From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
To: Gary Wolfe <gpwolfe@cableone.net>
	Adam Belay <ambx1@neo.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [crash/panic] Linux-2.6.0-test9
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:37:30 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Gary Wolfe wrote:

> Tried test8 and, now, test9 and both exhibit same problem.
>
> The issue seems to be related to the PnPBIOS support under the Plug and
> Play Kconfig category.  When enabled I get a crash of the form:

Yes. The crash happens inside the BIOS itself, and the kernel doesn't
really have any control over it. The most Adam could possibly do is to
avoid calling the BIOS (or at least avoid _certain_ calls), but that would
require knowing what it is that triggers it.

Has PnP support ever worked for you on this board? Sometimes the solution
is to just say "it's dead, Jim", and just not enable it. There are few
enough systems that actually want PnP.

Adam, any ideas?

		Linus