1021  1055  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: smbd      S 7FFFFFFF     0  1050      1        (NOTLB)    1051  1021
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: sshd      S 7FFFFFFF     0  1051      1        (NOTLB)    1060  1050
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: mysqld    R 00000000  5644  1055   1035  1056  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [pipe_poll+38/100] [do_pollfd+94/176] [do_poll+167/228]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel:        [sys_poll+603/884] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: mysqld    S C5C8A000  5704  1056   1055        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_rt_sigsuspend+255/284] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: wwwoffled  S C5F7BF10  2672  1060      1  4417  (NOTLB)    1064  1051
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: cron      S C5F5DF7C     0  1064      1        (NOTLB)    1068  1060
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [sys_nanosleep+304/428] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: in.identd  S 7FFFFFFF     0  1068      1  1070  (NOTLB)    1083  1064
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [wait_for_connect+308/420] [tcp_accept+134/408] [inet_accept+48/316] [sys_accept+102/244] [do_fork+1567/1756] [schedule+714/1064]
Jun 22 15:42:10 frodo kernel:        [restore_sigcontext+273/312] [sys_socketcall+172/476] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: in.identd  R 00000000  3444  1070   1068  1081  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [sys_poll+310/884] [handle_IRQ_event+49/92] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: in.identd  S C5B7A000    16  1071   1070        (NOTLB)    1076
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_rt_sigsuspend+255/284] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: in.identd  S C7806000     0  1076   1070        (NOTLB)    1077  1071
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_rt_sigsuspend+255/284] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: in.identd  S C7FBC000     0  1077   1070        (NOTLB)    1078  1076
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_rt_sigsuspend+255/284] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: in.identd  S C7FB8000  2676  1078   1070        (NOTLB)    1081  1077
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_rt_sigsuspend+255/284] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: in.identd  S C6964000     0  1081   1070        (NOTLB)          1078
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_rt_sigsuspend+255/284] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: nscd      S C739BF14     0  1083      1  1085  (NOTLB)    1098  1068
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_poll+55/228] [sys_poll+603/884] [sys_newstat+103/116] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: nscd      R 00000000     0  1085   1083  1096  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [pipe_poll+38/100] [do_pollfd+94/176] [do_poll+167/228]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel:        [sys_poll+603/884] [handle_IRQ_event+49/92] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: nscd      S C5B91F14  5744  1089   1085        (NOTLB)    1090
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_poll+55/228] [sys_poll+603/884] [sys_newstat+103/116] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: nscd      S 7FFFFFFF  2676  1090   1085        (NOTLB)    1092  1089
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_poll+167/228] [do_poll+55/228] [sys_poll+603/884] [filp_close+88/96] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: nscd      S 7FFFFFFF     0  1092   1085        (NOTLB)    1093  1090
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_poll+167/228] [do_poll+55/228] [sys_poll+603/884] [filp_close+88/96] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: nscd      S 7FFFFFFF     4  1093   1085        (NOTLB)    1096  1092
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_poll+167/228] [do_poll+55/228] [sys_poll+603/884] [filp_close+88/96] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: nscd      S 7FFFFFFF    28  1096   1085        (NOTLB)          1093
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_poll+167/228] [do_poll+55/228] [sys_poll+603/884] [filp_close+88/96] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: su        S 00000000  2672  1098      1  1103  (NOTLB)    1110  1083
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: lamequeue  S 00000000  2672  1103   1098  4355  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: junkbuster  S 7FFFFFFF     4  1110      1  4416  (NOTLB)     981  1098
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [wait_for_connect+308/420] [tcp_accept+134/408] [inet_accept+48/316] [sys_accept+102/244] [do_signal+554/628] [sys_socketcall+172/476]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel:        [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: kdeinit   R 00000000     0  1160      1        (NOTLB)    1198   981
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [sock_poll+35/40] [do_select+287/520] [sys_select+1071/1436]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel:        [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF     0  1198      1        (NOTLB)    1216  1160
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF     0  1216      1  4413  (NOTLB)     963  1198
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF     0  1218      1  1225  (NOTLB)    1487   963
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: httpd     S 7FFFFFFF    16  1219    965        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: cat       S 7FFFFFFF     0  1225   1218        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: knotify   S 7FFFFFFF     0  1487      1        (NOTLB)    1930  1218
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: korn      R 00000000     0  1608    398        (NOTLB)    1609
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [sock_poll+35/40] [do_select+287/520] [sys_select+1071/1436]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel:        [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: knetload  R 00000000  1648  1609    398        (NOTLB)    1614  1608
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [do_anonymous_page+52/140] [do_no_page+47/212] [handle_mm_fault+101/208] [do_page_fault+359/1228] [do_page_fault+0/1228]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel:        [vsprintf+897/956] [sprintf+20/24] [sprintf_stats+130/156] [error_code+52/60] [__generic_copy_to_user+48/64] [proc_file_read+337/456] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: ksmserver  S 7FFFFFFF     4  1614    398        (NOTLB)          1609
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:11 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF    80  1724   1216        (NOTLB)    1945
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: mingetty  S 7FFFFFFF     4  1930      1        (NOTLB)    1931  1487
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: mingetty  S 7FFFFFFF  2672  1931      1        (NOTLB)    1932  1930
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: mingetty  S 7FFFFFFF     0  1932      1        (NOTLB)    1933  1931
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: mingetty  S 7FFFFFFF  2672  1933      1        (NOTLB)    1934  1932
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: mingetty  S 7FFFFFFF     0  1934      1        (NOTLB)    1935  1933
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: mingetty  S 7FFFFFFF     0  1935      1        (NOTLB)    2146  1934
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   R 00000000  2676  1945   1216  3834  (NOTLB)    1946  1724
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [read_swap_cache_async+53/164] [swapin_readahead+147/204] [do_swap_page+37/380] [handle_mm_fault+119/208] [do_page_fault+359/1228]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [do_page_fault+0/1228] [schedule+714/1064] [error_code+52/60]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: python    S 00000000     0  1946   1216  1947  (NOTLB)    1952  1945
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: python    R 00000000  2704  1947   1946  2860  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [do_anonymous_page+52/140] [do_no_page+47/212] [handle_mm_fault+101/208] [do_page_fault+359/1228] [do_page_fault+0/1228]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [handle_IRQ_event+49/92] [end_8259A_irq+24/28] [do_IRQ+140/176] [error_code+52/60] [arp_find+204/336] [__generic_copy_to_user+48/64] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF  1920  1952   1216  1953  (NOTLB)    1969  1946
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: screen    S C4578000     0  1953   1952  1960  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_pause+18/24] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: screen    S 7FFFFFFF     0  1960   1953  2986  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: bash      S 00000000     0  1961   1960  3353  (NOTLB)    2986
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF   624  1969   1216  1970  (NOTLB)    2887  1952
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: screen    S C4380000   240  1970   1969  1977  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_pause+18/24] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: screen    S 7FFFFFFF     0  1977   1970  1978  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: bash      S 7FFFFFFF     0  1978   1977        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [read_chan+932/1704] [tty_read+176/212] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: loop0     S C3288104  2604  2146      1        (L-TLB)    2971  1935
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__down_interruptible+129/208] [__down_failed_interruptible+7/12] [do_readv_writev+304/596] [kernel_thread+35/48]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: python    S 00000000     0  2859   1947  2861  (NOTLB)    2860
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: python    S 00000000     0  2860   1947  2862  (NOTLB)          2859
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: su        S 00000000     0  2861   2859  2864  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: fetchnews  R 00000000     0  2862   2860        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [generic_file_write+925/1484] [sys_write+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: fetchmail  S 00000000     0  2864   2861  4418  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF    24  2887   1216  2892  (NOTLB)    2969  1969
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: screen    S C367E000     0  2892   2887  2899  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_pause+18/24] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: screen    S 7FFFFFFF    48  2899   2892  2918  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: bash      S 00000000  1920  2900   2899  2915  (NOTLB)    2918
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: vmstat    R 00000000     0  2915   2900        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [proc_info_read+57/296] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: bash      S 00000000     0  2918   2899  2931  (NOTLB)          2900
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: su        S 00000000     4  2931   2918  2932  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: bash      S 00000000     0  2932   2931  2940  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: less      S C18B3F7C     0  2940   2932        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [update_atime+68/72] [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [sys_nanosleep+304/428] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C7C95F10     0  2969   1216        (NOTLB)    3002  2887
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF     0  2971      1        (NOTLB)    2974  2146
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdesud    R 00000000     0  2974      1        (NOTLB)          2971
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [sock_poll+35/40] [do_select+287/520] [sys_select+1071/1436]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: bash      S 00000000     0  2986   1960  2994  (NOTLB)          1961
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: mutt      S C1D53F14  4800  2994   2986        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [normal_poll+259/288] [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_poll+55/228] [sys_poll+603/884] [sys_newstat+103/116] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C587DF10     8  3002   1216        (NOTLB)    3003  2969
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   R 00000000     0  3003   1216        (NOTLB)    3016  3002
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [tcp_poll+47/344] [__free_pages+26/28] [sock_poll+35/40]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [do_select+287/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C784BF10     0  3016   1216        (NOTLB)    3017  3003
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   R 00000000     0  3017   1216        (NOTLB)    3082  3016
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [sock_poll+35/40] [do_select+287/520] [sys_select+1071/1436]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C2401F10     0  3082   1216        (NOTLB)    3083  3017
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C6B41F10  1116  3083   1216        (NOTLB)    3127  3082
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C58A7F10     0  3127   1216        (NOTLB)    3132  3083
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C4F1DF10     0  3132   1216        (NOTLB)    3172  3127
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C1FD7F10     0  3172   1216        (NOTLB)    3200  3132
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF     0  3200   1216        (NOTLB)    3201  3172
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [sock_recvmsg+65/180] [sock_read+143/152] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S 7FFFFFFF     0  3201   1216        (NOTLB)    3337  3200
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [sock_recvmsg+65/180] [sock_read+143/152] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C280FF10     0  3337   1216        (NOTLB)    3338  3201
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C7CDBF10  3444  3338   1216        (NOTLB)    3621  3337
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: wget      S C0511F10  4708  3353   1961        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: junkbuster  S 7FFFFFFF     0  3354   1110        (NOTLB)    4334
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: wwwoffled  R 00000000     0  3355   1060        (NOTLB)    4335
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [tcp_poll+47/344] [sock_poll+35/40] [do_select+287/520]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C6C7BF10     0  3621   1216        (NOTLB)    3631  3338
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C2AE1F10     0  3631   1216        (NOTLB)    3644  3621
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: kdeinit   S C49D5F10     0  3644   1216        (NOTLB)    4413  3631
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: xosview.bin  R 00000000     0  3657    918        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [do_anonymous_page+52/140] [do_no_page+47/212] [handle_mm_fault+101/208] [do_page_fault+359/1228] [do_page_fault+0/1228]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [vsprintf+897/956] [vsprintf+897/956] [kstat_read_proc+703/716] [error_code+52/60] [__generic_copy_to_user+48/64] [proc_file_read+337/456] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: nspluginviewer  R 00000000     4  3834   1945        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [__pollwait+51/148] [sock_poll+35/40] [do_select+287/520] [sys_select+1071/1436]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: junkbuster  S 7FFFFFFF     0  4334   1110        (NOTLB)    4336  3354
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: wwwoffled  S C2619F10     0  4335   1060        (NOTLB)    4337  3355
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__pollwait+141/148] [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: junkbuster  S 7FFFFFFF     0  4336   1110        (NOTLB)    4410  4334
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: wwwoffled  S C260FF10     0  4337   1060        (NOTLB)    4415  4335
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: sleep     S C5965F7C     0  4355   1103        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+120/152] [process_timeout+0/76] [sys_nanosleep+304/428] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: junkbuster  S 7FFFFFFF     0  4410   1110        (NOTLB)    4416  4336
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: netscape  R 00000000     0  4413   1216        (NOTLB)          3644
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [read_cluster_nonblocking+152/256] [filemap_nopage+356/1024] [do_no_page+84/212] [handle_mm_fault+101/208] [do_page_fault+359/1228]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [do_page_fault+0/1228] [do_munmap+88/648] [ide_intr+307/344] [do_brk+170/340] [sys_brk+195/240] [error_code+52/60]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: wwwoffled  R 00000000  2672  4415   1060        (NOTLB)    4417  4337
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [do_generic_file_read+969/1268] [generic_file_read+99/128] [file_read_actor+0/88] [sys_read+142/196] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: junkbuster  S 7FFFFFFF  1172  4416   1110        (NOTLB)          4410
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [tcp_poll+47/344] [schedule_timeout+23/152] [do_select+153/520] [sys_select+1071/1436] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: wwwoffled  R 00000000  2676  4417   1060        (NOTLB)          4415
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [__get_free_pages+10/24] [kmem_cache_grow+198/560] [kmem_cache_alloc+73/88] [getname+26/156] [sys_rename+54/568]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel:        [path_release+13/44] [sys_newstat+103/116] [sys_close+67/84] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:12 frodo kernel: procmail  S 00000000    16  4418   2864  4422  (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:13 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [sys_wait4+875/924] [system_call+51/56]
Jun 22 15:42:13 frodo kernel: pgpenvelope_dec  R 00000000     0  4422   4418        (NOTLB)
Jun 22 15:42:13 frodo kernel: Call Trace: [__alloc_pages+272/656] [_alloc_pages+24/28] [do_anonymous_page+52/140] [do_no_page+47/212] [handle_mm_fault+101/208] [do_page_fault+359/1228] [do_page_fault+0/1228]
Jun 22 15:42:13 frodo kernel:        [do_munmap+88/648] [tqueue_bh+22/28] [do_brk+170/340] [sys_brk+195/240] [error_code+52/60]

 3  0  0  76644   3764   2272  45112   0   0     0     0  398   448  56   8  36
 2  0  0  76644   4404   2276  44668  60   0    68     0  379   453  66   8  27
 0  0  0  76644   4388   2276  44684   0   0     0     0  416   451   4   5  92
 0  0  0  76644   4364   2276  44700   0   0     0     0  394   501   4   6  91
 2  0  0  76644   4732   2276  44712   0   0     0    80  444  2189  28  13  58
 6  0  0  76080   5256   2280  44304 112   0   140     0  396   831  87  11   2
 8  0  0  76080   4400   2284  44324   0   0     8     0  396   481  43   6  52
 2  0  0  76080   4612   2200  44348   0   0     4     0  391   486  76  13  11
 0  0  0  76080   4592   2204  44364   0   0     4    80  385   411   4   7  89
 0  0  0  76080   4572   2204  44380   0   0     0     0  418   436   5   6  90
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 0  0  0  76080   4508   2204  44444  64   0    64     0  390   388   6   6  89
 2  0  0  76080   4720   2204  44444   0   0     0     0  471   462  25   7  68
 2  0  0  76080   4348   2204  44460   4   0     4     0  476   560  26  10  64
 4  0  0  76080   3756   2204  44468   0   0     0    20  545  1925  78  22   0
 0  0  0  76080   4424   2204  44532   0   0     4     0  500   720  63  11  26
 0  1  0  76080   3240   2256  45496 376   0  1004     0  540   664  13   5  82
 4  0  0  76080   2812   2248  45632 184   0   192     0  564   977  83  14   3
 7  0  0  76076   2808   2100  44532 500   0   656     0  538   780  89  11   0
 3  2  0  76068   4148   2120  44300 188   0   404  1024  697   761  53  12  34
 4  1  0  76068   2808   2196  45300 176   0  1784   256  619  1949  33  18  49
 7  2  1  76068   3116   2208  45588   0 284  1040   480  591  3665  75  25   0
 6  5  1  77232   2692   2136  47004 560 892  2048  1524 10428 285529   2  98   0
 2  9  1  77744   2688   2108  47468 580 408   964   812  506  2203  63  18  20
 2  2  1  82336   4052   2056  50560 380   0  1500   360  552   871  80  20   0
 3  2  1  82336   2808   2084  51644 280 1040  1376  1748  668  3213  35  21  44
 3  0  0  87184   2812   2108  55916 300 2012  1568  3360  860  1299  30  16  54
 4  0  0  87180   2812   2104  55544 128   0   420     0  415   786  82  10   9
 3  0  0  89528   2812   2104  57572   0   0     8     0  395   577  94   6   0
 2  0  0  92096   3080   1276  59616   0 1812  1120  2068  532   541  78   9  12
 1  1  1  93800   2916   1256  62152 796   0  2152     0  497   615  31  11  57
 4  1  0  95768   2808   1180  64800 1280   0  2776     0  508   522  59  12  29
   procs                      memory    swap          io     system         cpu
 r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache  si  so    bi    bo   in    cs  us  sy  id
 3  2  0  99512   2808   1220  68336 860   0  2072     0  493   548  76  21   3
 3  0  0 101980   2812   1248  70800   0   0   288     0  454   437  88  12   0
 8  4  0 101980   2812   1272  70264 400   0   540     0  439   505  92   8   0
 3  0  0 102596   2812   1300  71296 1192   0  1700     0  335   536  91   9   0
 6  0  0 102596   2812   1316  71248  68   0   440     0  306   571  93   7   0
 4  3  1 102668   2812   1364  71140  64   0   756   768  402   897  84  11   5

@ 2001-06-22 15:50           ` Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2001-06-22 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Walter Hofmann; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, linux-kernel, Rik van Riel, Alan Cox

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Walter Hofmann wrote:

> Ok, I managed to press SysRq-T this time ond got a trace for my hang.
> Symbols are resolved by klog. If you prefer ksymopps please tell me, I
> used klog because ksymopps seems to drop all lines without symbols.

Someone else might want that and/or a complete trace.  I can see enough
to say it looks an awful lot like a little gremlin that's been plagueing
me off and on for months. (off at the moment. if he moved into your box,
you can keep him.. I don't want him back:))

> There seem to be no kernel deamons in the trace? Is this normal, or is
> the log buffer too small? If it is the latter, how can I increase its
> size?

I don't think it matters much.  I strongly suspect we'd just see more
of the same.  Try commenting out the current->policy |= SCHED_YIELD in
__alloc_pages() just for grins (more or less).

>  6  5  1  77232   2692   2136  47004 560 892  2048  1524 10428 285529   2  98   0
                                                           ^^^^^
Was disk running?  (I bet not.. bet it stopped just after stall began)

	-Mike

* Re: Linux 2.4.5-ac15 / 2.4.6-pre5
@ 2001-06-22 17:27             ` Walter Hofmann
From: Walter Hofmann @ 2001-06-22 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Galbraith; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, linux-kernel, Rik van Riel, Alan Cox

Mike Galbraith schrieb am Freitag, den 22. Juni 2001:

> >  6  5  1  77232   2692   2136  47004 560 892  2048  1524 10428 285529   2  98   0
>                                                            ^^^^^
> Was disk running?  (I bet not.. bet it stopped just after stall began)

There was no disk activity during the stall.

Walter