* HT not working by default since 2.4.22
@ 2003-09-22  9:00 Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2003-09-22  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Brown, Len, Alan Cox

Hi,

Ive received a few complaints that HT, starting from 2.4.22, needs ACPI
enabled. Users who had HT working now have to use ACPI and they didnt
before.

We should have HT working AUTOMATICALLY without ACPI enabled and WITHOUT
any special boot option, as before.

Please lets fix that up

Len?

* RE: HT not working by default since 2.4.22
@ 2003-09-22 14:41 Nakajima, Jun
From: Nakajima, Jun @ 2003-09-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti, linux-kernel, Brown, Len, Alan Cox

I think we agreed on that, and Len should be working on this.

Thanks,
Jun

linux-kernel" in

* RE: HT not working by default since 2.4.22
@ 2003-09-22 17:28 Brown, Len
From: Brown, Len @ 2003-09-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti, linux-kernel, Alan Cox, Nakajima, Jun

Marcelo,

If somebody has a 2.4.22 system where CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY plus zero
cmdline parameters doesn't result in HT running and no ACPI running,
then please forward the details directly to me.

Thanks,
-Len

Ps. CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY "CPU Enumeration Only" is under the CONFIG_ACPI
menu at the request of Red Hat, who wanted to be able to disable
anything to do with ACPI with a single option (CONFIG_ACPI).  HT depends
on this part of ACPI b/c the logical HT processors are enumerated using
the ACPI MADT LAPIC entries.

@ 2003-09-24 21:56 Brown, Len
From: Brown, Len @ 2003-09-24 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: linux-kernel, Alan Cox, Nakajima, Jun, Jeff Garzik

Okay, so what to do?

We could make 2.4.23 like 2.4.21 where ACPI code for HT is included in
the kernel even when CONFIG_ACPI is not set.

Or we could leave 2.4.23 like 2.4.22 where disabling CONFIG_ACPI really
does remove all ACPI code in the kernel; and when CONFIG_ACPI is set,
CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is available to limit ACPI to just the tables part
needed for HT.

I'd prefer the later (doing nothing) because CONFIG_ACPI really should
exclude all of ACPI.  If we start including bits of ACPI without
CONFIG_ACPI, where do we stop?

I'm not sure how to address "compatibility" and "regression" concepts in
the face of changing config files.  Make oldconfig will ask you about
CONFIG_ACPI -- perhaps I should update the help text to emphasize that
it is necessary for HT, and that if selected, CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is
then available?

Is defconfig used?  Does it define "compatibility"?  If so, we could
define CONFIG_ACPI && CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY in defconfig to get the 2.4.21
behavior -- then could have our cake and eat it too.

I don't feel strongly about which way to go, but I will want to keep 2.4
and 2.6 as similar as possible in this area.

Thanks,
-Len

@ 2003-09-26  1:13 Nakajima, Jun
From: Nakajima, Jun @ 2003-09-26  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik, marcelo; +Cc: Brown, Len, Marcelo Tosatti, linux-kernel, Alan Cox

> How about the more simple CONFIG_HYPERTHREAD or CONFIG_HT?
>
> If enabled and CONFIG_SMP is set, then we will attempt to discover HT
> via ACPI tables, regardless of CONFIG_ACPI value.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks,
Jun

Cox;
> Nakajima, Jun
> Subject: Re: HT not working by default since 2.4.22
>
> marcelo@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Brown, Len wrote:
> >

> >>Okay, so what to do?
> >>
> >>We could make 2.4.23 like 2.4.21 where ACPI code for HT is included
in
> >>the kernel even when CONFIG_ACPI is not set.
> >>
> >>Or we could leave 2.4.23 like 2.4.22 where disabling CONFIG_ACPI
really
> >>does remove all ACPI code in the kernel; and when CONFIG_ACPI is
set,
> >>CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is available to limit ACPI to just the tables
part
> >>needed for HT.
> >

> > CONFIG_ACPI_HT should be not dependant on CONFIG_ACPI. So
> >
> > 1) Please make it very clear on the configuration that for HT
> > CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is needed
> > 2) Move it outside CONFIG_ACPI.
> >
> > OK?
>

> Unfortunately CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY outside and independent of
CONFIG_ACPI

@ 2003-09-26  4:54 Brown, Len
From: Brown, Len @ 2003-09-26  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik
  Cc: marcelo, Marcelo Tosatti, linux-kernel, Alan Cox, Nakajima, Jun

> Now that I've thought of it (aren't I humble), I rather like
> CONFIG_HT.
> It's simple and it's effects should be obvious to both developer and
> user:
>
> 	CONFIG_HT, CONFIG_ACPI == ACPI
> 	!CONFIG_HT, CONFIG_ACPI == ACPI
> 	CONFIG_HT, !CONFIG_ACPI == HT-only ACPI
> 	!CONFIG_HT, !CONFIG_ACPI == no ACPI
>
> Following the "autoconf model", what we really want to be testing with
> CONFIG_xxx is _features_, where possible. "hyperthreading: yes/no" is
> IMO more clear than "do I want ht-only ACPI or full ACPI",
> while at the
> same time being more fine-grained and future-proof.

I like positive logic too.
I went so far as to try to implement this back when I deleted "noht".

The problem is that "!CONFIG_HT" is meaningless.  It implies that
you can have CONFIG_ACPI but still "config-out" HT, which you can't.

Ie. The 2nd row above says to give me ACPI w/o HT.
If you delete that row and reverse the polarity you get:

!CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY, CONFIG_ACPI == ACPI
CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY, !CONFIG_ACPI == HT-only ACPI
!CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY, !CONFIG_ACPI == no ACPI

Here we can use config to emphasize that it is not possible to select
CONFIG_ACPI and CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY at the same time.

Cheers,
-Len

Ps. Note that in 2.6 CONFIG_X86_HT exists and covers the sibling code.
It depends on CONFIG_SMP, and CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY depends on it. (in the
ACPI patch)

[parent not found: <BF1FE1855350A0479097B3A0D2A80EE0CC870C@hdsmsx402.hd.intel.com>]