* Re: 2.6.0-test3+bk: ACPI does not switch off the computer (retry)
@ 2003-08-25  2:55 Aschwin Marsman
From: Aschwin Marsman @ 2003-08-25  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel

Retry, the mail I sent yesterday didn't appear on the list.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Alex Riesen wrote:

> Actually it started happening from -test3.
> The last I see on screen is "Power down." and the system is halted.
> CAD reboots it.

The latest acpi disables acpi for all bioses before Januari 1st 2001,
I have the same problem with 2.4.22-rc3. It was "solved" by adding:
acpi=force
to my kernel boot parameters. In /var/log/messages this hint is
given if that's the case.

> -alex

Have fun,

Aschwin Marsman

--
aschwin@marsman.org              http://www.marsman.org

* Re: 2.6.0-test3+bk: ACPI does not switch off the computer (retry)
@ 2003-08-25  2:57 Aschwin Marsman
From: Aschwin Marsman @ 2003-08-25  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel

Retry, the message I sent yesterday didn't appear on the list.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Alex Riesen wrote:

> Aschwin Marsman, Sun, Aug 24, 2003 08:35:52 +0200:
> > On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Alex Riesen wrote:
> > > Actually it started happening from -test3.
> > > The last I see on screen is "Power down." and the system is halted.
> > > CAD reboots it.
> >
> > The latest acpi disables acpi for all bioses before Januari 1st 2001,
> > I have the same problem with 2.4.22-rc3. It was "solved" by adding:
> > acpi=force
> > to my kernel boot parameters. In /var/log/messages this hint is
> > given if that's the case.
> >

> Thank you, this is indeed the case. Somehow I didn't notice the messages
> in the syslog.
>
> Can't say I like that decision: acpi always worked here, at least as far
> as power off was concerned.

I totally agree, but then again, I don't know the details.

> May it make sense to let the parts working for every vendor enabled?
>
> P.S. Motherboard is ASUS CUV4X, Via Apollo PRO133Z.

My motherboard is a ASUS CUBX-L, Intel 440BX, I only use powerdown (that
I'm aware of).

Have a nice weekend.

Aschwin Marsman

--