* Re: 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23  1:14 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2002-09-23  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco Post, linux-kernel

>after some tiny fixes to reiserfs and the makefile for prep bootfile
>(using ../lib/lib.a vs. ../lib/libz.a) I managed to succesfully compile
>a kernel. It even boots to the point where it frees unused kernel memory
>and then stops... this includes succesfully mounting the root
>filesystem...
>
>Just to let the world know what does and doesn't work on my powerstack
>mobo.

Might be related to the mprotect bug signaled by Paul Mackerras
earlier on this list. Try using the linuxppc-2.5 bk tree

Ben.

* Re: 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23  1:41     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2002-09-23  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco Post; +Cc: linux-kernel

>very well possible. If Linus keeps up the pace on kernel releases I'll
>just d/l 2.5.39 tomorrow and try again ;)

Well, I don't know if a fix went in yet, Paulus did a quick hack but
didn't submit a real patch as we are waiting from someone knowing
sys_mprotect() better to show up

Ben.

* Re: 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23  2:00         ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2002-09-23  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco Post; +Cc: linux-kernel

>I saw Paulus' post a few days ago. I'm fully aware that 2.5 is not ready
>for anything serious yet on ppc, I just became curious to know if I
>could get it to compile and run. I'll just keep on trying and posting
>small patches that I need to compile things. I don't have the time to do
>any real hacking, but a small patch now and then is doable ;-)

Well, if you plan to post PPC related patches, please do so on
the linuxppc-dev list (or CC it at least) so we can know what you
are doing. We do maintain a linuxppc-2.5 bk tree which is regulary
merged with Linux but contains our up-to-date fixes for PPC.
It compiles and runs most of the time (thanks Paulus for maintaining
it)

Ben.

* 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23 12:03 Remco Post
From: Remco Post @ 2002-09-23 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

* Re: 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23 13:01   ` Remco Post
From: Remco Post @ 2002-09-23 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: linux-kernel

On maandag, september 23, 2002, at 03:14 , Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Might be related to the mprotect bug signaled by Paul Mackerras
> earlier on this list. Try using the linuxppc-2.5 bk tree
>
> Ben.

Hi,

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP keys at http://home.sara.nl/~remco/keys.asc

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams

* Re: 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23 13:27       ` Remco Post
From: Remco Post @ 2002-09-23 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2002-09-23 14:29 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2002-09-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco Post; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:03:02PM +0200, Remco Post wrote:

> after some tiny fixes to reiserfs and the makefile for prep bootfile
> (using ../lib/lib.a vs. ../lib/libz.a) I managed to succesfully compile
> a kernel. It even boots to the point where it frees unused kernel memory
> and then stops... this includes succesfully mounting the root
> filesystem...

What typo exactly?  The only 'lib' in the Makefile
(arch/ppc/boot/prep/Makefile) is:
LIBS = ../lib/zlib.a

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

* Re: 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23 14:39   ` Remco Post
From: Remco Post @ 2002-09-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: linux-kernel

On maandag, september 23, 2002, at 04:29 , Tom Rini wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:03:02PM +0200, Remco Post wrote:
>
>> after some tiny fixes to reiserfs and the makefile for prep bootfile
>> (using ../lib/lib.a vs. ../lib/libz.a) I managed to succesfully compile
>> a kernel. It even boots to the point where it frees unused kernel
>> memory
>> and then stops... this includes succesfully mounting the root
>> filesystem...
>
> What typo exactly?  The only 'lib' in the Makefile
> (arch/ppc/boot/prep/Makefile) is:
> LIBS = ../lib/zlib.a

That one exactly... I don't recall calling it a typo, though ;-) I guess
that is more a relic from when the only lib routines were libz ones and
we called the lib to be linked libz.a....

There is a simular entry in arch/ppc/boot/openfirmware/Makefile...
removing the z helped over there as well (don't recall exactly, I'm at
work now... ) (not that I dare booting Linus's 2.5 tree on my build
machine, it's falling apart even with stable software....  ;-(

@ 2002-09-23 14:55     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2002-09-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco Post; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 04:39:49PM +0200, Remco Post wrote:

> On maandag, september 23, 2002, at 04:29 , Tom Rini wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:03:02PM +0200, Remco Post wrote:
> >
> >>after some tiny fixes to reiserfs and the makefile for prep bootfile
> >>(using ../lib/lib.a vs. ../lib/libz.a) I managed to succesfully compile
> >>a kernel. It even boots to the point where it frees unused kernel
> >>memory
> >>and then stops... this includes succesfully mounting the root
> >>filesystem...
> >
> >What typo exactly?  The only 'lib' in the Makefile
> >(arch/ppc/boot/prep/Makefile) is:
> >LIBS = ../lib/zlib.a
>
> That one exactly... I don't recall calling it a typo, though ;-) I guess
> that is more a relic from when the only lib routines were libz ones and
> we called the lib to be linked libz.a....

It's not a relic, it's design.  We don't want the kernel's zlib routines
right now, we want our own.  Did it not link the way it was?  It's been
a few releases since I last compiled for my PReP box, but it was well
after the zlib changes had gone in.

> There is a simular entry in arch/ppc/boot/openfirmware/Makefile...
> removing the z helped over there as well (don't recall exactly, I'm at
> work now... ) (not that I dare booting Linus's 2.5 tree on my build
> machine, it's falling apart even with stable software....  ;-(

Again, we don't want the 'normal' zlib there either.  Was it not
linking?  If so, what was the error?

--

@ 2002-09-23 15:10     ` Kai Germaschewski
From: Kai Germaschewski @ 2002-09-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco Post; +Cc: Tom Rini, linux-kernel

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Remco Post wrote:

> > What typo exactly?  The only 'lib' in the Makefile
> > (arch/ppc/boot/prep/Makefile) is:
> > LIBS = ../lib/zlib.a
> >

> That one exactly... I don't recall calling it a typo, though ;-) I guess
> that is more a relic from when the only lib routines were libz ones and
> we called the lib to be linked libz.a....

That's my bad, I renamed the L_TARGET but obviously missed some references
to it. I'll include a fix in my next update.

--Kai

* Re: 2.5.38 on ppc/prep
@ 2002-09-23 15:17       ` Remco Post
From: Remco Post @ 2002-09-23 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rini; +Cc: linux-kernel

On maandag, september 23, 2002, at 04:55 , Tom Rini wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 04:39:49PM +0200, Remco Post wrote:

>>> What typo exactly?  The only 'lib' in the Makefile
>>> (arch/ppc/boot/prep/Makefile) is:
>>> LIBS = ../lib/zlib.a
>>
>> That one exactly... I don't recall calling it a typo, though ;-) I
>> guess
>> that is more a relic from when the only lib routines were libz ones and
>> we called the lib to be linked libz.a....
>
> It's not a relic, it's design.  We don't want the kernel's zlib routines
> right now, we want our own.  Did it not link the way it was?  It's been
> a few releases since I last compiled for my PReP box, but it was well
> after the zlib changes had gone in.
>
>> There is a simular entry in arch/ppc/boot/openfirmware/Makefile...
>> removing the z helped over there as well (don't recall exactly, I'm at
>> work now... ) (not that I dare booting Linus's 2.5 tree on my build
>> machine, it's falling apart even with stable software....  ;-(
>
> Again, we don't want the 'normal' zlib there either.  Was it not
> linking?  If so, what was the error?

no rule to make target ../lib/libz.a needed for target
../images/zImage.prep (and simulair for openfirmware...), or something
like that (I have to this from what I remember) I found a file
../lib/lib.a, so I assumed it was renamed, not updating the makefile for
the prep and openfirmware image

This is a linking error in the final stage of the build.... I think
2.5.33 als build ok, after a few patches. Booted as far a to tell me
there was an attempt to kill pid 0 and the do its 180 sec. countdown...