* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-22 23:36 Jean Tourrilhes
From: Jean Tourrilhes @ 2003-05-22 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stian Jordet wrote :

> Module irtty_sir cannot be unloaded due to unsafe usage in
> include/linux/module.h:456
>
> I get this message when trying to use irda with 2.5.x. I know it has
> been there for a long time, but since nothing happens

	This is fixed in the patches I've send to Jeff :
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105286597418927&w=2
	Just be patient ;-)

	I guess that if it's the only complain, this means that the
rest of the IrDA stack works for you in 2.5.X. At least, I'm not the
only one testing it...

	Jean

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23  1:10 ` Stian Jordet
From: Stian Jordet @ 2003-05-23  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

fre, 23.05.2003 kl. 01.36 skrev Jean Tourrilhes:
> Stian Jordet wrote :
> >
> > Module irtty_sir cannot be unloaded due to unsafe usage in
> > include/linux/module.h:456
> >
> > I get this message when trying to use irda with 2.5.x. I know it has
> > been there for a long time, but since nothing happens
>
> 	This is fixed in the patches I've send to Jeff :
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105286597418927&w=2
> 	Just be patient ;-)

Well, this got rid of the warning :) But actually when I stop irattach
(using Debian's init-script (/etc/init.d/irda stop)) my computer
freezes. This works (of course) fine with 2.4.21-rc2. I thought the
problem was the module unloading, but it seems to be something with
irattach instead. Sorry about that.

> 	I guess that if it's the only complain, this means that the
> rest of the IrDA stack works for you in 2.5.X. At least, I'm not the
> only one testing it...

It works, but I get lots of weird/ugly/different messages. This is with
a SonyEricsson P800. Except for those annoying messages in my logs, it
works perfect :-)

irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 9600
sirdev_open - done, speed = 0
sirdev_schedule_request - state=0x0700 / param=9600
sirdev_schedule_request - down
irda_config_fsm - up
irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 115200
sirdev_schedule_request - state=0x0700 / param=115200
[...]
Module ircomm_tty cannot be unloaded due to unsafe usage in
include/linux/module.h:456
ircomm_tty_attach_cable()
ircomm_tty_ias_register()
ircomm_tty_close()
ircomm_tty_close(), open count > 0
irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 115200
sirdev_schedule_request - state=0x0700 / param=115200
sirdev_schedule_request - down
irda_config_fsm - up
irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 9600
sirdev_schedule_request - state=0x0700 / param=9600
sirdev_schedule_request - down
irda_config_fsm - up
irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 115200
sirdev_schedule_request - state=0x0700 / param=115200
sirdev_schedule_request - down
irda_config_fsm - up
ircomm_param_xon_xoff(), XON/XOFF = 0x11,0x13
ircomm_param_enq_ack(), ENQ/ACK = 0x00,0x00
ircomm_tty_check_modem_status()

I see I have gotten a ircomm_tty can't be unloaded as well. Hmm. Well,
as I said, it works perfect, except for stopping irattach.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stian

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23  1:13   ` Jean Tourrilhes
From: Jean Tourrilhes @ 2003-05-23  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 03:10:00AM +0200, Stian Jordet wrote:
> fre, 23.05.2003 kl. 01.36 skrev Jean Tourrilhes:
> > Stian Jordet wrote :
> > >
> > > Module irtty_sir cannot be unloaded due to unsafe usage in
> > > include/linux/module.h:456
> > >
> > > I get this message when trying to use irda with 2.5.x. I know it has
> > > been there for a long time, but since nothing happens
> >
> > 	This is fixed in the patches I've send to Jeff :
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105286597418927&w=2
> > 	Just be patient ;-)
>
> Well, this got rid of the warning :) But actually when I stop irattach
> (using Debian's init-script (/etc/init.d/irda stop)) my computer
> freezes. This works (of course) fine with 2.4.21-rc2. I thought the
> problem was the module unloading, but it seems to be something with
> irattach instead. Sorry about that.

	Disable HotPlug in your kernel and recompile. Various network
people have been notified of this bug, but this is not an easy one.

> It works, but I get lots of weird/ugly/different messages. This is with
> a SonyEricsson P800. Except for those annoying messages in my logs, it
> works perfect :-)
>
> irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 9600
> sirdev_open - done, speed = 0
> sirdev_schedule_request - state=0x0700 / param=9600
> sirdev_schedule_request - down
> irda_config_fsm - up

	Yeah, Martin should increase the debug level.

> I see I have gotten a ircomm_tty can't be unloaded as well.

	This has been fixed in the latest BK.

> Hmm. Well,
> as I said, it works perfect, except for stopping irattach.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Stian

	Have fun...

	Jean

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23  1:44     ` Stian Jordet
From: Stian Jordet @ 2003-05-23  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

fre, 23.05.2003 kl. 03.13 skrev Jean Tourrilhes:
> On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 03:10:00AM +0200, Stian Jordet wrote:
> > fre, 23.05.2003 kl. 01.36 skrev Jean Tourrilhes:

> > > 	This is fixed in the patches I've send to Jeff :
> > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105286597418927&w=2
> > > 	Just be patient ;-)
> >
> > Well, this got rid of the warning :) But actually when I stop irattach
> > (using Debian's init-script (/etc/init.d/irda stop)) my computer
> > freezes. This works (of course) fine with 2.4.21-rc2. I thought the
> > problem was the module unloading, but it seems to be something with
> > irattach instead. Sorry about that.
>
> 	Disable HotPlug in your kernel and recompile. Various network
> people have been notified of this bug, but this is not an easy one.

You were right, this was the problem. Then I just have to choose what I
need the most; irda or pcmcia :)

Thanks :)

Best regards,
Stian

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23  6:30     ` Martin Diehl
From: Martin Diehl @ 2003-05-23  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> > Well, this got rid of the warning :) But actually when I stop irattach
> > (using Debian's init-script (/etc/init.d/irda stop)) my computer
> > freezes. This works (of course) fine with 2.4.21-rc2. I thought the
> > problem was the module unloading, but it seems to be something with
> > irattach instead. Sorry about that.
>
> 	Disable HotPlug in your kernel and recompile. Various network
> people have been notified of this bug, but this is not an easy one.

Seems the thread died...

> > irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 9600
> > sirdev_open - done, speed = 0
> > sirdev_schedule_request - state=0x0700 / param=9600
> > sirdev_schedule_request - down
> > irda_config_fsm - up
>
> 	Yeah, Martin should increase the debug level.

This and a few other things from the list which I've sent to you is done
in my local codebase, but needs some testing over the weekend. So you'll
see patches on monday. I guess I'll make them against what you've sent to
Jeff despite it may need some more time until this appears in bk - Ok?

Martin

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23  6:38       ` Martin Diehl
From: Martin Diehl @ 2003-05-23  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 May 2003, Stian Jordet wrote:

> > 	Disable HotPlug in your kernel and recompile. Various network
> > people have been notified of this bug, but this is not an easy one.
>
> You were right, this was the problem. Then I just have to choose what I
> need the most; irda or pcmcia :)

I bet pcmcia works without hotplug ;-)

IMHO the worst thing that might happen without hotplug would be one has to
modprobe some drivers for CardBus cards by hand. But maybe I'm missing
something because I'm not using hotplug...

Anyway, I really hope the network-hotplug deadlock issue gets resolved
before 2.6.0 or we'll see quite a number of such reports then...

Martin

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23  6:58       ` DevilKin
From: DevilKin @ 2003-05-23  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23  7:13         ` Martin Diehl
From: Martin Diehl @ 2003-05-23  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 May 2003, DevilKin wrote:

> > This and a few other things from the list which I've sent to you is done
> > in my local codebase, but needs some testing over the weekend. So you'll
> > see patches on monday. I guess I'll make them against what you've sent to
> > Jeff despite it may need some more time until this appears in bk - Ok?
>
> If there is any code I can help test, I'm more than willing :-)

Me too - but no, wrt. the rtnl-deadlock nothing that I know of. The
changes I mentioned above are merely cleanups of the sir-dev and irtty-sir
stuff completely unrelated to the deadlock.

I've just tried to ping the other thread but as was said, it's a
network/hotplug problem and definitely not easy to resolve.

Martin

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23 14:42         ` Stian Jordet
From: Stian Jordet @ 2003-05-23 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

fre, 23.05.2003 kl. 08.38 skrev Martin Diehl:
> On 23 May 2003, Stian Jordet wrote:
>
> > > 	Disable HotPlug in your kernel and recompile. Various network
> > > people have been notified of this bug, but this is not an easy one.
> >
> > You were right, this was the problem. Then I just have to choose what I
> > need the most; irda or pcmcia :)
>
> I bet pcmcia works without hotplug ;-)
I might be blind or stupid (or both), but when I disable hotplug, I
can't enable cardbus at all. :) But davem's patch worked just fine :)
*happy*

Best regards,
Stian

* Re: irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-23 23:31           ` Martin Diehl
From: Martin Diehl @ 2003-05-23 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 May 2003, Stian Jordet wrote:

> > I bet pcmcia works without hotplug ;-)
> I might be blind or stupid (or both), but when I disable hotplug, I

Sorry for the confusion, you are right. I meant it works without userland
hotplug stuff, but that's a mood point as you need to enable kernel
hotplug to get the pcmcia option even presented - ENOTENOUGHCOFFEIN 8)

> can't enable cardbus at all. :) But davem's patch worked just fine :)
> *happy*

Yep, looks pretty good now.

Martin

* irtty_sir cannot be unloaded
@ 2003-05-22 23:19 Stian Jordet
From: Stian Jordet @ 2003-05-22 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I get this message when trying to use irda with 2.5.x. I know it has
been there for a long time, but since nothing happens, I wonder if
anyone knows about it? I don't really need to unload it, but when I
reboots (or shutdowns) my pc, it hangs at "deconfiguring network
interfaces". Which is quite annoying. I guess I can change my
init-scripts to now do that, but...