* 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-22 20:19 Dave Mehler
From: Dave Mehler @ 2003-04-22 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,
    Ok, i've got a 2.5.68 kernel compilation that when i try to boot it it
hangs the system. It gives me hex codes after it loads the kernel or if i
have it load an initrd, it loads that then gives hex codes and stops.
    I've got output from lspci -v and my config file at the following url:
www.davemehler.net
    Suggestions are desperately needed.
If there's missing information that i should post please let me know and i
will post it.
Thanks.
Dave.

* Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-22 20:55 ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-04-22 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Mehler; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 22 April 2003 22:19, Dave Mehler wrote:
>     Ok, i've got a 2.5.68 kernel compilation that when i try to boot it it
> hangs the system. It gives me hex codes after it loads the kernel or if i
> have it load an initrd, it loads that then gives hex codes and stops.
>     I've got output from lspci -v and my config file at the following url:
> www.davemehler.net
>     Suggestions are desperately needed.
> If there's missing information that i should post please let me know and i
> will post it.

please post all messages (The "hex-codes").
You may need to read
Documentation/serial-console.txt
Documentation/oops-tracing.txt
if you don't know how to catch them.

--
Regards Michael Buesch.
http://www.8ung.at/tuxsoft

$ cat /dev/zero > /dev/null
/dev/null: That's *not* funny! :(

* Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-22 21:00 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-04-22 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Mehler; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Dave Mehler wrote:

> Hello,
>     Ok, i've got a 2.5.68 kernel compilation that when i try to boot it it
> hangs the system. It gives me hex codes after it loads the kernel or if i
> have it load an initrd, it loads that then gives hex codes and stops.
>     I've got output from lspci -v and my config file at the following url:
> www.davemehler.net
>     Suggestions are desperately needed.
> If there's missing information that i should post please let me know and i
> will post it.
> Thanks.
> Dave.

First, I don't understand how as you say, "suggestions are
desperately needed" on a developmental kernel. These things are
not known to work on all configurations and some information like
"It gives me hex codes..." is worthless. Please write down
these "hex-codes" and, after booting a version the works, run them
through ksymoops. If you don't know what that is:

The latest version can be found in
ftp://ftp.<country>.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/ksymoops together
with patches to other utilities in order to give more accurate Oops
debugging.

FYI, after you run the text through ksymoops, you may find that it
occurs in a module that you really don't need to load at boot time.
Just remove that from initrd and try again.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

* Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-22 23:11   ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-04-22 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: root; +Cc: Dave Mehler, LKML

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 23:00, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> First, I don't understand how as you say, "suggestions are
> desperately needed" on a developmental kernel. These things are
> not known to work on all configurations and some information like
> "It gives me hex codes..." is worthless. Please write down
> these "hex-codes" and, after booting a version the works, run them
> through ksymoops. If you don't know what that is:

ksymoops? I thought 2.5 kernels didn't need ksymoops anymore and that
function names were automatically "guessed" in call stack traces.

Linux Registered User #287198

* Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-23  1:29     ` Murray J. Root
From: Murray J. Root @ 2003-04-23  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 01:11:46AM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 23:00, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > First, I don't understand how as you say, "suggestions are
> > desperately needed" on a developmental kernel. These things are
> > not known to work on all configurations and some information like
> > "It gives me hex codes..." is worthless. Please write down
> > these "hex-codes" and, after booting a version the works, run them
> > through ksymoops. If you don't know what that is:
>
> ksymoops? I thought 2.5 kernels didn't need ksymoops anymore and that
> function names were automatically "guessed" in call stack traces.

IFF you use "include symbols" when building you shouldn't need ksymoops.
IMO, if you're using 2.5.x you really should include the symbols - chances
are you'll need em.

--
Murray J. Root

* Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-23  1:55       ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-04-23  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Murray J. Root; +Cc: LKML

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 01:11:46AM +0200, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>> On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 23:00, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>> > First, I don't understand how as you say, "suggestions are
>> > desperately needed" on a developmental kernel. These things are
>> > not known to work on all configurations and some information like
>> > "It gives me hex codes..." is worthless. Please write down
>> > these "hex-codes" and, after booting a version the works, run them
>> > through ksymoops. If you don't know what that is:
>>
>> ksymoops? I thought 2.5 kernels didn't need ksymoops anymore and that
>> function names were automatically "guessed" in call stack traces.
>>

> IFF you use "include symbols" when building you shouldn't need ksymoops.
> IMO, if you're using 2.5.x you really should include the symbols - chances
> are you'll need em.

Maybe we are reading this differently, but it sounded to me like the
original system hang never reached the kernel | system log and that
some hex codes were the only clues.  In that case, pushing them thru
ksymoops does still make some sense, doesn't it?
How else would you determine where the hang occurred?

~Randy

* Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-23  2:17           ` Brett
From: Brett @ 2003-04-23  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Murray J. Root wrote:

> > > IFF you use "include symbols" when building you shouldn't need ksymoops.
> > > IMO, if you're using 2.5.x you really should include the symbols - chances
> > > are you'll need em.
> >
> > Maybe we are reading this differently, but it sounded to me like the
> > original system hang never reached the kernel | system log and that
> > some hex codes were the only clues.  In that case, pushing them thru
> > ksymoops does still make some sense, doesn't it?
> > How else would you determine where the hang occurred?
> >
> I read it that he was getting an oops with just hex values cause
> he didn't have the symbols included (note the reference to "it
> just gives hex codes"). I could be wrong, since I'm only looking
> at the quote of a quote of someone's interpretation. :)
> With symbols included an oops DOES print the actual call trace in
> readable form. (I've seen enough oops to be certain of that :)

I agree with > >

I'd say he's getting the same thing as me
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105099066618652&w=2>

the 'hex codes' are the last line of grub loading the kernel

so where to from here ??

	/ Brett

* Re: 2.5 kernel hangs system
@ 2003-04-23  2:31         ` Murray J. Root