From: Tim Schmielau <tim@physik3.uni-rostock.de>
To: Ravi Kumar Munnangi <munnangi_ivar@yahoo.com>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: kernel panic:I have no root I want to scream
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:56:48 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

> make xconfig
>   During the configuration I havn't made any changes to
>    the default configuration.I have just saved the
>    default configuration and exited.

You should have, unless you have exactly the same configuration as Linus
Torvalds has.
Probably drivers for accessing the root filesystem are missing, but you
also need to configure a whole heap of other things as well.

The Kernel Howto at
  http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Kernel-HOWTO/
makes a good reading.