* 2.4.9-ac10 scsi_scan broke with SPARSELUN devices(/proc/partitions loops)
@ 2001-09-17 20:28 Robert Macaulay
From: Robert Macaulay @ 2001-09-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On a clean 2.4.9ac10 kernel, with no SPARSELUN devices loaded,
/proc/partitions lists the devices as it should. The machine is a HIMEM64
box with 8GB of RAM, and a qlogic 2200 connected to the fibre channel
disks.

Once the qlogicfc driver is loaded with Dell PV650f(a SPARSELUN device),
the /proc/partitions lists the correct devices, but does so over and over.
For example, a /proc/partitions after the load, somewhat abbreviated

   8     0   17547264 sda
   8     1      56196 sda1
   8    16   17342660 sdb
   8    17     103408 sdb1
   8     0   17547264 sda
   8     1      56196 sda1
   8    16   17342660 sdb
   8    17     103408 sdb1
   .
   .
   .

The same results happen if we use qlogic's qla2x00 driver on this
kernel. The driver's messages in dmesg are correct, however the block
devices are still usable, but anything that grabs all devices(mount -a)
will cause it to spin forever.

Thanks
Robert Macaulay

* Re: 2.4.9-ac10 scsi_scan broke with SPARSELUN devices( /proc/partitions loops)
@ 2001-09-17 22:39 ` Robert Macaulay
From: Robert Macaulay @ 2001-09-17 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Reverting the the 2.4.9 sd.c also fixed my problem. Apparently it has
nothing to do with the SPARSELUN in scsi_scan.

Perhaps since my boot/root device aren't modules, my system wasn't
affected till I loaded a disk module.

Robert