* Linux 2.4.20-pre8
@ 2002-09-25 23:33 Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2002-09-25 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml

So here goes -pre8.

Summary of changes from v2.4.20-pre7 to v2.4.20-pre8

<adam@nmt.edu>:
  o 3ware driver update for 2.4.20-pre7 (resend)

<defouwj@purdue.edu>:
  o net/ipv4/ip_options.c: IPOPT_END padding needs to increment optptr

<info@usblcd.de>:
  o USBLCD updates

<kafai0928@yahoo.com>:
  o Use SET_MODULE_OWNER in eepro100 net driver instead of MOD_{INC,DEC}_USE_COUNT, eliminating a small race

<marcelo@freak.distro.conectiva>:
  o Cset exclude: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk|ChangeSet|20020924233624|33060
  o Changed EXTRAVERSION to -pre8

<ralf@dea.linux-mips.net>:
  o Remove the FBIO_SED1356_BITBLT ioctl which had a dangerous security hole.  That result in an empty s1356fb_ioctl, so nuke the entire ioctl-related code.

<rgs@linalco.com>:
  o Track link state via netif_carrier_xxx, in gmac net driver

<scottm@somanetworks.com>:
  o Small pcihpfs dnotify fix

<silicon@falcon.sch.bme.hu>:
  o comx-hw-munich WAN driver "performance fix": remove hideous udelay

<taka@valinux.co.jp>:
  o arch/i386/lib/checksum.S:csum_partial Handle oddly addressed buffers correctly

<wes@infosink.com>:
  o mwave fixes

<zubarev@us.ibm.com>:
  o IBM PCI Hotplug driver update
  o IBM PCI Hotplug driver update for ISA based devices
  o IBM PCI Hotplug driver update for PCI based controllers

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>:
  o Fix xconfig screwup caused by MIPS merge

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
  o ; unlimited kmalloc in i2c fix (Silvio Cesare)
  o Add missing watchdog checks
  o wrong sizes in amdtp (Silvio Cesare)
  o fix oops in hisax
  o fix mga hang
  o security - missing checks in video4linux (Silvio Cesare)
  o gmac fixups (Roberto Gordo Saez)
  o S390 misc fixes
  o remove escaped user space diagnostic code
  o tighten modem probe/naming for ac97 (me)
  o forte audio updates
  o Kaweth - align packets for non x86 (Oliver Neukum)
  o replace end user confusing "on fire" joke with real info
  o fix include in freecom.c (Andre Hedrick)
  o Security - vicam (Silvio Cesare)
  o big endian support for voodoo2 frame buffer
  o Warn if mounting an ext3fs as ext2
  o Add additional MSRs to definitions (Dominik Brodowski,
  o fix vmalloc corner case (Dave Miller)
  o quoting fix in unbz64wrap (me)
  o Changes updates (Niels Jensen)
  o doc pointer for khttpd
  o update maestro3 docs to match maestro3 code
  o Fix PCI gameport handling (me)
  o sign fix for i2c (Silvio Cesare)
  o Make trident use new pcigame interfaces (me)
  o add modem bits define for x86

Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>:
  o ACPI fixes for x86-64
  o AGP for 8151/x86-64
  o x86-64 core changes to sync with x86-64.org
  o Minor change for x86-64 NUMA
  o x86-64 panic blink
  o Fix x86-64 fbcon
  o Fix some x86-64 bugs

Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au>:
  o Fix "multiple definition of 'smc_init'" error in smc-ircc irda driver, by declaring smc_init static.

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>:
  o IEEE-1394 updates

Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@redhat.com>:
  o ns83820.c v0.20 -- a brown paper bag edition
  o ns83820 v0.20 fixup

charles.white@hp.com <Charles.White@hp.com>:
  o Add cpqarray/cciss entries to root_dev_names

Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@kleikamp.austin.ibm.com>:
  o JFS: cleanup -- Remove excessive typedefs
  o JFS: Avoid parallel allocations within the same allocation group
  o JFS: Slightly relax allocation group reservation
  o JFS: Put legacy OS/2 extended attributes in "os2." namespace
  o JFS: Fix compiler errors in xattr.c
  o JFS: Fix off-by-one error in dbNextAG

David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>:
  o usbnet sync w/2.5: new devs, ethtool, etc

David S. Miller <davem@nuts.ninka.net>:
  o [TIGON3]: Do not reference vlgrp unless TG3_VLAN_TAG_USED is set
  o [TIGON3]: Fix slight perf regression from TSO changes
  o [VLAN] Use unregister_netdevice to prevent rtnl double-lock
  o [TIGON3]: New way to flush posted writes of GRC_MISC_CFG
  o [NAPI]: Do not check netif_running() in netif_rx_schedule_prep
  o [NAPI]: Set SCHED before dev->open, clear if fails.  Restore netif_running check to netif_rx_schedule_prep
  o [TIGON3]: Comment out tg3_enable_ints PCI write flush for now
  o [TIGON3]: Use spin_lock_irqsave in tg3_interrupt, fixes SMP hang
  o arch/sparc64/defconfig: Update
  o [TIGON3]: Add 5704 support
  o [TIGON3]: GRC_MISC_CFG_BOARD_ID_5704CIOBE is wrong
  o [TIGON3]: Fiber WOL support, chip clock bug fix
  o [TIGON3]: Static initializer changes from 2.5.x driver
  o [TIGON3]: Fix some comment tabbing
  o [TIGON3]: Fix some extraneous trailing whitespace
  o include/linux/spinlock.h: Fix compiler version check
  o [TIGON3]: Fix link polarity setting on all non-5700 chips
  o [TIGON3]: Optimize NAPI irq masking a bit
  o [TIGON3]: Define NIC_SRAM_MBUF_POOL_SIZE64 properly
  o drivers/char/drm/drmP.h: Disable DRM_DEBUG
  o arch/sparc64/defconfig: Update
  o [SPARC64]: Trap kernel bogus program counter at fault time
  o [DRM]: Set DRM_DEBUG_CODE back to 2, comment out page_to_bus reference
  o [DRM]: Comment out another page_to_bus reference

David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>:
  o Fix a couple compiler warnings in e100 net driver

Greg Kroah-Hartman <greg@kroah.com>:
  o export pci_scan_bus, as the IBM pci hotplug driver needs it
  o IBM PCI Hotplug driver: sync up with the 2.5 version (__init and formatting fixes)
  o USB: fix timeout value for ezusb firmware download function
  o USB: document struct usb_driver and add module owner field
  o PCI Hotplug: added max bus speed and current bus speed files to the pci hotplug core
  o PCI Hotplug: added speed status to the IBM driver
  o PCI Hotplug: added speed status to the Compaq driver
  o add export for __inode_dir_notify so dnotify can be used from filesystems in a modules
  o PCI Hotplug Core: Add allocation sanity checks.  Patch from Silvio Cesare
  o PCI Hotplug: created /proc/bus/pci/slots for pcihpfs to be mounted on
  o USB: fix oopses in hub.c.  Thanks to Alan Stern for pointing them out

Hugh Dickins <hugh@veritas.com>:
  o tmpfs 1/5 shmem_rename fixes
  o tmpfs 2/5 shmem_symlink like 2.5/ac
  o tmpfs 3/5 pretend dirent size
  o tmpfs 4/5 three trivia
  o tmpfs 5/5 closer to 2.5/ac

Ivan Kokshaysky <ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru>:
  o alpha, arm, parisc: PCI setup update

Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>:
  o Sync up with 2.5: Doku/formatting updates for my srm_env.c

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>:
  o Add support for netif_carrier_xxx reporting to 3c59x net driver (based on a patch by Nelson Tan Gin Hwa, via Andrew Morton)
  o Merge up to version 1.04 of sundance net driver
  o Add support for Cirrus Logic GD7548 to clgenfb fbdev driver (contributed by gabucino@mplayerhq.hu)
  o Fix merge error in 3c59x netif_carrier_xxx change
  o merge most of the hppa support into tulip net driver
  o Fixes for little-used paths and obscure races, in 8139cp net driver (contributed by matthias@waechter.wiz.at)
  o Update list of airo wireless commands, and two RIDs, from linux-wlan-ng sources and online sources
  o sundance net driver fixes, and a few cleanups too
  o clean up previous sundance net driver fixes
  o sundance net driver modernization
  o Update eepro100 net driver hardware resume to Becker eepro100.c version
  o further sundance net driver fixes
  o Improve RX buffer size calculation, in sundance net driver (suggested by Donald Becker)
  o Kill more e100 net driver compile warnings

Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>:
  o Avoid innapropriate oversized scsi_malloc() calls
  o back out merge_only logic
  o ide-cd sense clearing

Jes Sorensen <jes@wildopensource.com>:
  o acenic net driver update

Marc Boucher <marc@mbsi.ca>:
  o Fix VAIO WXP01Z3 blacklist entry

Marcelo Tosatti <marcelo@plucky.distro.conectiva>:
  o Fix error handling of pci_request_regions

matt_domsch@dell.com <Matt_Domsch@dell.com>:
  o Move include/asm-ia64/efi.h to include/linux/efi.h
  o Merge IA64 port copy of include/linux/efi.h

Oliver Neukum <oliver@neukum.name>:
  o hpusbscsi disconnect fix

Roger Luethi <rl@hellgate.ch>:
  o Remove ancient ETHER_STATS statistics code from several net drivers, code that has not been compile-enabled nor compileable in ages.

Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk>:
  o This patch fixes a bug in handling the timeout in pcnet_cs.c, where it uses the following test to determine whether the timeout has expired:

Tom Rini <trini@kernel.crashing.org>:
  o PPC-specific 3c509 net driver update
  o Add a PCI ID for the Motorola MPC107
  o PPC32: Fix booting on MPC8xx and MPC8260 machines

Urban Widmark <urban@teststation.com>:
  o smbfs gcc warning fix

* Re: Linux 2.4.20-pre8
@ 2002-09-26  7:43 ` Axel H. Siebenwirth
From: Axel H. Siebenwirth @ 2002-09-26  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: lkml

Hi Marcelo,

it would be very nice if you could, as Linus does, give a short rough
outline about what has changed in the released kernel version.
Just major and important changes because not everyone wants to read
through all of it. Even in official kernel series many people would
probably like to see such a short outline.

Best regards,
Axel Siebenwirth

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

>So here goes -pre8.
>

>Summary of changes from v2.4.20-pre7 to v2.4.20-pre8
>
><adam@nmt.edu>:
>  o 3ware driver update for 2.4.20-pre7 (resend)
>
><defouwj@purdue.edu>:
>  o net/ipv4/ip_options.c: IPOPT_END padding needs to increment optptr
>
><info@usblcd.de>:
>  o USBLCD updates
>
><kafai0928@yahoo.com>:
>  o Use SET_MODULE_OWNER in eepro100 net driver instead of MOD_{INC,DEC}_USE_COUNT, eliminating a small race

* RE: Linux 2.4.20-pre8
@ 2002-09-26  9:52   ` Christer Nilsson
From: Christer Nilsson @ 2002-09-26  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel

I agree. That way you can see what's really going on with the development,
filtering out cosmetic and small bug fixes. Without being involved in every
subsystem it's hard to imagine what all the changes do.

Christer

@ 2002-09-28  2:25   ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2002-09-28  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel H. Siebenwirth; +Cc: lkml

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Axel H. Siebenwirth wrote:

> Hi Marcelo,
>
> it would be very nice if you could, as Linus does, give a short rough
> outline about what has changed in the released kernel version.
> Just major and important changes because not everyone wants to read
> through all of it. Even in official kernel series many people would
> probably like to see such a short outline.

Indeed I should stop being lazy on that. Will remind myself next time I
release a kernel.

Thanks for your positive feedback.