* Where does 'vmlinuz' come from?
@ 2001-12-12 23:24 Pozsar Balazs
From: Pozsar Balazs @ 2001-12-12 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

This is not a bugreport, but a simple question: :)
where does the term vmlinuz come from?

have a nice day,
--
Balazs Pozsar

* Re: Where does 'vmlinuz' come from?
@ 2001-12-12 23:48 ` J Sloan
From: J Sloan @ 2001-12-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pozsar Balazs; +Cc: linux-kernel

Pozsar Balazs wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is not a bugreport, but a simple question: :)
> where does the term vmlinuz come from?

compressed vmlinux = vmlinux.z -> vmlinuz?

cu

jjs

* Re: Where does 'vmlinuz' come from?
@ 2001-12-13  0:03   ` Alon Altman
From: Alon Altman @ 2001-12-13  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J Sloan; +Cc: Pozsar Balazs, linux-kernel

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, J Sloan wrote:

> Pozsar Balazs wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is not a bugreport, but a simple question: :)
> > where does the term vmlinuz come from?
>
> compressed vmlinux = vmlinux.z -> vmlinuz?

  Yes, but I think he wanted to know where 'vmlinux' came from... what does
the "vm" stand for? Virtual Memory?

  Alon

--
This message was sent by Alon Altman (Psycho99@bigfoot.com) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)

* Re: Where does 'vmlinuz' come from?
@ 2001-12-13  1:47     ` Doug McNaught
From: Doug McNaught @ 2001-12-13  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alon Altman; +Cc: J Sloan, Pozsar Balazs, linux-kernel

Alon Altman <alon@vipe.technion.ac.il> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, J Sloan wrote:
>
> > Pozsar Balazs wrote:
> >
> > > This is not a bugreport, but a simple question: :)
> > > where does the term vmlinuz come from?
> >
> > compressed vmlinux = vmlinux.z -> vmlinuz?
>
>   Yes, but I think he wanted to know where 'vmlinux' came from... what does
> the "vm" stand for? Virtual Memory?

Yes.  The kernel binary on ancient AT&T versions was called 'unix'.
When Berkeley wrote a new kernel with virtual memory, they called it
'vmunix'.  So naturally the Linux kernel is 'vmlinux' and the
compressed version is 'vmlinuz' as above.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

* Re: Where does 'vmlinuz' come from?
@ 2001-12-13 10:39     ` Peter Wächtler
From: Peter Wächtler @ 2001-12-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alon Altman; +Cc: J Sloan, Pozsar Balazs, linux-kernel

Alon Altman schrieb:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, J Sloan wrote:
>
> > Pozsar Balazs wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > This is not a bugreport, but a simple question: :)
> > > where does the term vmlinuz come from?
> >
> > compressed vmlinux = vmlinux.z -> vmlinuz?
>
>   Yes, but I think he wanted to know where 'vmlinux' came from... what does
> the "vm" stand for? Virtual Memory?

Well, I would guess: VM in this context: virtual machine

* Re: Where does 'vmlinuz' come from?
@ 2001-12-13 11:21   ` Luigi Genoni
From: Luigi Genoni @ 2001-12-13 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J Sloan; +Cc: Pozsar Balazs, linux-kernel

On old Unix systems the kernel was named VMUNIZ, and so the first linux
systems used vmlinuz, and that came into tradition

@ 2001-12-13 14:40 Jesse Pollard
From: Jesse Pollard @ 2001-12-13 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pozsy, linux-kernel

J Sloan <jjs@lexus.com>
> Hi all,
>
> This is not a bugreport, but a simple question: :)
> where does the term vmlinuz come from?

It is partly historical:

Original boot on PDP-11, the kernel was kept in the file /unix (date was mid
to late 1970s)

When virtual memory was added it was changed to /vmunix (early 80s I think)
to distinguish the difference on those systems that could do both (Mid 80s
I had a Motorola 68020 that still used /unix since the VM hadn't been finished
yet).

Then on to Linux, which added compression. Since the name UNIX (in all it's
forms) was copyrighted and couldn't be used to name the system the OS became
linux, and, following the progression, vmlinux hence - with compressed files
having a Z or gz extension - vmlinuz

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil